Barcelona Cathedral

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Barcelona Cathedral

Post by Kiya »

No travelogue from me as I wasn't here myself :( but I did ask my son to visit the cathedral & take some photos for me once the F1 was all over, he had a great time & the weather was excellent :)
Some photos from outside & inside, excuse the quality, they are all taken with his mobile.
Best viewed if you maximise the photo.
They went up 1 of the spire's to 50 metres by elevator & come back down by stairwell, I think its 1 of the last photos you see a photo of Roy's friend, he was petrified coming down the stairwell, their is only 1 rail at the right to hold on to & the section in the middle has no rail & not much higher than ankle height & the hole is wide enough for anyone falling to the bottom......of course Roy had to take a photo & the mickey out of his poor friend......he was so glad to see the bottom :)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Barcelona Cathedral

Post by Horus »

A travelogue is a travelogue regardless of how it is put together Kiya, so well done you for doing this one and even though the quality of the pictures is not top notch they still give us a good idea of what the place is like. I see what you mean about that spiral staircase, I agree it is bit dodgy going down those steps, I wonder if anyone has actually fell down them? :o One thing is for certain, you would not get Mrs H using them. :lol: :lol: Anyway Kiya thanks for posting.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for that KIya, Barcelona and Gaudis works are on our 'to visit' list so hope to get there soon........just been waiting about 100 years for them to finish the Sagrada Familia :lol: :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Lovely, Kiya, especially the stained glass windows! One day I'll make a quilt of a stained glass window! :tk
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad I think they'll be working on the Sagrada Familia for the next 100 yrs :o

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ooh, makes me dizzy just looking at that.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Fantastic photos Kiya! Just added another place to go to.

I'm always in awe of buildings such as this. Can't fathom the amount of talent and skill and just plain hard work of the people who made these buildings. They're fantastic. Old stained glass windows also appeal to me. They're lovely. If I could I'd have ever window here turned into an old stained glass window. Love to learn how to do it myself.

Terrific photos, glad your Roy took the camera to get these shots. Wonderful!!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thought this would add some interest to anyone visiting Barcelona in the future.
The photos & some interesting history I copied from FB

Tomb of Sta. EULALIA, Patron Saint of Barcelona. Subterraneal crypt under the altar of Gothic Cathedral of Barcelona. Eulalia was a Roman Christian girl that suffered martyrdom in the age of 13 for her faith during the reign of Roman Emperor Diocletian. Born 290AD ,died 312 AD. In 8th cent. Her relics were recovered and placed in the Sta. Maria del Mar in Barcelona, till 14th cent. when the imposing Gothic Cathedral was built to immortalize her , hosting her alabaster tomb ever since.

Shot between bars that isolate the crypt from visitors . Nikon D300, Sigma 10-20mm , ISO 1250, focal length 13mm, 1/13sec @f /4.5, aperture priority, exposure bias -0,67 EV. Minimal contrast, sharpening tweaks
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Nice additions Kiya :up
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I visited Barcelona, and the cathedral, so many years ago now I've almost forgotten it. I do recall it was the first time I tried a McDonalds - should have made it my last as I'm still not impressed!

Barcelona is on my 'must re-visit' list and this time I may be able take in appriciate the whole 'Gaudi Experience'.

I do also love stained glass and even had a go at doing some a few years back, although I could never attempt anything large as I just don't have the space. In the end I did a fair bit of glass painting in the stained glass fashion which was equally satisfying. I'd recommend anyone who fancies having a got at either of these to check out their local adult education classes as it's well worth having a go. One of the most impressive and noted places for it's stained glass is Chartres Cathedral in northern France. Well worth a visit if you are in the area - and some very nice restaurants close to it too!

Ruby Slippers - a stained glass inspired quilt sounds wonderful and I think a wall hanging panel made that way would be lovely. Many of the stained glass pattern books would adapt themselves well to patchwork/quilting patterns. Have a look in your local library and you are bound to find some.
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ya know, I've never been to Spain or to Portugal for that matter (Jayway - you and I have to talk about me coming there some day for a holiday and the where I need to go, what I need to see etc etc etc) but have been about most of the other countries. I've admired each and everyone of the castles and old churches and can't even verbalize the 'feeling' that I get going into those old historic buildings. For some reason I don't think until I saw Roy's photos yesterday that I ever much even thought about Spain as having castles. One of those "duh" moments for me cause why would they not have castles - just never crossed my mind before that they would. Am really glad you shared this Kiya cause it has really given me a whole new destination to think about. The photos are tidbits of history are really apprecaited too. Didn't know it but it is really very interesting.