Are your hobbies seasonal?

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Are your hobbies seasonal?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm looking to expand my 'hobby' interests. Most of mine seem to be year long hobbies that I do 24/7 forever and then will suddenly become so bored that I stop or taper off for awhile. Does anybody have seasonal hobbies that you look forward to doing dependent on the time of the year or are most of your hobbies basically full time interests?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Are your hobbies seasonal?

Post by Horus »

I tend to keep the same hobbies and interests although on occasion I add a new one into the pot, but they mainly centre around Computers, Camera's, Walking & Gardening, I also enjoy music.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Well, I don't need to say what my major hobby is, do I? But I also read a lot and spend a lot of time on my PC. I also enjoy cooking - when I feel in the mood - and love travelling when the time and opportunity arise.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Most of my hobbies do seem to remain the same throughout the year but I do know that some people go into high gear at different times to do different crafts to meet different seasonal times. I do crochet dish clothes (24 of them) in the fall so that my daughters can have one per month for the next year. Other than that there isn't much that I do 'seasonally' so was curious if there was something hobby-wise or tradition-wise that others do seasonally for a change to the usually hobbies that we do day by day.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Card making is very popular here in the UK, LLL! That's fairly seasonal, I imagine.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

As in Christmas cards? Or cards for all occasions all seasons?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Two things I save for the winter months LLL.

Firstly to spend more time on the family history stuff, and secondly to work with some pictures using Horus's valuable tutorials.....well we are nearly at the end of May and I have done neither. So much for good intentions, a bit like new years resolutions I suppose.

From spring and through summer we try to get out and visit National Trust properties around the country. We have such a rich heritage and some wonderful places to see.

Short holiday breaks around the UK are very nice because, being retired, we can avoid bank holidays and school holidays.

Like Horus and others, I spend a lot of time on my computer, and never go anywhere without a camera.

I guess these are not really hobbies but I enjoy my leisure time......
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Grandad - I'm actually taking up your suggestion re: capturing family for the off-winter months. I like the idea of capturing the year albeit by a book or a single photo - but something memorable that lasts. Every time I see the family now I take mega photos and will work on lots of them come this fall to put them into a beginning family album. From that I want to extract either your idea of having a photo make into a wall hanging type picture or a book.

To that end I was exploring Ebay and came across a site that did turn a photo into an oil painting AND the bidding started at $10. I thought to myself "WOW" - not bad at all however on further read of the site the $10 was only the start. It was a flat $100 per PERSON in the photo you sent them and went up depending on the size of the picture you wanted. Will pass on this one and keep looking for a studio or publishing house etc around here that can and will do them better. I know the big outlets - Costco, Walmart do do these but I've seen some of the quality that has come out and it isn't the best.

On another note - I'm going to assemble a bunch of the photos of the twins and write a story insert their pictures as the boy heros or adventurers. This I'm going to just put on paper and print it from the computer and then insert the papers back to back inside plastic sleeves and make it into like a child's story book. On of my first challenges though is to actually make up an adventure story. The one of us who has real skills in this area is Horus. Some of his writings are fantastic - very descriptive.

If the twins fall, bonk or otherwise injure themself the best "owy" fixer for them, after Mom kissed the boo-boo better, is to sit in front of the notebook and look at photos of themselves. Always brings an immediate smile to their faces to see themselves.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LLL, my DIL's mother had a book printed last Christmas for my granddaughter and everything was personalised; e.g. name; address, helping Father Christmas deliver the presents all over the world. She loves it. Maybe it's something you could look into?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - good idea..........I'm liking the coming up with something really personal and unique that you can't just run down to a store and buy.