No need for a flash?

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

No need for a flash?

Post by Horus »

Not sure if I should have used a flash! ;)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Is that for real H? Great capture :)

I often wonder if a flash trigger would be fired by a lightening flash fast enough to capture the lightening. A fork like yours always seems to remain momentarily, long enough for a shutter to fire????

On the subject of 'Do I need flash', when will people learn that using flash at a concert or sports event will not improve the shot, more likely spoil it. Often it is a case that AUTO knows best without flash.

Returning from Luxor there was a brilliant sunset from above the clouds. A lady behind in a window seat was flashing away :( I suggested that she turned off her flash which she did, hope she got some good shots other than the flash back from the window........

I didn't get it, Mrs G was in the window seat and told me about it :x
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus fantastic pic :) wish I could capture one like it...................btw what is the building ??
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree with you about using flash Grandad, how often do you see people taking pictures of things miles away or in really large buildings or from aircraft and expecting that it will come out nice and bright. :roll: I suppose to some degree it is because a lot of 'point and shoot' cameras give people so little control over it, so they imagine it must do something when it goes off. :)

Now as to the photograph ................. unlike some I could name, I never try to pass off a doctored picture as anything other than what it is, so folks, I confess to it being a manipulation. ;)
I was having a play around in Photoshop and drawing in some lightning bolts using various techniques. The picture I posted is a composite of the local Victorian Folly that I told you about the other day when I was out taking pictures and a cloudy sky that I took at some time or another. I replaced the sky in the original and turned everything Mono before darkening the whole picture, I then added the lightning bolts and saved the finished picture.

Here is another one that I did this afternoon, like Grandad, I was bored with the bad weather. ;)

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

You having been busy Horus, very nice result :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks Kiya :) I thought it may get everyones creative juices flowing ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Not sure if I've shown these before, as part of my college course I had to take night scenes without flash, these were the best I had at the time.
I had the ISO at 1600 as far as it would go.

Taken just before midnight on a clear night.

In kitchen with lights off
bigken

Post by bigken »

Your right Grandad, was at Wembley Saturday night :( ( and plenty of others football matches over the years) and you just can't believe how many flashes you see going off :?, I imagine they would be a lot of dark images and people puzzled as to why the stadium wasn't nice and bright
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I like the church one Kiya :) what a shame that there was not a little more illumination higher up the spire, it would have looked exceptionally good, but of course that is not your fault and it looks great with what light was available. :)
sue

Post by sue »

So effective Horus, They are brilliant. I would love to learn how to do that sometime. I really only know the basics like enhance and changing light levels in psp.
I like yours as well Kiya, nice tower and love the candles.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks Sue :D
As there are so many budding photographers on here, I did offer in the past to do a few tutorials, but I don't think there was much interest. For my own part I really enjoy not only taking the picture, but what I can maybe do with it afterwards, there are so many ways of enhancing a picture that it seems a pity not to use those techniques. ;)