Suggestions for Photo Comp

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Suggestions for Photo Comp

Post by Horus »

Please post your ideas here for the photo competition. :)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm thinking with photography the topics should be broad and more conceptual than specific and narrow - hence these are my ideas for photography topics .

1) Colour
2) Different perspective
3) Something Light
4) Children
5) Space
6) Movement
7) Flowers
8) Old
9) Faces
10) Inside Out
11) The Best
12) Fast
13) Slow
14) Birds
15) Metal
16) Still
17) Contrast
18) Animals
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

The L4U comp is now opened up with a much broader brief and I think that is good because it was getting a bit stale.

Perhaps we will be a little more radical here and push for more conceptual interpretation and not just depend on pictures in our albums.

I agree with LLL's take on subject titles, I think the shorter the title, the more open it is. I would add titles like:
Red
Blue
Green (ie. A specific colour)
Stainless
Shiny
Union
Autos
Hi Fi
Reflections
Stars and stripes (I have included this because I remember a very innovative winner, a long time ago, in a photo comp with this title. :) )
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Had another thought, actually it more like I had a 'memory and remembered' but the New York Times has done this where they get everybody to take a photo at a specific time then publish all the results that come in from around the world. Be neat to do something like that to 'see' what everybody is 'seeing' at exactly the same time their time i.e. 1pm on the dot.

Another thing we could do too is to be very specific about a topic (verses being really general), giving a short timeline (as in 1 week) to completion to see how everybody else interprets the specific topic.

Just a couple more thoughts that came to me. I'd like the contest to be different and interesting so that we'd have to do something different i.e. Must take a photo of something in a reflection, night shot, blurred picture - the idea of using a special effect.......
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, you must have read my mind :) I was about to make a post today asking if anyone would be interested in a weekly photo 'Task' as well as keeping the Monthly competition.

The weekly task would go along the lines of a set theme for the week, so it could for example have the theme 'texture' and everyone would just make their own interpretation of the word and submit their picture. The idea would be to keep it simple by making it possible for people not to have to leave home to complete the task.

It would be a 'just for fun' challenge to see how inventive we can all be and will only reflect the opinion of that particular judge for that week only. The judge may enter a picture for explanation purposes or just for fun, but obviously they cannot choose their own picture as the winner ;)

We could make it run from say Monday morning until the following Sunday night at say 6pm. After which it would close to new entries. Whoever won the last time will judge what they think is the best picture in their opinion for that week, but may also make comments on other pictures if they wish.

It would be up to the person judging to announce the weeks winner before say 8 pm. That same evening, on the same thread.
It is then up to the new winner to set the 'subject' for the following week and to do so before midday on the Monday by starting a fresh thread with the next appropriate date.

We would need to keep a common title to the threads so that people know where they are, so I suggest starting at and using the following system:
WPT (1) 17-23 JAN to abbreviate = Weekly Photo Task, number 1, for the week 17-23 of January

Continuing with:
WPT (2) 24-30 JAN
WPT (3) 31 JAN-6 FEB
WPT (4) 7-13 FEB
WPT (5) 14-20 FEB
WPT (6) 21-27 FEB
WPT (7) 28 FEB-6 MAR

& so on.

Of course we may have to make some slight changes to these rules to accommodate different time zones, but for now I suggest we use this forum’s current time and date.

So what do you all think?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sounds like a good idea to me
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Anyone else interested?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Give it a whirl for a couple of weeks H. Not wishing to be a party pooper but I would imagine that there are very few of us with time on our hands to offer something new each week......

Go on then, prove me wrong. :) :) :)

And I hope I am...........
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You may be right Grandad :) although my idea was not something that took up much time, but just something that could be done and uploaded in at most about half an hour, once a week.
Anyway lets just let this thread run a bit longer and see if there is any more interest, as I said to you some time ago, the problem with photo competitions of any kind is generating enough support, so they eventually die off. :?
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Here's another possible theme A-Z you start with A and the photo can be anything begining with A eg abstract, angles, apes etc.

And whatever the theme I'll do my best to enter.

Brian
BillH

Post by BillH »

I'll just chuck in my two penneth worth here, but back in my College days, we would take 2 random words and attempt to portray those words in a picture, or at least the meaning of the words..

One in particular I recall.. "Oblique" - "Diminished"
I did OK on that one..

Maybe this will help fuel the brains for some subject matter ???.

I am determined to get the dust of my Old SLR and take some proper photo's this year, it has been in retirement for so long. :oops:
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks for the replies Brian & Bill, that was the gist of my idea, choose a topic, word, colour, item or whatever and interpret it in any way you choose. My example of 'texture' could attract pictures of tree bark, cats fur, stonework, fabrics, wood or a million other ideas, just so long as they have a texture. :)
Ideally it would be something that most of us could say,"Ooh, I know what, I will take a snap of the dogs ears" then just upload it, nothing more complicated than that, the best/cleverest picture in the judges opinion would win. :D