Stained Glass Windows

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Absolutely excellent Grandad :br: wonderful pictures and narative :) what a pity that more people do not visit and read our site, especially with such great contributions as this to read. Those stained glass windows are spectacular and you were so very lucky to see them so pristine and so up close, they are all great pictures. :)

I was never a great fan of modern art, but I must say that this particular one by Gormley does have a certain appeal and impact, it being made from historic nails and hung in that particular location. I can also imagine the haunting notes of a well played flute floating over the air, it must have been quite magical.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to take the pictures and to upload them for us to share.

Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Yes

Post by Jayway »

YES. Thankyou , all of you, for the photos and the stories, very much appreciated - - :br: :rx:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Fantastic Grandad! Asolutely marvelous. Your photos are excellent it is wonderful hearing about the Chapel. I'm drooling over those stained glass windows.........From 1200's!!! WOW....that is fantastic.

I do like the statue too - interesting to say the least, appropriate and applicable. For me, it is different and I will remember and recall it and mull it over from time to time so to that end the artist has achieve a certain level of his purpose cause he has created something that will be remembered and recalled and thought about. It does carry meaning to me that I will further consider and define.

Love your posts Grandad!!
jewel

Post by jewel »

What fab pictures grandad......very inspiring and it looks a really fascinating place to visit, it is now down on my bucket list! Thanks :)
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Fantastic photos grandad :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Cheers folks :) It drifted a bit from stained glass windows but I just felt bound to round off telling you a little about the 'Seat' of the Anglican Community....... The Majestic Canterbury Cathedral :)
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

A little 'drifting' is always permitted and welcomed Grandad ;) it often adds interest. :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As I was messing about in Photoshop trying to create a stained glass window, I thought I would bring this one back up again. :)
This is one that I created without any special plugins, just using the various filter effects within the program in an attempt to simulate a real glass effect. I did use an original picture of a rose to give me the centre picture, as I am not that good at freehand drawing. :roll:

Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Like it H.

How strange you should bring this topic back because when I set out this morning I thought - I'll go to York and take a picture of the York minster's rose window - no luck - covered in scaffolding. Had a walk around the wall but then it started to rain so sitting in the car at the moment (no internet or mobile signal back at the campsite).
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus very good & I love the pink ! did you get the grey framing as a filter too ??
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

All the filters exist in Photoshop Kiya, but the actual 'leaded' line is something you have to make. :)
Basically you just create a layer to draw your line on (say about 10 wide) then double click on that layer and choose the 'Bevel & Emboss' option, a few quick changes and hopefully your line will look like it is made from lead as in a stained glass window, I can give you better instructions if you want to try one. :)

Here is one that I did by using a photograph that I took some years ago at Denderah and then adding your forum name. If you notice, I have also used variations of the colours from the original Denderah picture for the colours of the stained glass.

Better viewed large size, sorry that it has that bloody Scarab all over it :roll: Can we not make it less obtrusive on the new forum Keefy?
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus thats brilliant :D & yes give the better instructions.........I can try although I still have slight probs working with layers.........not sure I'll have the patience either :oops:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad you liked it Kiya :)
I can PM you some step by step instructions if you have Photoshop and you could try following them a step at a time if you like :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks Horus or you can e-mail.

I have PS CS3 which I've just had a quick look at, not sure I can do it in PSElements 7........but I'm all for trying ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ok, will do :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

MY FIRST ATTEMPT

Post by Kiya »

My 1st attempt at designing a stained glass window but not without the help, effort, patience & daily written instructions from Horus, I couldn't have done it without him.......Thanks a million Horus :)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Are you into layers now Kiya :?:

Well done and a great effort :)

PS. I too have often called on some assistance from our forum friend Horus. I am sure that you and I Kiya are not alone in calling on our 'backroom boy' for help with photo editing..........

A big thank you Mate :)
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You are most welcome Kiya :) and may I say what an excellent student you were. ;)
I can also say without any contradiction, because I set the exercise myself, that your finished result is absolutely perfect! :) So very well done. :br:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks for your kind words Grandad :) only too happy to help out if I can. ;)
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

10 out of ten for both student and teacher.