Stained Glass Windows

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Stained Glass Windows

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ever since I visited all the wonderful cathedrals and palaces in France as a teenager I've been in awe of stained glass. We don't see much of it as in the 'good old days' but it is sooo beautiful.

I was in a little town called Tenino the other day and passed by a small small tiny church. All that distiguished this white building was a simple cross on the spire and these stained glass windows. I wanted to go inside and be able to look out through them but unfortunately although I tried the door it was locked.

Anybody have any other photos of stained glass windows they can share? They're a beautiful visual and a boost to the soul of my memories.

These are the simple windows of this little rural church but they do speak of an innate held beauty.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

We have lots of modern and very old stained glass in the churches and Cathedrals of the UK, unfortunately most are locked due to vandalism and are only open during services or other events, which is very sad. I do not have any to post, but when the weather gets better I may take a few pictures (it would make a good photography topic) :)
So here is one I created some time ago in PSP, not a religious theme though. :roll:

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

NICE one H!!! BEAUTIFUL!

Ever since I visit Versailles and some of the other Cathedrals and Churches I have loved stained glass. Not too sure what it is about it that brings out my fascination but I do love it lots. I'd LOVE to see other stained glass both from the inside AND outside! It is truly beautiful!

This is another small church with pretty plain stained glass windows in a small town called "Littlerock." The population of this area is counted in the couple of hundred. It is interesting that while the windows are just big squares of colour they're still of a stained glass fashion. I can't imagine that inside these windows would look 'wonderful' but they still reflect the attempts at a form of art. Definitely not Westminister or Versailles but still has the 'stained glass effect'

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I had to find this one too H but I took it this past year when I was in an old old church in Honolulu Hawaii. Lovely feature window at the entrance.

I'll have to look for them but all the side windows were stained glass and many had dates incorporated right into the window form the mid to late 1800s. I know the theme of the window here is religious but the 'art' component of this is wonderful.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree, the art is wonderful :) when in Paris did you get to see the 'Rose window' at Notre Dame? I never got to take apicture , but it is really beautiful.
Bye the bye, ....................... isnt Littlerock the home of Bill Clinton?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ahh yes - Clinton is from Little Rock Arkansas. This little tiny place is in Washington (Pacific Northwest).

I did get to see the Rose Window but didn't get a decent picture. It was back in the days of me having a film camera and I wasn't as enthusiastic about taking photos in those days. I did but not as much as today.

I truly love stained glass and there are some around here. Am going to start photographing them and putting together a collection. Each window is such a work of art. Love 'em all even the really plain windows. Still an effort to add colour and something artistic.
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

This was taken in '87 on a cheap 35mm automatic camera and scanned today. I had two cameras with me that day - my proper all singing all dancing Canon - except it didn't tell me I didn't have a film in it - only found out after getting home duh!!!
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

OK I need 10 posts before I can post a picture - only 6 or 7 to go. The photo is in the misc album
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

On behalf of Bearded Brian here is the stained glass window. I have only 1 word for it BB - BEAUTIFUL! (I posted it for you here). Can you tell me more please about where you took this? Looks really old....

Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Thanks LLL both for posting the picture and your comments.

This was taken inside Notre Dame - not sure if it's the rose window or not - will have to Google it.

Brian
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Just Googled it and yes it is the rose window. Will post a picture from outside as soon as I've scanned it [and reached 10 posts]

Brian
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Well couldn't wait for the 10th post so you can see the Rose Window from outside in the misc album.

Brian
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hey BB - you're up to 7 posts now!! I cut and pasted this photo of yours from the Misc Album and here your "outside" of Notre Dame.

This IS a phenomenal stained glass piece. Maybe one of the most well known in the world? (I don't statistically know this but it truly is so beautiful).

Was actually arguing with a co-worker about stained glass windows and his opinion is they deteriorate over time. True? I thought they were quite strong myself and don't know if this window has required refurbishing or maintenance.

Thanks for posting it BB. It is terrific.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

These are two more photos from an old historic Church in Hawaii - Honolulu.

This photo is as the window is seen from the inside looking out

And this is one of the windows on the outside. This is an old church pre-electronic media. That the windows are so bright, intricate and beautiful on the inside must have given the parishoners an uplifting sense of awe or wonder at walking into the church and seeing such beauty. From the outside the windows look nice but you can't see the same detail and colour as inside.

Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

thanks again LLL

Yes stained glass windows do need to be restored for various reasons - movement of the building over 100s years can put too much pressure on the glass and it cracks, too much acid pollution eats into the glass and lead - some colours are more likely to be affected than others.

I like the way you have managed to capture the colours and show the details of the interior too.

Brian
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Couldn't resist joining in here. My local cathedral is full of stained glass windows but unfortunately I don't have any good pictures.

This is St Anselms window which adorns a side chapel. All windows were removed for the duration of WW2 and that was a wise move because all of the temporary windows were blown in during the blitz. The cathedral itself only suffered modest damage to the library and I can remember the cathedral standing tall and surrounded by buildings razed to the ground.

The window was restored and replaced in 1959.

:gg:
Morgita

Post by Morgita »

That's fabulous Grandad. The window looks like it might tell a story, perhaps the story of St Anselm. Any more info?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Some really great pictures from LLL, Brian & Grandad :) It is a facinating subject especially from a photographic standpoint, it has such variation and colour, not to mention history. I do know that many of these windows do date back a very long way and although they must be receiving some sort of maintenance, I am sure that most of them have the original glass in them.

I did not have a camera when I visited Notre Dame, but I remember being awstruck by the Rose Window, I have seen a similar one somewhere else, but I do not know where, does anyone else know of another that is similar?

By the way nice to see Morgita, Brian & Grandad over on this side making contributions. :)
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

York Minster has a rose window
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That may be it Brian! :)
I must have a dig about in my pictures ;)