Evacuation

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Evacuation

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Seems the fates are not happy with us and if it isn't one thing it Is another. Right now about 11 minutes ago a State of Emergency has been declared due to a huge fire raging out of control down by the Airport. City has requested people evacuate that area and Police are going door to door ensuring people have left their homes.

The fire right now isn't too close to me but smoke is heavy here. Been plotting my 'escape' route to the water if it comes to having to leave. Hopefully not but weather is predicting we're heading into another hot spell with no rain in sight so am really hoping they get this fire under control soon.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Evacuation

Post by Horus »

Wildfires seem to be everywhere in the world this year, even in the UK we have had our share.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I dearly hope that this present spate of fires stops very soon (of course. )
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm hoping they can get a handle on these fires soon too.

These last couple of years have been crazy with fires starting everywhere. Doesn't help with all the smokers dropping their cigarette butts everywhere either.

I've heard nothing much else of the fire that is burning here causing the evacuation. Hopefully they've got it under control (but the weather isn't helping much)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

No updates re: fire although lots of calling for people to house other people and their pets.

Then an interesting tidbit. Apparently we have Mars Water Bombers (huge planes used in Firefighting) sitting here. The Province cancelled their contract and won't let them be used to fight fires now (not sure any details) so we have fire fighting equipment sitting here not being used while people are being evacuated from their homes due to a 260 hectare wild fire that is out of control...........and some cryptic tidbits that IF we use them the Province will levy fines against the City ........ ?????

Just scratching my head and sipping my coffee. Is it just ME or does the world truly seem to be going crazy?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Definitely crazy :?
Smile! It confuses people
BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

I remember reading the last two Martin Mars water bombers are no longer serviceable.
The Philippine Mars is destined for a museum and the Hawaii Mars was damaged at Oshkosh in 2016 and is still under repair.
There are other water bombers in service though.
Let's hope that you will escape the fires in your region.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

There is lots of discussion here re: Mars Water Bombers. They're sitting here and the Province has said they can't be used BUT they're sitting here as surrounded by fire but the Province won't give the Company (Coulsons) a contract. Some residents have grouped together to Petition the Mayor to take it upon himself to order the Water Bombers into operation.

The only other thing I've read about them (I think day before yesterday) was that they are getting older and since they've been mothballed it would take about 5 days to get them ready to fly and work again.

I've seen them drop water and skim the lakes (Sproat Lake) collecting water. They're really something.