Mobility Aids

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Mobility Aids

Post by Grandad »

I know that I have mentioned in the past that I have a chronic condition that limits my mobility. I can walk one or two hundred metres slowly but then need a rest. My heart condition doesn't help :xx

I have also talked about getting a mobility scooter but to get one of the larger types would IMO be selfish as it would give me a degree of freedom but only on my own and I would not consider that.

Our daughter and SiL have been great in inviting us to join them if they are going out but that can be limited if visiting a National Trust property or going to a mall such as Bluewater.

My daughter has a two year old Fiat 500, a proper girlie car, but not big enough with only 2 doors. Last weekend she made a suggestion that she will get a larger car and I can get a car boot scooter that disassembles and fits in a car boot.

She gets her new car tomorrow and I get my scooter on Wednesday. So after a drawn out period of considering the options, I shall have a small scooter perfectly capable of taking me to local shops, post office etc, AND a conveyance for when needed on various outings.

I do predict a problem though, they will all want a go.. :lol: :lol:

This is the scooter I am buying. The basket will go leaving just 4 components when taken apart. No tools needed, it all clips together and has a maximum loading of 21 stone. :up

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Mobility Aids

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

:mb: :mb: That looks a pretty Skookum machine! :mb: :mb:

When you say "car boot scooter" you're talking about this will attach to the back of a car so it can be carried like canoes & bikes?

I'm thinking this is perfect for your situation as it does give you the option of getting out and about for immediate needs if needed plus it looks light weight enough for easy transport if you're getting it loaded into a car.

I see these everywhere here. Some people seem to have this size while others have HUGE scooters that have tops & windshields plus carrying space for groceries. IMO the ideal option for getting you out and about which, to me, is vital to keep YOUNG! (even if only YOUNG at heart)

I have ever intention of keeping going for as long as I can and although I wasn't happy when the City cut down all the trees at the end of my street and is now putting in a proper paved street with sidewalks and 22 building lots this WILL allow me, if I had a scooter, to get through to the grocery store/coffee shop/pharmacy without having to go the long way all around all the streets which adds about 2 miles each direction.

@Grandad - once your :mb: :mb: scooter arrives do they send a tech to show you all the ins and outs of maintenance or has that already been accomplished at the store?

I'd also be interested in knowing how much electricity it takes to run it. How long to charge a battery and what the actual cost of keeping it up and running is.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I hope you will be very happy with your new "Steed" Grandad. :up

At the end of my daughter's recent stay, I asked her if she would mind if I part-exchanged my scooter for a different/new one, as she had very generously bought the one I have.

I tried out a lot of scooters in Blue Water where you can hire them for half a day, when I first started to look one that suited me. When it came to buying, believe it or not they refused to sell me one as they couldn't find one that was suitable for my long legs and I'm not comfortable spending long with my feet tucked under me. :(

Anyway in the fullness of time we saw one on Gumtree. It was lovely, in pristine condition, great for leg length, all the extras and 30mile range. My daughter and I drove it round the car park near the owner's house, up and down the kerbs and it was wonderful. Priced at £800 it's original invoice was for £2,400 which I was shown. The owner brought it home and all seemed well. The previous owner had arthritis in her shoulders and preferred her old small scooter.

I hadn't accounted for the difficulty in getting the machine in and out of the front door of our old house, nor negotiating the dog leg in our hall to park it in a more convenient place.

I had a ramp made for the door, but my left shoulder deteriorated greatly and I wasn't confident about the difficult access by myself and without help as of course I live alone.

The battery has been used for less than 20 minutes since new and there are still wisps of rubber on the tyres which haven't yet worn off.

I still have the leg and shoulder problem, but I can't be the only one hampered in that way, surely? So I'll keep searching.
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys
30 mile range? That must have been one of those big jobs. I did think seriously about one of those but it was not the answer for me. This one has a claimed 13 mile range which I will read as about 9 miles. I never believe all these claimed performance figures which are achieved under ideal conditions. My bank is right in the centre of town and little over a mile from my home. It also has a user capacity of 21 - 23 stone, depending on which report you read. So I am well within that. The scooter was just £575 tax exempt ;)

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL. a boot to us is probably a trunk to you. This scooter takes apart in seconds into 4 main components that will fit into the 'trunk' of most cars. I have no idea about running costs but they will be minimal. As for assembly and use, it's simplicity itself. :up
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - ahh ok - so the plan is to put it IN the trunk/boot. I wondered because there there are all sorts of hitches that attach to your car in various ways to carry everything from bikes to canoes to cargo trunks and many do attach to the door of the trunk.

Personally I'd prefer it went IN the trunk vs hanging off the back. I'd carry my & the girls bikes (in year past) hooked to the back of the car but I didn't like doing it that much.

It must not really weigh that much then. Wise not to count on the specs the Seller will give you as I've never yet had a car that lives up to exactly what the specs said they were.

I definitely think these are the answer to facilitate everybody getting around.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I have only tried out one scooter and that was a folding one. I really like the idea of it but unfortunately, the tiller and seat weren't adjustable which meant that my arms were fully stretched out to drive it, which wouldn't have been safe. It was really neat though! You either used a button or keyfob to fold it or unfold it, which was automatic, and when it was folded, you could pull it along behind you like a shopping trolley.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Looks good Grandad :up you'll be going around em shops in no time :)