Wagamama

Places in Egypt that you don't recommend members or guests to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Wagamama

Post by Winged Isis »

Was under-impressed and very disappointed by this place (in City Stars Mega Mall), especially as I was introducing my husband and a friend to Japanese food for the first time.

The miso was uninspiring and very oily.
Don't order anything deep-fried as they arrive dark brown, dried out and tasteless.
The peach iced tea had a strange taste. I buy Liptons a lot, for a change from water, and it was NOT Liptons. Disappointing, as this was also a first for the others, who usually stick to chai or Bepsi.
The main course was nearly cold and the prawns tasteless and hard, so we sent it back.

Service (and their English) was excellent.
It was spotless and had smoking/non-smoking sections well-separated.

Thumbs down :(

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Sorry to hear that WI.

:(

Everything I've eaten has been lovely there.
Only thing I didn't like was once I had an apple and ??? something fresh drink and it had separated a bit.

Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

He would have hated it no matter how good it was. He's coming straight from the village. Do you really think you can introduce someone like that who has eaten nothing but a very limited Egyptian village diet all his life to Japanese food and he is going to like it right away? You have to introduce different food gradually and Japanese is probably one of the last you should introduce. It's important to understand your husband's basic preferences-eg salty, creamy, sweet, sour, spicy and then introduce him first to cuisines that have similar tastes. Throwing a Saidi into Japanese like that is crazy.

BTW, Ebi, did you hear they are about to open a new Wagamama in Nile City Towers?

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Yep Glyph
November from what I can gather :)

I'm glad because that one is much closer to us than City Stars. The drive for us out to Medinet Nasr is horrendous, although sometimes I do like a 'shufty' around Spinney's out there.
Spinney's is coming to 6 October!!! YAY.
Now we have all the major stores so no need to go to Cairo at all now
:lol:

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

GD yet again you jump to the wrong conclusions. Actually HE liked the Japanese, as did his friend. If you read my post again, you will see it was ME who was disappointed, having eaten it many times back home, at places friends who have visited Japan many times recommend as authentic. The main dish (a curry) wasn't bad once they brought us a hot version, except for the titchy little rubber "prawns" you get everywhere, and rubber beans. The fried food was a very dark brown, leaking excess oil and tasteless; obviously re-cooked, possibly more than once. They didn't like these either, and commented on the colour even before I had a chance to. Everything else was good. It's just that the Japanese are such perfectionists, and these were basic mistakes unacceptable in any restaurant.

Maybe it was an "off night"; even the best restaurants have them. I always give a place a second if not third chance, depending on how bad it was. We will probably just avoid the fried food when we go back in January, or if we try it, will send it back if it is no better.

Again you jump and miss widely: My husband, has not come "straight from the village", having lived in cities, and has eaten various international cuisines, both in restaurants and cooked by me, and cooked some himself as he loves cooking, including creating some of his own dishes. He likes to try other cuisines and was the one who suggested Japanese as first choice. I suggested Mexican first. I know my husband, thank you all the same.

We shopped in Spinney's and were impressed with the range of products, but not the crowds; it wasn't a Friday but you could hardly move (thank God for elbows and shopping trolleys, as "Lau sammat! "was useless!) :lol:

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Best time to go food shopping is between 10 and midday on Friday before prayers.

:mrgreen:

That's when ex pats shop and Egyptians sleep :lol: or are getting ready for prayers.

The roads are soooooooooooo quiet too! :)

Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

So you shop in cairo the same time as i used to shop in hurghada :) nice to shop without these rude egyptian ladies who don't know what a queue is and not be whammed in the back by a trolley or watch their kids doing the shoplifting for them :roll: Oh how i miss the joys of living in egypt lol ;) Ebikatsu just been to M&S they have underwear you would die for and have offer on for two what they call everyday bra's for £12 also they now deliver to egypt when you shop online £25 delivery charge but they didn't say what weight that covers :roll: i love M&S but not that much that i would pay that amount ;)

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Good advice, Ebi, will keep it in mind for January, thanks! We didn't have much choice when we went this time though, as we were working around our friends' commitments.

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

:( :(

Oh I miss M&S.................

I did strike it lucky last week in Carrefour though :)
managed to get 2 bra's, but not the conventional ones, nylon sporty types and had one on yesterday and felt great. No bouncing boobs :mrgreen:

I was looking for a pic to show you but you might find this a bit more 'eye opening'!!! :?

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

I had no idea that this type of piercing was going on..................Image

Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Watched a programme quite a long time ago about body piercing and men and women on there had piercings everywhere and i mean everywhere :? also i woman who had her tongue split like a snakes :roll: :roll: Hate all these piercings only thing i have pierced are my ears. :D

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

Ow Ow Ow Ow Ow!!!

We got decent bras up here now, thank goodness. I just hope the bloody shop doesn't shut down before I need one, because Mum has stocked me up with enough bras to last me til I die!

HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]Yuk - those body piercings have made me feel queezy. [/face] :(
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Goddess wrote:Ow Ow Ow Ow Ow!!!

We got decent bras up here now, thank goodness. I just hope the bloody shop doesn't shut down before I need one, because Mum has stocked me up with enough bras to last me til I die!
lucky dog!!

I have to go to City Stars to find anything decent :roll:

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Eeeeuuuwwww!!! Grosss!!! Don't even have my ears pierced... cannot see the need with clip-ons! Don't believe in disfiguring god-given bodies with them or tattoos. I just don't get it. :ni: And don't try and tell me it doesn't hurt... I've seen it done! :)

Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Saw a chin piercing on an Egyptian today! Not sure 100% she was Egyptian, might have been Sudanese but definitely was speaking Arabic. I certainly hope that nasty body piercing trend hasn't reached Egypt finally.

cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

From Japanese food to bras to body-piercing!!! typical off-topic ramblings, lol!
CATHERINE

I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . . . I went down down down and the flames went higher . . . and it burns, burns, burns . . that ring of fire, that ring of fire!

PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Well, you know, Catherine, it gets to be like a bunch of friends talking.
"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain

cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

Yes I know . . . I am a tangential conversationalist myself!!! :lol:
CATHERINE

I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . . . I went down down down and the flames went higher . . . and it burns, burns, burns . . that ring of fire, that ring of fire!

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Now I was in Wagamama CS on Friday night and I have to agree with WI that it was not good.
Previously it has been great food, but this time the noodles were soggy and it just lacked that zing it used to have.

Now I am wondering if this is because they are opening the new branch in Nile Tower and have recruited a whole load of new staff, the two managers are gone and the new one just isn't so on the ball?

They've definitely had a 'cabinet reshuffle' :mrgreen: and things are not the same.

Maybe once the new one opens in Nile Towers they will get back to normal so will try it out again.

One thing was delicious though. The Orange sesame chicken...oh and the chilli chocolate torte as always :mrgreen: