Egypt's police defuse 150 explosive devices in 3 months

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt's police defuse 150 explosive devices in 3 months

Post by DJKeefy »

Explosives experts at the interior ministry managed to defuse more than 150 explosive devices in different governorates over the past three months, according to the ministry’s official spokesman.

General Hany Abdel-Latif, speaking at a press conference on Friday, said that the Egyptian police force had lost more than 50 members, including officers, low ranking officers and conscripts, in violence over the past three months.

The spokesman denied reports of abuse and rape of detainees in Egyptian prisons and in police custody.

After the ousting of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi on 3 July last year, attacks against security forces escalated rapidly. Around 500 police and military personnel have been killed since then.

The government has accused supporters of ousted president Morsi of orchestrating attacks against security personnel. The Brotherhood has denied any link to violence against the authorities.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/105472.aspx

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Egypt's police defuse 150 explosive devices in 3 months

Post by Horus »

Wow! :o I did not realise the amount of military personnel killed was that high. It puts it all in perspective when you realise that in more than 30 years of IRA violence and indiscriminate bombing in Northern Ireland and mainland UK that around 3500 civilians, police and military were killed. That was a well documented and open war against the UK in general with some real atrocities committed and no holds barred. As bad as it was at times the tally of dead amounted to around 117 per year on average, so at this rate Egypt is well ahead at this point in time with over 500 killed in one year and it is not yet even an 'in the open' declared attack on the state as was the IRA campaign, so this does not bode well for the future. 8)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Egypt's police defuse 150 explosive devices in 3 months

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Aww geez - I had to read this article twice because on my first skim through I read it that 50 Egyptian police were killed whilst diffusing the bombs!! On initial read I was thinking that Egyptian police could be that badly trained that they might be unfortunately exploding bombs. Had to re-read and now I do agree with H that these stats are high.