Road accidents claim almost 18 lives per day in Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Road accidents claim almost 18 lives per day in Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Around 18 people were killed daily in road accidents in Egypt last year, according to a recent report from the Central Agency for Public Mobilisation and Statistics (CAPMAS), the country's statistical body.

The figure is slightly up from 2012, when an average of 17.6 persons were killed per day in road accidents.

A total of 50,051 accidents took place in 2013, 0.04 percent higher than in 2012, according to the report, with the highest number of accidents occurring in December (5,105).

Fifty percent of Egyptians who died on the road were between 15 and 19 years old, added the report.

Over 8 percent of the accidents took place in the Nile Delta's Sharqiya governorate, which ranked the highest nationwide.

Meanwhile, the number of fatalities from train accidents reached 781 in 2013, almost 74 percent more than in 2012, which saw 447 train-related deaths.

According to the report, deficiencies in train crossings were the main cause of accidents, responsible for over 55 percent.

International and local reports estimate that Egypt leads the Middle East when it comes to road accidents and related deaths. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), road accidents are considered one of the main causes of death in Egypt.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/103872.aspx

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Road accidents claim almost 18 lives per day in Egypt

Post by Grandad »

I am not surprised by those figures and I am sure that they reflect the poor standard of driving and observance (or non observance) of traffic regulations. Driving on the wrong side and an ignorant insistence NOT to use lights after dark are two factors that escape my understanding. :?:

UK figures up to June 2013 were 1730 (4.8/day) killed and around 21700 seriously injured. Still too high but a vast improvement over recent years.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Be interesting to know what percentage of deaths are male vs female too. I'm rather inclined to think that a higher percentage of deaths would be male. Given the age of the drivers seems the hormone levels are up and equal to the speed at which the vehicle is being driven prior to crash impact.

I have memories of Tahrir Square and while I'm fairly fleet of foot and agile it was more than daunting to try and get across lane after lane of traffic knowing that not one of them would be willing to stop for me.

I tended to do the group cross and wait at a corner until there were sufficient other people waiting to cross at the same time as me.

The stats are sad as my feeling is most of them are fairly self imposed by drivers who are not paying attention to safe rules of the road.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I think we all agree that the standard of driving in Egypt is appalling.