Govt report: 33.000 dead in car accidents in 5 years

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Govt report: 33.000 dead in car accidents in 5 years

Post by DJKeefy »

An average of 100,000 car accidents took place from 2008 to 2012, leaving nearly 33,000 dead and 155,000 injured, according to a joint official report by the ministries of interior and transportation released on Wednesday.

About 125,000 vehicles have been damaged during that period, according to the report.

Concerning train crashes, victims stood at 319 deaths and 500 wounded in 4,000 accidents, it revealed.

Highway crashes accounted for nearly 15 percent of the total of incidents, the report added.

It noted that 2010 saw the highest accident rate with 24,000 accidents, 7,000 deaths, 27,000 injuries and 24,000 damaged vehicles. Meanwhile, 2012 recorded the lowest rate in terms of car accidents with 15,500 accidents, 6,431 deaths, 21,00 injuries and 21,000 destroyed cars.

Human mistakes was the reason behind 70 percent of the accidents, the report notes, followed by technical glitches (16 percent), and poor road conditions (1.8 percent).

Drivers’ in-attentiveness came at the top of human errors leading to accidents with 16 percent, followed by impetuous bypassing (12 percent) and tire explosion (12 percent).

Heavy-duty vehicles were the most common in accidents with 40 percent, followed by private cars (33 percent), microbuses (9 percent) and buses (7 percent).

Source: http://www.egyptindependent.com//news/g ... ts-5-years

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Govt report: 33.000 dead in car accidents in 5 years

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

On first reading these stats seem high however in isolation from the stats of other countries I dunno how they stack up.

I think train accidents are high - 4000!! and I'm not too sure there have been any major train accidents causing death in Canada since 2008 although there have been accidents in the USA I'm aware of that caused accidents/death. I've said it before but I know when I was taking the night train from Cairo to Luxor it hit something or otherwise stopped so abruptly I was thrown from the berth I was sleeping in. Smashed my toe so not really an injury accident but I was just darn lucky I'd picked the lower berth to sleep in. Never did find out any specifics about the accident either.

These stats also seem to indicate Human Error is a big factor in the accidents.

My perception of Egypt is that Egyptian men run on a "I can do no wrong" type attitude. The normative rules of life we all follow including traffic rules do not seem to apply to many of them. IF they are actually aware of rules of the road, for example, they don't seem to believe they apply. Same with their attitudes towards women.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

If you compare the road deaths in Egypt 33,000 dead, against the UK figure for 2013 which was 1,754, then they have a serious problem especially when you consider the amount of vehicles that we have on our roads and the reliance on commuting by car in the UK. We also have some very large cities with just a smuch traffic flow as places such as Cairo it is just that we organise the traffic flow better. The standard of driving in Egypt is really bad by anyones standards and these figures reflect that at nearly 19 hundred percent higher than our UK figures and overall we must do many more road miles per capita than Egyptians. These figures will not change until someone gets a grip of the people using vehicles and impliments some very strict control regarding age, ability, training, licencing and vehicle condition and maintenance, it's not rocket science just some common sense being applied. 8)
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Nice info Keefy .. egypts only reliable birth control ...
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

WOW - if compared to the UK then the stats for Egypt are ridiculously alarming!! I've personally been in Tahrir Square and getting across any streets in that area is definitely taking your life in your hands.

NOT ONE, NEVER EVER NEVER has ONE Egyptian driver even given ONE INCH to a pedestrian. They just don't care about pedestrians. Even walking down a road in Egypt anywhere you are taking your life in your hands that a driver going a million miles/hour might not hit you. AND drivers in Egypt which are mostly male seem to see driving in their car as their own personal right and see it as their right to drive however they please.

Many things are totally out of control in Egypt and many other Middle Eastern countries. Saudi Arabia also has one of the highest instances of traffic related fatalities of young men getting into cars and then driving like maniacs too. Can't remember where I read that statistic but the only rule of the road there is to go faster and faster and faster and faster.

I personally think RULES and LAWS are in place but it is enforcement that is lacking. And what else is lacking is 'common sense' and 'person to person courtesy' amongst many (most) drivers in Egypt.