Official vote result: 98.1% approves Egypt's constitution

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Official vote result: 98.1% approves Egypt's constitution

Post by DJKeefy »

Official vote result: 98.1% approves Egypt's post-June 30 constitution.

The Supreme Electoral Committee (SEC) announced Saturday that the newly drafted national charter was approved by 98.1 percent of voters.

SEC head Nabil Salib says 38.6 percent (20,613,677) of registered voters cast ballots in last week's referendum on the draft constitution, surpassing the 32% turnout of 2012 constitutional referendum.

The number of 'yes' voters according to Salib was 19,985,389.

More than 53,423,485 Egyptians were registered to vote in the constitution referendum that took place on 14 and 15 January, according to the SEC.

Presidential advisor for constitutional affairs Ali Saleh said shortly after the results were announced that the newly-approved charter was put in effect immediately.

The two-day vote also included clashes that led to the killing of at least nine people as security forces and supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood faced-off in several governorates.

The newly-approved constitution replaces the one drafted in 2012 by an Islamist-dominated constituent assembly.

Next Steps

According to the post-June 30 political roadmap, the referendum will be followed by parliamentary and presidential elections within the next six months.

Saleh said, however, the approval of Egypt's new constitution means that previous constitutional decrees by interim President Adly Mansour are void.

The 5 July decree dissolved the Islamist-led Shura council while the 8 July decree outlined a transitional roadmap to follow the removal of president Mohamed Morsi, which included the suspension of the 2012 Islamist drafted constitution.

"By the annulling of the 8 July decree and the implementation of a new constitution, there is now no specific road map," Saleh told Ahram Arabic news website, adding that according to article 230 of the constitution, it's up to Mansour to decide whether parliamentary or presidential elections will be held first.

He said that regardless of which elections occur first, the second elections must start within six months of the ratification of the constitution.

Another advisor, Ihab Badawy, to Mansour said the interim president had yet to decide on the timeline for elections and will address the nation on Sunday regarding the referendum.

Expats vote

According to Salib, 98.1 percent of Egyptians expatriates have also approved the constitution, with 15.7 percent out of a total 64,000 registered voters participating.

Around 40 percent of registered expats voted in the 2012 constitution referendum, with more than 63 percent voting in favour of the charter.

Constitutional vote in figures:

Total registered voters: 53,423,485

Turnout: 20,613,677 (38.6 percent)

Invalid votes: 246,947

Yes: 19,985,389 (98.1 percent)

No: 381,341 (1.9 percent)

Expat vote in figures:

Total registered voters: 681,346

Turnout: 107,041 (15.7)

Invalid votes: 500

Yes: 104,464 (98.1 percent)

No: 2,077 (1.9 percent)

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/91874.aspx

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Official vote result: 98.1% approves Egypt's constitutio

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Maybe I'm staring the obvious in the face - but why are Expats getting to vote?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

They obviously mean Egyptian Expats LLL, many for example live or work in places like Saudi Arabia.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

There are some signs of hope coming out of Egypt and my level of optimism is being raised for their future.
And with Thomson restoring a weekly direct flight to Luxor from Gatwick commencing 5 March, we might even get there one more time before travel insurance for me runs out on my eightieth. :(
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree Grandad, I too feel optimistic that they may return to a more stable government with such a large backing. The only problem will be from the MB who are unlikely to be put back into the bottle again after tasting power albeit for a short time, this leaves only one option open to the new government if they want stability and that is to utterly destroy the MB in whatever way they can. I know this sounds extremely harsh, but while there is any vestige of their organisation left to ferment opposition to the new rulers then the unrest will continue.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ahh Egyptian Expats - TOO OBVIOUS! Guess I'm too schooled into thinking UK Expats! :)))

I too think it will be very difficult to tromp down the MB now that they've tasted a bit of power and have resorted to terror tactics. I do hope Egypt is able to eliminate them because if they keep raising up their ugly evil heads it will not bode well for Egypt's economic future in tourism.