98% of votes in 25 governorates in favour of constitution

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

98% of votes in 25 governorates in favour of constitution

Post by DJKeefy »

98% of votes in 25 governorates in favour of draft constitution.

Below (picture) are the aggregated vote counts of 25 governorates out of 27.

Vote results in Cairo, the most populated Egyptian governorate, and North Sinai are yet to be announced.

The turnout of the other 25 governorates has already surpassed that of the 2012 constitutional referendum by around one million.

Turnout: 17,453,815

Yes: 16,821,944 (98%)

No: 336,675 (2%)

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/91686.aspx

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: 98% of votes in 25 governorates in favour of constitutio

Post by Horus »

Lets just hope that this gives those in control the backing to stamp out the MB as a political force in Egypt, in the short time that they held power they showed their inability to run the country in a proper manner with their religious agenda taking too prominent a place that sent the country into a downward spiral. Hopefully the people will now realise that the dictatorial rule of the likes of Mubarak if implimented with more accountability and fairness will be the better option for Egypt.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Interesting numbers.

I hope Egypt stays the course and continues the long walk to Democracy. I think to assume one election is going to totally change a long established Dictatorial path and make life totally and suddenly wonderful is foolish. I hope Egypt continues the progress to Democracy and stays away from the likes of the MB but Egypt also has to realize it will take time for them to achieve full Democratic status as we have today.

AND once they have achieve the same level of Democracy as we have am sure they may scratch their heads and wonder WHY they wanted this!! Have to admit I sometimes wake up wondering the same thing. Democracy to the extreme isn't necessarily wonderful either! ;)

Hope this doesn't bring out the terrorists and instead starts to indicate real political stability.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Good to see a high turnout to vote. That shows a real interest by the people to have a say in their future.
As for democracy LLL, I think Egypt and most other middle east countries are a long way from 'democracy' as we know it. I agree with Horus that they still need strong, almost dictatorial leadership and from what I understand from friends and acquaintances in Luxor, the majority are happy to have that. Say what you like about Mubarak, if you toe'd the line as far as keeping to the law was concerned, you could have a happy life.
I would be the first to agree that if you digressed, then the penalties were far too harsh and it is in these areas that the actions of the police must be moderated. At the present time law and order seems to be out of control and that must be swiftly dealt with if visitors are to return to Egypt in their earlier vast numbers...
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Gee Grandad - I'm positive I wrote an answer to this yesterday, came back to see if what is up today and 'poop' what I'm sure I wrote isn't here........ahh well - not that it was Pulitzer prize winning stuff ;) or that profound...........

If memory serves I was agreeing that strong leadership is definitely needed in Egypt.

A little bit to the side I often wonder how Muslims in general would be able to function democratically with a prolonged time of change to allow democracy and democratic processes to evolve over time especially since Islam is so totally ingrained into their lives and takes such a predominant position. Guess only time will tell how quickly Egypt works towards democracy (or not).