At least 12 dead, 134 injured in Egypt's Mansoura explosion

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

At least 12 dead, 134 injured in Egypt's Mansoura explosion

Post by DJKeefy »

Deadly bombings hit the Daqahliya security directorate early on Tuesday in Mansoura, Nile Delta, killing 12 and injuring 134 in what seems to be the worst terrorist attack yet since the ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi.

At least 12 people were killed and 134 injured, Egypt's interior ministry said in a statement. According to the statement, those killed include 8 policemen, a civilian while 3 are still unidentified..

The explosion has ripped through the building façade and damaged a number of police vehicles and parts of adjacent buildings including the state council, a theater and, a bank.

The head of Mansoura's security directorate was among the injured.

Investigations are underway to identify the causes of the blast, the worst in the city's history.

Al-Ahram’s Arabic site quoted an anonymous security source as saying that two bombs went off almost at the same time. The first bomb, he says, was planted in a higher floor in the building, the second in a car next to the security directorate.

A third bomb planted in another car was defused, the source added.

Photos of the Daqahliya security directorate were posted on Al-Ahram’s Arabic site shortly after the blast, showing the exterior walls of the building badly damaged. Vehicles parked in the area were also destroyed.

phpBB [video]

'Act of terrorism'

Egypt's Prime Minister Hazem El-Beblawi vowed to hunt down the perpetrators of the explosion, saying the attack aimed at obstructing a roadmap drawn up by the country’s interim rulers following Morsi's July ouster by the army amid mass protests against his rule.

“This is an act of terrorism that aims at frightening the people and obstructing the road map. The black hands behind this act want to destroy the future of our country,” Beblawi told Egyptian satellite channel ONTV.

“The state will do its utmost to pursue the criminals who executed, planned and supported that attack."

El-Beblawi refused to confirm that Egypt has decided to designate the Muslim Brotherhood as a terrorist group, contradicting an earlier statement by one of his aides.

Cabinet spokesman Sherief Shawki earlier blamed the blast on the Muslim Brotherhood group of ousted Islamist President Mohamed MOrsi, and said Prime Minister Hazem El-Beblawi had officially declared the group a terrorist organization.

“Whoever is behind this act is a terrorist and will be brought to justice and punished according to the law. But I don’t want to anticipate the incidents," Beblawi added.

The final phase of Egypt's road map will begin next month when a referendum on the newly-drafted constitution takes place. It will be followed by parliamentary and presidential elections.

A good number of bombings have been executed across Egypt since the ouster of Islamist president Morsi.

On 24 July, an explosive device went off at a police station near the security directorate in Mansoura, killing at least one conscript and injuring 19.

Egypt's Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim, on 5 September, survived an assassination attempt when a bomb detonated near his convoy in northeast Cairo.

However, most bomb attacks since Morsi's overthrow have occurred in the Sinai region, which borders Israel and the Palestinian Gaza Strip. Around 200 soldiers have died in Sinai since July

Numerous police stations and churches were also attacked across the country in the immediate aftermath of the dispersal of pro-Morsi sit-ins in August in which hundreds were killed. More than 100 policemen were killed since.

An Islamist group, Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis has claimed responsibility for some of the attacks, including the attempt to assassinate the interior minister.

An al-Qaida-inspired group in Egypt's volatile Sinai, Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis has warned the country's military and police, urging troops to desert their ranks or face death at the hands of its fighters.

The group said in a statement on militant websites Monday that it considers Egyptian troops to be infidels because they answer to a "secular government".

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/89902.aspx

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: At least 12 dead, 134 injured in Egypt's Mansoura explos

Post by Horus »

Another senseless act of murder committed in the name of religion, has anyone noticed that it is mainly the Sinai region with it’s close proximity to Palestine and groups such as Hamas who can offer support. As I have said in many previous posts on a similar theme, it would be so simple to resolve the Palestinian issue by Egypt opening its borders in the Sinai, but also as I have previously stated, Egypt is also fully aware of where these terrorists, their supporters and their ideas originate from. 8)
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

This seems to be getting worse :( I keep wondering when they will start to target tourists :(

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

This seems to be getting worse :( I keep wondering when they will start to target tourists :(
Yes and it will only take one incident and it will be all over for many years to come as far as Egypt is concerned, although if they have no tourists to target they may start on you lot instead. It's a real pity really because even though we are not out of the woods financially speaking, with the up comming elections and the better than expected borrowing figures there is a detectable feeling that people are thinking things are getting a bit better.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am actually amazed that more people have not been injured. Sooner or later a whole bunch of tourists will be targeted and then the trickle will dry up for ever more. I don't want to sound doom and gloom but I think it is only a matter of time until a group of tourists become a target. I also honestly only believe it is a matter of time until Expats become targets.

The hard core fundamentalists are not going to stop or slack up. I think they're all pretty hard core, have the opportunity to connect with other militant groups with like agendas and so have the means to continue on a mission or terror.

I hope Egypt can get a grip on all this type of terror activity but the sensible logical side of me doesn't know how they can stop terrorism. Not sure that Egypt has the money available to put in sufficient measures to thwart it. Am actually not sure any country has the ability to get a real handle on terror groups.

Very sad and tragic situation.