Second building collapse in Alexandria causes another death

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Second building collapse in Alexandria causes another death

Post by DJKeefy »

Two buildings collapse in Egypt's coastal city within hours, leaving two dead.

A second building collapsed in Alexandria on Monday, hours after a residential apartment building fell in another area of the Mediterranean city.

At least one woman was killed and four others injured when a dilapidated building subsided in the western Al-Gomruk district, Al-Ahram's Arabic news website reported.

Late on Sunday, a two-storey apartment building collapsed west of the city, leaving an elderly woman dead.

Officials say both buildings were issued demolition orders that weren't enforced.

Building collapses in Egypt are frequent in poor areas, and are often attributed to decaying infrastructure, local authorities' failure to carry out demolition orders, and unlicensed extensions of additional floors. The government is frequently blamed for lax enforcement of construction laws.

The coastal city of Alexandria has been plagued by major building collapses in recent years.

Similar incidents left one dead in the city in May and another in February.

In one of the deadliest incidents, a building collapsed in January in El-Maamoura district, killing 28 and injuring at least 11.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/87415.aspx

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Second building collapse in Alexandria causes another de

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Some of the buildings I was in and out of in Cairo sure looked like death traps. I hated taking the elevators too.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It was the first thing that struck me when driving around Cairo, those tall buildings are the worst contructed things I have ever seen. They head skyward at all sorts of angles and the way the walls are constructed of a single row of (usually) damaged or fragile looking bricks would make me afraid to even lean against an outer wall, one good earthquake would flatten the whole of it as it toppled like a deck of cards.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Nothing much inside some of those high rises was square or complete. Granted you couldn't hear your neighbours but - wow - the construction of lots of those builds sure wasn't good. I swear going into some of the high rises the steps were not all the same height or width let alone the walls. It is actually more surprising that more have not crashed down.