Demonstrations in Cairo

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Demonstrations in Cairo

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The situation in Egypt particularly Cairo is deteriorating - and deteriorating FAST. So to consider the effects of Morsi's proclamation and the state of Egypt right now - Consider the words being used - deadly riots, sweeping powers, unmitigated power grab, radical MB, supports Hamas, referral to Israelis as animals, Sharia law Morsi/Hamas - will they arm and coalese - all terms being used to describe what happens. Seems the 'genuine democracy' that happened is fading fast.

Given the protestors seem to be gathering and protests gaining momentum - how do you think Morsi will handle their challenge to his, now sweeping, authority?

My inclination is that Morsi will use force against his own people to subdue them to his will. I believe he has the support of the MB, he has access to armed strength via Hamas - am thinking his democratic time is done and he will now do whatever he can to tame the protestors.

The words are getting stronger and am seeing them as precursors to Morsi's pending actions. Egypt could be stting poised to be the next Syria. Might seem a radical position but if the Egypt people attempt to oppose him I believe he'll react against them with violence.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Demonstrations in Cairo

Post by Horus »

I certainly think he will use a divide and conquer tactic by implying that anyone who does not agree with him is against the revolutionary reforms. That will probably set up an internal divide with the more educated classes who realise what this power grab actually could lead to and the religious supporters of the MB who by and large are just sheep and less likely to see the long term implications of his actions and indeed will probably welcome it. The end result will be a division between the big cities and the rest of Egypt with the demonstrations being staged in the big cities against his rule, so I can see a period of unrest ahead. However at this particular time the army are still very powerful and still capable of wresting the power back again under the guise of preventing civil unrest, although they will need a very good reason to do this so that they continue to receive popular support, severe civil strife could be the trigger for a coup. His election margin was very narrow so it wont take much bad news before his popularity is outweighed by his unpopularity and we all know how the military can react once it is seen that a leader has made a bad decision, Anwar Sadat was a good leader, but his peace plan with Israel did not go down well and he was assassinated for it.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Demonstrations in Cairo

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lots of scenerios could (and WILL) happen. I'm seeing Morsi, at some point in time, use force to try and quell the civil unrest. That will break all hell lose and I'm thinking that is when the Military will come into play.