Divided by a common language

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Morgita

Divided by a common language

Post by Morgita »

Recently been reading the crime novels of Australian crime writer Peter Temple and find myself stumped on one of the descriptions. Who or what is a "branchstacker". Perhaps WI can come to my rescue. I'm enjoying the novels. Great literature they are not but I race through crime novels at quite a lick on my kindle(my precioussss) and they were a new discovery a week or so ago. He's been quite prolific so will keep me interested for a few weeks.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Morgita, Google seems to have the answer under a Wiki response.

Quote:Branch stacking is the act of recruiting members for a branch of a political party for the principal purpose of influencing the outcome of internal preselections of candidates for public office. It has become controversial in Australia after several inquiries or contests which received mainstream attention, and most political parties now have clauses in their constitutions which allow "head office" intervention to resolve alleged stacking, with penalties for those who engage in it. Branch stacking itself is legal under Australian law, but some activities like providing false information to the Australian Electoral Commission can be prosecuted as fraud.

Seems to be an Aussie thing.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That sounds like the correct definition Grandad, :) so Morgita should be pleased to read your post, nothing worse than reading a book and not knowing what some particular word or phrase may mean in a given context. I used to read a lot of the Wilbur Smith novels and he would constanly use Afrikaan's or Swahili words in his books, it didn't stop you enjoying the books and luckily I am familiar with most of the words he uses, but I often wondered how much is actually lost to the reader when a phrase or word is used that fails to paint a picture in their minds eye relative to it's meaning.
Morgita

Post by Morgita »

Thanks Grandad! I had the sense that it was mildly perjorative but thanks for the full definition. Can't beat a good google :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've never heard of that term - interesting to know the meanings. I could spend my life reading and sometimes have to 'limit' me on what I will read. Never go into a book store - just too tempted to make mega purchases.

What I am really super enjoying is that local library here who allows you to take out 'ebooks' and about a month ago they just started delivering them electronically to your Kindle.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

They still won't allow this in the UK, it is not the libraries, it is Kindle who are blocking this in the UK, another example of how we in the UK are treated differently than the States. :x
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Sorry to be late Morgita, have been busy enjoying the company of my new nephew! Grandad's Wiki answer is accurate, as I understand the term. :)

"Seems to be an Aussie thing." Most probably. :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - Kindle was the last hold out here re: Kindle and libraries but about 3 months ago they finally caved in and now you can get library books on your Kindle. Mind this might also be because Kindle has just launched a brand new "KindleFire" which is a full colour graphics, wifi capable - almost like an IPad.

I paid something like $225 for my original Kindle which is a black white reader. They had a campaign last yr selling them for about $150 and as soon as they announced the new KindleFire (which is retailing at $199) they put all the regular black and white new Kindles out for $79!!!

I think Kindle developed their KindleFire in response to Barnes and Noble introducing "The Nook" which is an all colour, wifi, email - again just a hair short of being and IPAD - AND - they were selling these for $225 (which is the original price for my Kindle) - AND - they were also allowing books from the library. As Amazon and Barnes/Noble seemed to be battling it out another major book seller here (Borders Books) went out of business. Right now seems these are the 2 main companies and they are adding modifications in competition with each other.

All the above being said - Kindles are wonderful and I've heard mega people say they'll never go back to reading a 'paper' book again..