Cost of Living

What is it like to live in Egypt? Share your experiences of Egypt’s culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Cost of Living

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]We are all aware at the moment of the rising cost of living which ever country we are living in at the moment. How much does the cost of living change from region to region in Egypt eg: Cario vs Red Sea vs Luxor etc ?
Is it noticably cheaper to live in one or other place, not just looking at property prices but the general cost of living.[/face]

Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

I think that anywhere where there are lots of tourists, or lots of expats - the price of housing and living is a lot more.

Every area, even Luxor and the Red Sea, have local areas where housing and food are sold cheaper.

In Alex there are cheap areas, moderate areas, expensive areas and extortionate areas. The expensive and extortionate areas are those where the majority of expats on foreign salaries live.

I do think that Luxor, Red Sea and Sharm are more expensive than Alex at the moment though. A few years ago we needed to get a year rent flat in Luxor - and the prices for the places offered were double what a similar place or better in Alex would cost.

Edit: Notice I said a lot of "I thinks", I just know someone is going to pop out of the woodwork and prove me wrong!

Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

When I was in Luxor earlier this year, I was going to do some shopping in the main suq in the city. In order to get an idea of the prices, I asked my in-laws what they were paying in the village at that time for the various vegetables I wanted to buy. They were quite worried I would get ripped off, but when I came home with a big bag of stuff at half the price they had paid in the village, they were very impressed. There are no tourists in the village and very few foreigners living there, whereas the main city of course is full of them.

Here in Cairo, prices can vary from place to place as well. I live in a neighborhood that has almost no foreigners (although Arabs seem to be more common in the summer). I used to do a lot of my vegetable shopping at a shop in my neighborhood that has since closed. The two vegetable shops left are more expensive. The minimum for most veggies is 3-4LE a kilo at these shops. The owner of one of the shops, which is just a permanent stand on the sidewalk next to a school, apparently was able to buy a flat on the Nile for 800k with the earnings he makes from his rather extortionate profit margin. Anyway, I have been trying to do as much shopping as possible downtown at Bab al-Luq market when I am passing through downtown on other errands. I used to shop there a lot when I worked at AUC and the prices of the vegetables there at the veggie dealer I prefer to buy from max out at 3LE a kilo. Basically he has the same stuff as in my neighborhood for about half the price-and unlike in my neighborhood, the prices are marked. I also try to get meat from Bab al-Luq as well as the prices are somewhat cheaper than at Kheir Zaman. I also try to buy my fruit from next to the metro station. There are 3 guys there competing for the same business and they have better prices as a result. I've had to go to Doqqi a couple times recently and a lot of foreigners live there but I found a shop there with very reasonable vegetable prices and stopped in and bought something on my way.

This is one of the reasons it is really annoying to hear people complain that the prices are higher in tourist/foreigner infested areas. They aren't, and can actually be cheaper, but the problem only is tourists are overcharged.I

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

In Armant most of the veggies in the market were being sold for 1le per kilo, which is a hell of a lot less than in Luxor, even though it is just a few miles down the road.

Minya was a hell of a lot cheaper than Luxor. Hotel worked out under a tenner a night, things in shops were fixed price, and a good price and eating out was extremely cheap.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Lisa-Thanks for that piece of information. I think when we move to Luxor we might just do our shopping there rather than Luxor as not only is that really cheap, by car it would be a lot closer than Luxor actually and even without a car it would be easier to get to than Luxor! Was it a big market with a selection similar to Luxor? Was it only one day a week?

BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

We have not been to it yet but there is a village market on Tuesdays and Saturdays behind the cemetary near the VOK checkpoint (I forget the name of the village :oops: ) Our neighbours cycle to it each week because they say it is cheaper than the local shops.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

BBLUX wrote:We have not been to it yet but there is a village market on Tuesdays and Saturdays behind the cemetary near the VOK checkpoint (I forget the name of the village :oops: ) Our neighbours cycle to it each week because they say it is cheaper than the local shops.
[face=Comic Sans MS]I believe it is Qurna Central. I have been to the market a few times either with local friends or alone. On the whole you are left alone to wander at will with barely any hassle. Just be prepared to walk around the whole market and take not of the quality and price before making your purchases as I think the quality varies quite a bit from stall to stall. [/face]
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Lisa-Thanks for that piece of information. I think when we move to Luxor we might just do our shopping there rather than Luxor as not only is that really cheap, by car it would be a lot closer than Luxor actually and even without a car it would be easier to get to than Luxor! Was it a big market with a selection similar to Luxor? Was it only one day a week?
Glyph, I don't know. We went on a Monday and it was set around the outskirts of the temple. We entered via the bird market and then it turned into a veg market. Apart from melons and oranges we didn't see any other fruit, but that may have been further along. There was a great selection of veg, and it looked really nice, some of it a lot nicer than that in Luxor. Put it this way, the taxi driver we had said he would be going back to this market and not shopping in Luxor again.
Sorry can't help any further.

BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

I think some of the fruit and veg we get around here comes up from the Armant - Esna area because we often see trucks loaded with tomatoes etc heading north up the West Bank road from that region.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Yes, the tomatoes come from Armant. They are much larger than the ones we see in Cairo at the moment.

By the way, there has been a rather dramatic decline in prices of some staple goods in the last week. There's some incredible sales going on with a kilo of rice at half the price it was and sugar 25% less than before, sunflower oil at perhaps 40% off and eggs dropped again to 50 piasters for the large ones.

BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

I presume you are refering to Cairo prices there Glyph because I am not aware of changes like that here in Luxor?

Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Yes, although some things seem to have sold out quickly at those prices-there was no oil left at that price when I went to buy some today and all the other sale items at Kheir Zaman they were limiting to 2 a person so that everyone would have a chance to enjoy the prices! I also passed by the Ahram Market and they had a list of new prices hanging out in front. The price of frozen chickens was definitely less than it was before and a 400g package of my favorite ground beef was down to 9LE from 11LE, although when I went in to get a couple packages they told me they were sold out. At Kheir Zaman boneless skinless chicken breast fillets were down to about 32LE whereas when I had to come up with a quick meal back in October for an unexpected guest I bought them for 40LE there. Their meat seems to have gotten cheaper too.

Karenh

Post by Karenh »

Sorry to hi jack this thread, but the sugar cane, I have been told that Armant is the main place for this is that correct and that the factory for processing it is in an old temple?

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

I think from memeory that Shareen, who I went with, said that there were parts of the temple used in the building of the factory. We didn't go anywhere near the factory.

The temple itself is in a real ruinous state and I think there are now archaeologists back there. We shouldn't have been allowed in, but what choice did the guardians have against three begging women. We also had trouble getting there on the road, the police would not let us go along the main road, we had to take a back road (which they told us about, apparently if they didn't know that we had gone down there, we were allowed to go! :?)

I really enjoyed the short time we were there, if you go be prepared for them asking for a ticket, even though there aren't any on sale!

Karenh

Post by Karenh »

Was the problem going down the road to Armant or just the temple?

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

Both Karenh, they didn't want us to go to Armant and then when we got there they didn't want to let us into the temple.
The police told us it was dangerous. We found it fine when we were there and did not feel at all unsafe or threatened.

Karenh

Post by Karenh »

I had heard before that Armant was a slightly closed community and that last year there had been trouble there between the Coptic's and Muslims, but I never judge anywhere or listen to things unless they can be proved.

BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

We went to Armant with Stan last year and had no problems in the community. In fact we missed the turn off into the old town where the temple is located and a guy actually rode with us right to the temple to give directions and then did not want any baksheesh so we gave him some money for a taxi back ;)
Everyone was very friendly. We did not get into the temple though because it was Friday and the guardians had the day off :oops: