Advice needed

What is it like to live in Egypt? Share your experiences of Egypt’s culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Shabanu

Advice needed

Post by Shabanu »

Hi all,

We are planning to move to Egypt this year, hopefully (waiting on house sale). We were hoping to be able to live on the proceeds of the sale until we could find a small business, or else just retire on the proceeds. I was last in Egypt 2 years ago. I noticed lately the interest rates are falling a bit. Are you still able to get a good enough return to live? Also I have been researching areas for a small business. Was thinking of Luxor or Hurghada, maybe Alexandria (but can get no information at all on Alexandria). Is now a good time, or has the recession hit hard? I found a small shop for sale in Hurghada for about £38,000, is that too much?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Kind regards to all.

Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

:hi2: Shabanu and welcome.Why don't you try posting this on the luxor4u forum more people seem to use it so you will probably get a better response.What kind of business do you have in mind :?: Think this recession is affecting just about everywhere.Good luck with the sale of your house hope it doesn't take to long ;)

Shabanu

Recession?

Post by Shabanu »

Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply and kind words! It was very helpful. I have posted the question on the Luxor forum now, lets hope for some luck. I was thinking of an internet cafe, computer repair? I have been to some in Sharm and in Cairo and they always seem busy, but don't know if they are making a very good profit. I couldn't really afford to open a business there as rents are too high, and you don't really own anything in Sharm, it is all on leases.

Again, and advice is so helpful. England is just far too expensive now, every year it just gets worse, and you can't save anything here at all. If I have to work I would rather it be somewhere nice and sunny.

Regards

FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Shabanu interest rates are falling in Egypt as elsewhere but are still much higher than the UK. You should still get in excess of 8% and of course the cost of living is very much lower :)

Glyphdoctor

Re: Recession?

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Shabanu wrote: Again, and advice is so helpful. England is just far too expensive now, every year it just gets worse, and you can't save anything here at all. If I have to work I would rather it be somewhere nice and sunny.

Regards
And don't you realize that life is already too expensive in Egypt for Egyptians to be able to save anything at all because their salaries are too low? But you can come to Egypt and get all their services for next to nothing and then YOU can save something.

Egyptians, if they have to work, would rather do it somewhere they can earn a living wage.

Colonialism is alive and well in the 21st century!

Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Don't take that as personal Shabanu,Glyphdoctor likes to have a little poke at everyone now and again but really she's lovely person ;)

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Hurghadapat wrote:Don't take that as personal Shabanu,Glyphdoctor likes to have a little poke at everyone now and again but really she's lovely person ;)
she's a straight talker for sure and I like that :mrgreen:

Shabanu

Advice needed

Post by Shabanu »

Hi,

Thanks to all, as I stated on the Luxor forum we are not slave drivers and do not expect to live as such. We hoped to donate 10% of money to help the animals and people of Egypt. We don't want to live off of misery. We are honest, good people who want a better life and want to help others. I don't see anything wrong in that. Everybody would chose a better life if they had the chance, surely we should not be condemned for wanting one, and for helping others in the process. I am sorry if I have been misunderstood in that respect.

Thanks to all for your help and advice, it gives us much, much to think about and consider.

Kind regards and best wishes to all

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Hope you find what you are looking for.

I don't blame you at all for moving away from the UK to find a better life. Just research it 100% and then a bit more ;)
Good luck

HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Advice needed

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Shabanu wrote:Hi,

Thanks to all, as I stated on the Luxor forum we are not slave drivers and do not expect to live as such. We hoped to donate 10% of money to help the animals and people of Egypt. We don't want to live off of misery. We are honest, good people who want a better life and want to help others. I don't see anything wrong in that. Everybody would chose a better life if they had the chance, surely we should not be condemned for wanting one, and for helping others in the process. I am sorry if I have been misunderstood in that respect.

Thanks to all for your help and advice, it gives us much, much to think about and consider.

Kind regards and best wishes to all
[face=Comic Sans MS]
Hi Shabanu,

I have posted a number of replies to you on the blue side so won't repeat myself here.

I don't think anyone is misunderstanding you. When you come to a forum like these and post a question you will get information and advice - the good, the bad and the ugly! Some will be from those with first hand experience, some will be from those who have read or heard over and over again of others experiences. Hopefully, all replies will be helpful, even if they do sound negative, as they are tools to help induce thoughts and ideas perhaps not already considered.

As I've said before - Don't lose your dream, but be put plenty of practical applications to it.[/face]
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Shabanu

Advice needed

Post by Shabanu »

Thanks, I am grateful for everyone's opinion. I just never thought I would be looked upon as an evil exploiter! I am far from that. Having said that, we want to be welcome, and if the climate is a bit hot politically, maybe Egyptians would see us that way, and it is something to consider. How sad really, as we only had good in mind.

As I said on the other forums, I will keep researching, and you all have been very helpful, no matter what your opinions are, everyone's is valid and worthy.

kind regards to you all and thanks again for your time

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Hi Shabanu, as Hepzi has said, don’t lose your dream. Many people come onto these forums for advice and as such you will receive lots of it, some good and some bad. As with anything else in life it will be flavoured by the experiences of the person making the post, some people will try and be kind in their responses and others will be very blunt, but whichever category it falls into it is usually genuine.

It is far better to have some of your illusions shattered on this forum than to have it happen when you actually make a move to Egypt. The same people, who may condemn your proposed move to Egypt as being exploitative, would probably consider it OK for Egyptians and other non nationals from around the world to exploit the welfare, social and health benefits of the UK, so it is all a matter of perspective. The world and its economies are never equal, that is why we go on holiday to countries with a lower cost of living, it is why we buy Chinese goods and remember that even Egyptians exploit each other.

There is nothing wrong with wishing to live somewhere you think will give you a better life especially if you are not a burden on that society and have independent means to live on. I am still wondering exactly what you will be benefiting from in Egypt that you will not have to pay for in some way, other than the sunshine and that is free. However I do agree that it is not quite as plain sailing as you may imagine it to be, so in common with everyone else my advice would be to listen to all the advice and to do a trial run first before you commit yourselves.

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

There is absolutely nothing wrong in moving location and if you want to set up business, employ locals for a fair wage and conditions.
At least you will be providing some with employment, which is desperately needed locally, so don't feel that your contribution doesn't count or matter.

My only point was to really study the move from every angle. Come and stay a while as Horus said and see how it goes. You might be fortunate and bang into some really honest folk who will help you get up and running. That is probably THE most important aspect to moving here in the beginning.

You can learn a lot from forums like this, and try to be wise in your choice of friends when you get here.

You only live once as they say

;)

Shabanu

Advice needed

Post by Shabanu »

Hi Ebikatsu and Horus,

Thanks for your kind words, you have good advice and have been kind. I just couldn't undertand why Glyphdoctor is attacking me! I would only every pay a good wage to anyone if I used a service. I have a Christian friend in Cairo who is exploited every which way he turns because of his religion. I would never treat anyone as such and always gave excellent American standard tips for any services I used, and I was hoping to be able to employ someone at some point and give them a very good wage, as I am just not that kind of person. We are all brothers and sisters after all. Yes the sunshine is the biggest factor for me. To be honest it is probably cheaper to live in some parts of Eastern Europe and Africa, but I really liked the Egyptian people.

I will think very hard now. I certainly don't want the locals to be offended by my moving there. Do they hate us?

Regards

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Shabanu wrote:
I will think very hard now. I certainly don't want the locals to be offended by my moving there. Do they hate us?
In a short answer: No!
As with anywhere in the world people do have prejudices, but it is not something that will be apparent or in your face. I would say that the average Egyptian gives as much thought to you as you would do when you see a passing immigrant in the streets of the UK. ;)

Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Horus wrote: It is far better to have some of your illusions shattered on this forum than to have it happen when you actually make a move to Egypt. The same people, who may condemn your proposed move to Egypt as being exploitative, would probably consider it OK for Egyptians and other non nationals from around the world to exploit the welfare, social and health benefits of the UK, so it is all a matter of perspective.
If you are suggesting that I think that way, then you are dead wrong. I'm not British anyway, but anyone who knows me knows I am very much against the same sort of fraud happening in the US and that I have little sympathy for all the illegals (and those who get their visas through fraud) in the US who exploit our system there. Such behavior is a harm to any country, but fraudsters can come from any country to another, it's not just limited to countries of origin of a certain economic level. In any case, as I said in the other forum, I never thought or suggested it was Shabanu's intention to be exploitative, just that she doesn't necessarily realize that she might wind up doing so without even wanting to do so.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I never suggested that you were anything other than American Glyph :roll: My reference to the UK was because Shabanu is by all accounts from the UK and will be well aware of how our hospitality is abused by lots of people. If she has independent means and is no burden on the Egyptian infrastructure then what is the problem? Is she anymore of an exploiter than yourself? you obviously avail yourself of both American and Egyptian amenities. Being married to an Egyptian is only giving you the rights by marriage and not by birth to benefit by the lower cost of living in Egypt, however you dress it up you are still an American living in Egypt, no different than someone in this country marrying an Egyptian and their partner gaining access to our resources, so where is the problem? For all you know, Shabanu may settle down and marry a nice respectable Egyptian like you yourself did. :D All she did was to ask for advice which she received, the only reference to exploitation came from you.

Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I don't need my husband to benefit from anything here. I'm an Egyptian citizen!

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Interesting :) did you have to renounce your American citizenship to get it? Perhaps Shabanu may wish to apply for citizenship then she will not have to feel guilty about anything.

New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Horus wrote:Interesting :) did you have to renounce your American citizenship to get it? Perhaps Shabanu may wish to apply for citizenship then she will not have to feel guilty about anything.
:lol:

Horus hun, all this has been done to death on the red and blue sides, save your sanity whilst you can and concentrate on your music x