Luxor is hell on earth.

What is it like to live in Egypt? Share your experiences of Egypt’s culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Choccy

Re: Luxor is hell on earth.

Post by Choccy »

I got the component parts and installed mine myself, the total cost was, including fixings and water pipe extensions, plus a new tank under guarantee, (Post and Packaging) 2680 LE each. I have two water heaters. Took about 2 days to complete and fix.

Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Not bad. How many liters each?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

One of the best savings in anything electric or plumbing is being able to do the work yourself. I'm reliant on journeymen electricians & plumbers and their fees can escalate by the second! That being said I fully agree that anything you can do there to be self sufficient is entirely worth it. Must be awful going through power & water cuts. Went through a few myself 'way back when' I was there and living at 114F isn't my idea of fun. Thankfully the cut was only a few hours and thankfully I had water set out in reserve.
A-four

Post by A-four »

I know so many go on about the electricity supply, or should I say lack of it in Luxor at the moment, but even years ago we got long power cuts. I remember often during Ramadan in the Winter months, the leci would go off half an hour after sun down.

I would always take a shower a couple of hours before then, then I would find, because of the way my plumbing worked, my main water came from high on the roof, but because my copper pipe came down on the south side, the sun supplied enough heat within that pipe to give me, yes a short supply of warm water to shower again before bed time, but I promise most effective at cooling me down before sleep, and just that blast of cold water really certainly cools you off, and helps you to sleep so well.

I remember when my grandfather lived up in them there hills on the WB, long before I ever can to Luxor, there was no such hot water ever,.............how lucky people are today.
Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Ours used to go off frequently because the wires between the poles were not insulated and any sort of disturbance and it would go off. Kids would be kicking a ball around in the street and if it hit the wire, the power would go out. Power outages are nothing new to Luxor, although the causes are different these days.
Choccy

Post by Choccy »

Many of the power lines on the West Bank have now been replaced by insulated ones now Glyph so we don't suffer from that problem. It did use to be a big problem at one time like your own district.
Choccy

Post by Choccy »

Sorry I should have said 25 litre tank on one and 40 litre on the other.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Choccy - are your hot water tanks the average size? Comparatively (tanks here are either 160litres or 240litres) they seem quite small.
Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I think our electric heaters in Luxor are 60 liters each and we have two of them. I agree that Choccy's are rather small.

The difference between Egypt and the US or Canada though is that in the US or Canada you have a dedicated closet or a garage to stick the water heater in. In Egypt, they usually hang on the wall of the bathroom and/or kitchen. I've never seen a standing water heater here like we have in the US.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Choccy, just out of interest, tell us a bit about the actual system. Panel sizes, number of panels, output ratings etc. I am only interested, again to make comparisons, to see what you get for under £300 in Egypt with what a similar set up would cost in the UK.

I am back on the old comparisons game again ;) :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My water heaters are in the laundry rooms and garage are grounding standing ceramic lined insulated heaters. They're pretty big and do take up lots of room but agreed there are garages and room and space allotted for them.
Choccy

Post by Choccy »

I went with the same capacity has the Olympic water heaters that had originally been installed. Mainly a couple of showers a day, and washing up.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

To me those tanks are pretty small. Are they sufficient for a hot bath? A long hot soak in the tub? (One of my most favourite things in life. Showers just are not the same thing as the ability to lay back in a hot tub of water and soak)

This soaking in a tub brings something to mind - are there hot tubs in Luxor? The open air hot tubs where people (tourists) can go to relax and soak? Are they built into private homes? They're super popular here and I'd guess that maybe 1 in 5 (and maybe less) household have them here. There were probably something like 6 or 7 of them on the Cruise ship and almost all places have one.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Interesting how taking a bath and showering usually divides into two distinct camps, those who do and those who don't. Myself I always prefer a shower, mainly because I like to be in and out in a few minutes and hate soaking myself in a bath as for some reason I never feel really clean afterwards. Maybe I am just being lazy and cant be bothered running a bath and it's easier just to wash my hair at the same time. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I shower & shampoo in the mornings but bath in the evenings.

I don't remember seeing any hot tubs in Luxor and don't know if they're something built into private homes there. I personally love them particularly in the winter times but would think they'd be definitely popular at the hotels for guests sitting in during the dark late evening hours.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I take it by hot tubs you mean the communial ones like in some hotel spa's?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yes - I'm talking about the 6+ seaters that are communal. Don't really call seeing them in Luxor - 'maybe' in Isis Hotel but it was in the full hot sun over from the pool. They'd be pretty good for soaking in at night ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Eew! I'm afraid not LLL, I remember once considering a soak in one in I think it was Cyprus, but changed my mind after seeing the scum of sun oil floating in it from other bathers. Also they are the most common source of a skin infection called folliculitis that particularly affects the bodies hair follicles. Other infections linked to hot tubs (although rarely) are Legionnaire's disease and nontuberculous mycobacterial disease and unless it is well maintained and the water changed and the tub cleaned using disinfectants on a regular basis they can be a bit iffy and to be honest not something I would use in a hotel or a spa environment. :td If I have a communial bath I want lots and lots of Chlorine in it :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, I have never seen a 'hot tub' in Luxor. However they are fairly common in the UK in peoples back garden (Yard ;) ) These are jacuzzi's with the water jets. However, as Horus has said, they can be breeding grounds for germs if not properly maintained.

Personally I prefer to shower. Plenty of lovely warm water caressing your body. :lol: And it is quick and hygienic.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Also Grandad at our age we don't want to look any more like a Prune than is neccessary :lol: :lol: