Newbie Expats in Egypt

What is it like to live in Egypt? Share your experiences of Egypt’s culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Newbie Expats in Egypt

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Been mulling over the thought (and I have no stats one way or another) and wondering if people from the UK are still moving and settling in Egypt?

Over the years of my working career I have to admit to thinking of retiring in a far away exotic land and having visited Egypt I had considered the feasibility of moving there. Probably never full time but maybe doing a 6 month on, 6 month off deal. The "on" months being when the snow is head high here and the weather is 'wonderful' elsewhere. Now I'm totally put off by Egypt and am not ever sure I'll visit there let alone live there. Do you think this is still a viable dream of others? Retiring to Egypt?

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Newbie Expats in Egypt

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I think anyone would be nuts to even think about it until the general situation has stabilised, LLL! :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I agree with you RS. I have heard some stories from people out there about some who own property being treated very badly. I think those who rent are in the best position because if things got really bad they could just leave.

People who 'own' property are in a different position. If they try to sell they may have to almost give it away and if they left with the intention of returning they may find that they are turned back at the airport or that their property has been taken and lived in by locals.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I totally agree that anybody who is thinking of settling there right now must have a few screws loose.

Don't think I phrased my 'thinking' too well.......let me try and clarify.......

For years people have worked and then moved to where it was cheaper to live. Am sure they researched the country and location they wanted to end up in so that they could have a higher standard of living than in their own country, better climate, friendly 'neighbours' who appreciated them etc.

As those of us in the UK, EU, USA, Canada etc are still facing higher costs here in our own homelands when we retire am sure there is still a search to try and find a retirement country that affords all the ameneties but at half the cost. Egypt WAS one such destination. Just wondering 'where' peoples thinking and ideas are at this time in their quest to create an affordable retirement lifestyle for themselves that is safe, sanitary, got medical etc. Many parts of the world are kinda blowing up right now so not too sure where the crowds of babyboomers are heading off to.
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

Totally agree with all of you.
I love Egypt , and we had made plans to retire there, but due to Alans ill health those plans were put on hold for a while, they have now been put on hold permanently, we will when he is stronger just visit.
Its hard to know where anyone would go i think these days there is so much unrest for one reason or the other globally.
You get out of life what you are prepared to put in!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My ultimate retirement destination wasn't necessarily going to be Egypt although it had passed through my brain a few times. Trinidad "used to be" relatively inexpensive to live in but now not so much. Mexico is affordable but the level of violence so high in some areas it would be difficult to walk out to shop.

The world is filling up! Not sure 'where' I can go and live and it be reasonably priced! :!: Guess I might have to settle for home.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

In my opinion this country is the best for weather, and everything else really, which is why I chose it 25 years ago. I know things are a bit difficult now, same everywhere but I would recommend Portugal to anyone (as long as they are not the british wanting to open a bar ! ) :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I enjoyed Portugal too, Jayway! Not enough to become an ex-pat, but a lovely place to spend a holiday.