Egypt and the current times

What is it like to live in Egypt? Share your experiences of Egypt’s culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Egypt and the current times

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My gf just returned from Luxor. She travels there often and knows locals out in the villages. She was telling me their standard of living is definitely visibly going down and thievery is on the rise. Meaning not Egyptian stealing from an Ex-pat but Egyptians stealing amongst each other.

I know that the economy is as bad as I've ever experienced it here. Shelters are full, tent cities are springing up everywhere, crime is on the rise, homelessness is rampant and our social systems are maxed.

Are there any social programs happening in Egypt? What do you do when 'nothing' is there? Is Egypt going to turn, is it turning, into the next Somalia? (which is another horrendous situation with no easy solution or answer)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Never mind LLL, all those investment bankers who caused it all are suffering just as badly, some of them are down to their last few squillion in gold bars. :mrgreen:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm heart broken some of the guys on Wall Street are having a difficult time keeping up the country club memberships!
jewel

Post by jewel »

We face a global catastrophe of unprecedented and unfathomable proportions....it has been predicted by some for a while now and all the signs are there, pretty soon money of any kind will have no value and as many countries collapse or are submerged the world as we know it now will be unrecognisable..........

On hearing all about the drought and famine in East Africa, never once has anyone mentioned there's too many babies being born there. Deserts are spreading because of the demands of a growing population, but still they're popping them out, and we're supposed to be sympathetic. Look at all the resoures and assistance that's been pumped in since Live Aid in the Eighties. Hardly done much good has it?
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I must admit that it often seems that we just save one generation so it can produce children to die another 25 years on. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am watching a show on TV - the usual Sunday late morning political commentary. There is one fellow - Farid Zakaria who is, to me, very politically astute and typically 'right on' in his assessment of situations. He just gave a run down that all the Arab countries combined do not have the GDP of Spain. One in four are illiterate and one in two women in the Arab world are unable to read or write and the Arab countries typically lack in human rights/civil rights particularly as related to women. What the panel he is talking to, as well as himself is saying is most concerning is that moderate Arabs themselves are not identifying this as a problem.
Morgita

Post by Morgita »

When I read Jewel's apocalyptic posts I am reminded of Fraser from Dad's Army. "We're doomed, Captain, doomed I tell ye".
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

"We're doomed, Captain, doomed I tell ye"
:lol:

But serious problems could be very close to home. As a regular viewer of Newsnight, the consensus of informed economists is that Greece will default on its debt and come out of the Euro.

The Eurozone will fall into chaos and the gloomy prediction of the Polish Premier is that there will be war in Europe within ten years.

You're right Morgita, 'We're doomed I tell ye!' :)
:gg:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

As a comment on the main point of this thread, can anyone think of one Islamic country that has achieved some sort of democracy with freedom of speech, human rights, and elected government; post revolution?

At the moment, I can't. :(
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad wrote:As a comment on the main point of this thread, can anyone think of one Islamic country that has achieved some sort of democracy with freedom of speech, human rights, and elected government; post revolution?

At the moment, I can't. :(
And I seriously doubt that you will Grandad. :roll:
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

- -

Post by Jayway »

I for one am happy to have lived my life in comparative peace and freedom, would not want to be young today. - Goodbye, nice to have known you all - - :)
jewel

Post by jewel »

That is true LLL what the politician said......in denial about the true nature of things, animal rights are a prime example as are those of women........ just as politicians everywhere are about the exploding human population

I wouldn't be surprised if something like the premise of "The Day The Earth Stood Still" actually happens in my lifetime... like John Cleese's character says; “It's only on the brink that people find the will to change. Only at the precipice do we evolve.” http://reellifewisdom.com/taxonomy/term/john_cleese

I also like the quote:
“It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.”
Clockwise 1986 John Cleese Hope

Humans don't ever change until the **** hits the fan, & to be honest, I'm no different - but at least I openly admit it, acknowledge it, & await the consequences of humanity's fatal lack of vision with open arms ...I, for one, can't wait for the "precipice" to arrive... (if we're still not quite at the brink of no return, we must be damn close!)

If we don't evolve soon, we will inevitably perish ...& we'll have nobody to blame but ourselves.
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Not starting a new thread but caught late last night and didn't get the full story but apparently Tahrir Square is fulled up again cause now Egyptians are protesting that the Military is trying to stay in control?

Is that what the latest protest (Nov 17th/18th 2011) all about?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Did you ever doubt that they were LLL? ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It'll be super interesting to be a fly on the wall of the future Egypt to see what this time next year will have brought in.

Will the Army be in power? Will the MB be in power? Will they join? Will the Protestors move from an Arab Spring to an Arab summer?