For those of U living in Egypt.........

What is it like to live in Egypt? Share your experiences of Egypt’s culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Don't worry Grandad, Bonaparte & Hitler will no doubt find some way of stitching us up to their own advantage, they usually do. :roll: On the 'being in the club' analogy, imagine that you belonged to a Golf club and you are on the steering committee and you voted against a particular motion, so the other members decide to form their own smaller golf club, but ............................. they still want to use all the original golf clubs facilities, :roll: only now you have no say over how those facilities are being used because you are not in the new club? The mind boggles, you honestly could not make it up!!!!!!!!!! 8)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I know this isn't quite 'on track' of what is being discussed here but what Europe is doing really seems to be affecting the US stock markets here. Up until the downturn started I had no idea how seriously one small country (Greece) could affect a global economy.

On another note it is difficult if, once retired, you move to a 'retirement' place and adopt a 'retirement' lifestyle only to have it yanked out from under you a few years down the line. Often you just can't go back and without an ability to impact your income you have fewer and fewer choices.
Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

My husband and I know a lot of people involved in the thick of things to the extent that practically every time we turn on the TV and they are talking about the revolution, protests, elections etc. we see someone one or both of us is friends with or has at least met. The mood in the last few days has ratcheted up a bit. People got over their fear of being killed long ago but in the last few days I am starting to see people getting over the fear of killing, at least mentally. There is only so long a person can be peaceful when they are constantly subjected to violence.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I must say Glyph that I was quite shocked to see the way the soldiers were behaving towards that woman in Tahrir Square. Not shocked that they had behaved violently towards protesters, rather the fact that in a country where religion and morality seems to play such a big part that they went against those codes by deliberately exposing the womans body. OK I can accept that it was probably done as a form of humiliation, but it does make a mockery of Islam, a faith that preaches modesty for women, when that countries military forces can use this tactic as a form of intimidation. There are some religious double standards being applied somewhere as I assume most of these soldiers would be adherants and consider themselves to be good muslims.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Those scenes of the woman in the blue bra would be shocking enough in any country but in an Islamic state I found it beyond belief and quite disgusting...
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As an update of that particular incident, I see that it has provoked further outrage amongst the women of Egypt and rightly so. :) They have just held a protest rally against this indignity, so lets hope that the authorities get the message that these women are not going to continue to be abused in this manner.

Here is a link to the protest video:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/10-000-women-m ... 80%9D.html
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I didn't save any news clips from here yesterday however the TV News media talking heads here said, whilst showing an Egyptian General in the background talking, that the Egyptian military is saying that the soldier responsible for 'beating the blue bra woman' were somehow hastily recruited recruits who had not yet been trained!!

To me this seemed to be one of those 'truths' that is being asserted as one vainly grapples to come up with a plausible explanation for what really DID happen.

On what is being shown here re: stomping of the blue bra woman it does show her being attacked by an entire 'group' of soliders and at the very end of the clip there does seem to be only one solider pulling her clothes back down. That is what is "looks like" to me but I can't really tell what he is doing.

I can hardly put into words how disgusting it is to see trained military going after women. Might as well take on the children too!! Makes me really question the mentality of those who engaged in this type of brutality. Surely to heavens these women protestors were not doing anything that warranted this level of open attack on their person. Then IF a General comes on TV stating the 'troops are not trained!' and tries to sweep this under the table by refering to the soliders as coming from the lowest segments of Egyptian society and then says 'they don't know any better'!!! AGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! What is this???? (mind this was the translation of the TV News reporters saying what this General was saying)

Social norms are breaking down. People are being pushed to extremes they should not have to ever get to. The military when I was in Egypt seemed to be almost a class in and of itself. To me, they didn't seem to take recruits from from the lowest echilons of Egyptian society. The Army seems to also be degrading.......sad. Very sad this toll is taking on Egyptian people.

When the normal regular person takes to the streets - means something and probably not good. Can only hope 2012 brings peace back to Egypt.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: For those of U living in Egypt.........

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Been a while since this thread has had a post but am still curious as to how things are going for those of you living in Egypt? Everything settling down? Everything still up in the air? Is there an ok pattern to daily living emerging? Has it always been there (since Morsey got elected)? Just wondering how life is going in Egypt?
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

As i was browsing you took the thought right out of my head LLL, i was going to pose the same question.
From what ive been gathering and having been back to Luxor since the revolution im seeing 2 things.
1... The continued lack of decent policing on the streets and the lack on those policeman's part to actually do anything about any law breaking reported to them.......no change there then.
There are more guns on the streets than ever before, but it seems to me that is ok with the everyday egyptian to carry a gun,to me its not ok .
Land grabbing has lessened since the first rush i think but that in itself has cost many people dearly .
There is less respect , men are now verbally abusing women in public, not just men but young boys are doing the same.

2... The lack of tourists, and just this last week the FO have upped the risk status of travelling to Egypt the area at risk is in the Sinae area but of course this will affect what little tourism there still is as there was wide media coverage of this, and so the knock on is, people are getting poorer in general, people are i felt generally rather despondant right about now. They are in Luxor at least, creating ways of luring tourists back where they can, dropping hotel prices, organising events to promote the city etc, but they are i feel fighting a loosing battle right now, the country is still settling and the people are still coming to terms with what the word democracy means and in a lot of cases getting that wrong. :(
You get out of life what you are prepared to put in!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

When I read this sort of thing Christine I am reminded of many years ago now being asked a question by a citizen of a newly independent African country, well not quite newly as they had been independent of colonial rule for about 5 years. He could see the lack of law and order in his country, he was now being persecuted because of his religious beliefs (he was a Jehovah Witness), he could see the shortages in the shops, the lack of fuel and other essentials and the decline in health care and education for him and his family. He was a good man and I just did not know how to answer him when he said to me "Bwana, when does independence finish?" I should have laughed out loud, but I felt like crying, at the time I could only look on in sadness to see this man, my friend, totally lacking in any real understanding of what was happening to his country, he had listened like many others to the politicians that had promised them so much without explaining that things would not get better overnight. I truly hope that his children at least will now be seeing some improvement in their standard of living for he did not, if he is still alive then he is now like myself and getting old, but for all those intervening years I have watched as his country, the place I used to call home is now one of Africa’s basket cases and before anyone makes the comment, no it was not left poor, it was left as one of Africa’s most prosperous countries, but it was ruined by politics and greed. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Last evening I was reading on the 'Blue' an account by ScottishTourist of her recent sojourn to Hurghada and Luxor. Doesn't seem Luxor has much to offer right now and is on the decline. This is bound to happen within any social group when changes are made however I can't help but think that if the plan for change had been solid, if definitions were made, expectations set forth and explained with some sort of measure to see if what was expected was even close to being achieved - well - if stuff like this had been in place I think more people would have, at least, a little understanding of where they stand.

The Arab Spring thundered in complete with aspiring philosophic expectations, dramatic changes were made, existing infrastructure shook and changed but nothing too very sold was put into place once what was deemed "BAD" was taken out.

I'm pretty sure most Egyptian people are now standing, hands in pockets, shoulders stooped thinking - to put it into the youth of today's speech - "What the F**K happened?"
Scottishtourist

Post by Scottishtourist »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Last evening I was reading on the 'Blue' an account by ScottishTourist of her recent sojourn to Hurghada and Luxor.
And didn't I get a right "hammering"for it LLL!!
Up until about page 4,I reckon!
Sorry I posted an opinion on it now,because it certainly wasn't very well received by some.
Going off on a tangent now,but there's post on Blue side stating that tourist was robbed of her bag at gunpoint within past few days.Really surprised that this post has generated such little response!
It would appear that this incident is more acceptable to some than me proclaiming that I found Luxor in decline,an increase in poverty,unwanted and unwarranted hassle and a feeling that the city is not safer than my home town!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Seems you were the latest victim of the Azurite tribe, banned to Upper Egypt from their own homelands, who often spew all manner of vitriollic innane rubbish fueled by their own inadequacies and tunnel vision perception of their world. The rose coloured glasses they are prone to wearing unfortunately shield them from any recognition of reality. They can't seem to function in social media without having a named and identified scapegoat. Many on the 'blue' are able to only 'talk' (and I say talk vs comment, question, debate, discuss etc) on the lowest common denominator which is inclusive of name calling, labelling, stereotyping. The poor souls are easily confused with facts and reality and like cornered animals many of them tend to lash out at others. Minimal provocation is required. Toss out more than one tiny tidbit that doesn't fit their 'preferred' view of the world and they're righteous in their stupidity.........
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

:))) :))) :))) nice one LLL . Poor Scottish tourist - -
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

With the exception of Keefy I don't think anyone who is a regular on E4U actually 'lives' in Egypt or do we have regular contributors on E4U who are living there?

Am posting this as I was just thinking with all the uncertainty of what is going on in Egypt right now and given that things might go south quickly possibly some contingency planning might be in order.....i.e. IF there is anybody living in Egypt who is from Canada and who has not actually BEEN in Canada for awhile but who might have to make a hasty exit are there current phone numbers or addresses I could provide so as to help facilitate an quick exit if one was ever needed?

Guess I just like to be prepared but having read of Wiz' experiences a few months back I think it prudent to be prepared rather than caught suddenly scrambling.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have never lived anywhere else in the world without having an exit strategy put into place and anyone who doesn't is a fool, rule number one “where is the nearest border crossing?” I often laugh when I read all the advice about what money and how to take it when going on holiday to Egypt "I always use the ATM you don’t need anything else" is often the worst advice given out by the poorly informed. Ask yourself what is the first thing to fail when it all hits the fan, answer anything connected to a public system and that includes banks and ATM machines. A wad of $20 & $50 bills will always get you out of trouble as will a spare passport, everyone knows what a dollar bill is and will take them as payment. Sterling is good, but not large denominations (£10 notes only) not quite so universally recognisable, but you can totally forget credit cards.

When things happen, they happen fast and often without any real advanced warnings. I have been in African countries when a coup has happened overnight, I have been in others when the ruling colonial power has literally up sticks and left severing all connections within 24 hours and in each instance chaos ensued. In 1974 on the 19th of July I landed in Cyprus for a holiday and the island was invaded by Turkey on the 20 July, the situation in and around Famagusta was a nightmare with people fleeing their homes as the invading Turkish tanks swept across the island cutting it in half. In those situations return flight tickets and hotel bookings mean very little and you survive on your instincts, mine was to eventually get to a British base and get out on a Hercules transport plane.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

You're totally correct H and it came to me that, while they'll total deny it, there are many living in that little city in the south who have not a clue. I was thinking that are some genuine naive ones though who could come online out of sudden desperation looking for current phone numbers, contact info etc.

Was just thinking that current contact info on different organizations could be pretty important.

I definitely agree that whilst credit cards work well and ATMs are great there is nothing like cold hard cash to get out of a pickle. Personally I never go anywhere with having cash although I also do take credit cards as well for everyday purchases.

Interesting you should say you need an awareness of borders etc. I was fully aware of where I lived, even in the USA, and knew it was nothing other than a straight drive to Canada.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

A lot of course depends upon where you are at the time, tourists are usually catered for by the tour companies and government usually organise evacuation, but independant travel or living abroad can be a different kettle of fish.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Exactly true. I'm primarily thinking about those naive persons of Luxor who live with their heads buried deep in the sand and/or up their butts. The more notorious vocal ones I'm not concerned about (they wouldn't/haven't ever acknowledged any level of common sense or any experience except their own and only listen to their own opinion) but I do have a sense that there are others who are living quiety in their retirement, not particularly connected media or internet-wise who might suddenly find themselves in need of a rapid exit.

Was just thinking that there could be some out there some folks who could come to this or any of Keefy's forums looking for help or numbers......