Preserving Foods

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks for that PR :) Talking of scones being a luxury, we are off to the far South of the UK for a few days to Cornwall, it is famous for its clotted cream which is really thick and yellowish in colour and must contain about 1 million calories per spoonful :lol: It is often served in little cafes and visitor attractions accompanied by afternoon tea (very British) together with home made jam and freshly baked scones, yummy :P So hopefully later this week we will be sitting on a horbour side in a picturesque little fishing village, looking out over the sea and munching our scones and sipping tea. :D

BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

....and you will be wondering why your trousers no longer seem to fit round the waist :lol:
Watch out for that Phantom in Cornwall and have a great time Horus :)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

BBlux wrote:
and you will be wondering why your trousers no longer seem to fit round the waist
So nothing new there then :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Barry :)
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

I was presented with clotted cream in UK before at tea. Wasn't sure what to do with it. What do you do with it?
"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

PRchick wrote:I was presented with clotted cream in UK before at tea. Wasn't sure what to do with it. What do you do with it?
[face=Comic Sans MS]Presumably you were served it with scones and jam, in which case you would half the scone, or break it into bits (incidently traditionally you shouldn't cut a scone in half but shoud tear it apart with your fingers). You would then put jam and cream on to it - some people prefer to put the jam first then the cream, others prefer to put the cream and then a blob of jam on top. You shouldn't be served butter if you are served cream and you certainly shouldn't use both.

Clotted cream is rarely, if ever, served with anything other than scones, but it can be added to milk dishes such as rice pudding to give it extra richness (and more fat content and calories!).

Clotted Cream is in it's own right a preserved food.[/face]
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Hepzi has it about right :) although there are several methods of serving according to which county you are in. Remember that Somerset borders Devon and Devon borders Cornwall as you head South.
You may find this link interesting:
http://www.broadwayhouse.com/creamtea.html
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]Horus, that's a brilliant link and really sums it up well.

As someone who's not too keen on jam, and would far prefer one a bit sharper than strawberry eg blackcurrant, I'm a jam first then dollop of cream person. However, I was brought up with sultana scones rather than 'cream or plane' scones. I used to make a lot of cheese scones which went down well, but haven't made any for years.[/face]
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad you liked it Hepzi, :) It does sum up the quintessential West country cream tea. I would not want PR to commit a faux pas when she hosts an English soiree in her own home. :lol:
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Horus wrote:Glad you liked it Hepzi, :) It does sum up the quintessential West country cream tea. I would not want PR to commit a faux pas when she hosts an English soiree in her own home. :lol:
[face=Comic Sans MS] :lol: Well in that case we'd better go into the intricasies and etiquette of making and serving tea then. ;) Perhaps we need a whole new thread for this subject. Then again I guess it could be considered Food Preservation in it's own way. :) [/face]
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Good idea Hepzi :) I had better not mention the 'Cornish Pastie' then with its meat and vegetables at one end and the jam at the other end. I will however try out as many as possible, purely in the interest of research for this forum :lol: I have also decided to add copious amounts of 'Scrumpy' cider to accompany the pasties. In the interest of good etiquette, I should mention that it is not considered to be polite to drink 'Scrumpy' as an accompaniment to a West country cream tea, whereas it is quite acceptable with a pastie :lol: :P
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Horus wrote:Good idea Hepzi :) I had better not mention the 'Cornish Pastie' then with its meat and vegetables at one end and the jam at the other end. I will however try out as many as possible, purely in the interest of research for this forum :lol: I have also decided to add copious amounts of 'Scrumpy' cider to accompany the pasties. In the interest of good etiquette, I should mention that it is not considered to be polite to drink 'Scrumpy' as an accompaniment to a West country cream tea, whereas it is quite acceptable with a pastie :lol: :P
[face=Comic Sans MS]
You'll never be able to explain how they decide which end to pour the gravy and which to smother in custard. :roll: ;)

You go do your research and report back. We'll then try to discuss any Egyptian equivalents on your return. Mind you, with all that scrumpy tasting you've got planned you'll be the one that's well preseverd - Pickled! :lol: [/face]
-Aldous Huxley
BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

But it would never have been eaten with gravy or custard Hepzi. The whole ethos of the cornish pasty was that it could be taken wrapped in cloth by the farm hand or miner and it made a complete meal in itself whils at work.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You eat yours as you like Barry :lol: me and Hepzi are having custard & gravy with ours, washed down with Scrumpy Jack :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Horus wrote:Glad you liked it Hepzi, :) It does sum up the quintessential West country cream tea. I would not want PR to commit a faux pas when she hosts an English soiree in her own home. :lol:
Oh I suspect I'd be offering good Kentucky bourbon, margaritas and corn chips with rotel cheese dip, or coffee and cake. Margaritas being the likely choice.
"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

PRchick wrote:
Oh I suspect I'd be offering good Kentucky bourbon, margaritas and corn chips with rotel cheese dip, or coffee and cake. Margaritas being the likely choice.
Sounds OK to me :) what time do you want us all there for? :D
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

BBLUX wrote:But it would never have been eaten with gravy or custard Hepzi. The whole ethos of the cornish pasty was that it could be taken wrapped in cloth by the farm hand or miner and it made a complete meal in itself whils at work.
[face=Comic Sans MS]Spoilsport. :roll: I know that but not everyone eslse does, especially those from the newer worldss. ;) [/face]
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Horus wrote:You eat yours as you like Barry :lol: me and Hepzi are having custard & gravy with ours, washed down with Scrumpy Jack :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
[face=Comic Sans MS]Too right mate, too right - well the scrumpy bit is anyway. ;) [/face]
-Aldous Huxley
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Horus wrote:
PRchick wrote:
Sounds OK to me :) what time do you want us all there for? :D
Come ahead Horus. I'll even make quesadillas. mmmmmmm
Mark Twain