Coffee

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Coffee

Post by Horus »

I suppose we forgot to mention that it was liquid LLL, it also came in a tall square bottle with a tall neck.

Managed to find this picture of the old bottle

The original label

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Oh my memory failed me H. Of course the Indian 'Chai wallah' or should that be 'Coffee wallah' STANDING and SERVING the Scottish officer type. Days of the Raj :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes but on the later more PC bottles, the 'Coffee wallah' is also sitting down and drinking coffee with the officer ............. as equals :o

They certainly had a colonial flair to the labels as these examples show

I did find a funny one though for 'Camp' coffee, it showed the 'Coffee wallah' sitting on the officers knee :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Oh wow the PC police types would be turning in their grave at those labels - BUT they were definitely colourful and interesting unlike lots of labels today that are very sparse and usually just graphic.

In some ways I rather like those labels. They were true to what was happening and really reflected the times and showed what people were actually doing.

I'm more than sure now there are "people" who still "serve" the top military officers however now for some reason we just don't show it cause we're all supposed to be equal. I'm not sure that todays ability to essentially "hide" who we are and what we do is a good thing.

I can't say I've ever seen any of the Camp products at all here. To my knowledge we have nothing like it and even the chickory coffee I was talking about is powdery granules.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I can clearly remember the advent of Maxwell House coffee granules in our Kent village. I was after 1951 as we moved to Cranbrook that year and before 1955 as that was when we left.

Powdered coffee was available but like Camp really only used as a flavouring in cake making. Coffee and walnut cake was very popular. I think it was the novelty of the granules, which were so different to anything we'd used before, that made the working classes try it as a drink.

Not long after coffee bars became fashionable and caffeine become a necessary part of British life it seems.
Smile! It confuses people
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Does anyone else like Cardamon seeds in their coffee? I put it in instant too for a treat.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Not a fan of them, I even dislike finding one in my curry :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've never tried cardamon seeds in coffee but then have never heard about them ever being put into coffee either. Do you put them into the bottom of the cup and then pour boiling water over them? And are they only used with instant?

I've heard of some people sprinkling just a minute pinch of salt into their coffee grounds prior to filtering but I've absolutely never understood that or how that would enhance flavor.

I'm quite surprised at all the types of instant coffee there cause seems we're the opposite. Matter of fact I'd guess it is about 50/50 that here people buy coffee beans and grind their own coffee. I buy beans and then grind daily to make a fresh pot of coffee vs keeping a tin of pre-ground beans in the cupboard.

Then amongst the coffee afficiandos here there is the argument as to how to store your coffee? Best to freeze the beans? Keep them in the fridge? Cupboard? And the same applies to ground coffee.

Seems most of us are addicted to a daily morning cuppa of caffeine whether it is coffee or tea.

IF I drink coffee in the evening I can't go to sleep and sometimes have had a cup, forgot about it and then can't figure out why I'm still wide awake at 2am. On the other hand I regularly drink tea well into the evening and that doesn't affect me sleep at all.

Not sure why this is. Maybe a different type of caffeine?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

The seeds inside green cardamon pods are quite small, this morning I put the seeds from two pods in a mug of instant decaff and it was lovely, really lovely. But then I am used to it, I guess one pod would be enough for a beginner. The seeds swell a bit but are easy to control - I usually leave them in the bottom of the mug, but a lot of people like to eat them. Again - don't use the husky pod, split it and just use the seeds.

I first had cardamon coffee in a Lebanese restaurant in New Adly Street in Cairo. We were the owner's first customers and he treated us like his family. The food was simply wonderful, I've never had anything like it since he went home to Lebanon.........I often wonder if he is OK. Nice man and a genius in the kitchen.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I will have to give it a try. Probably my most daunting task would be FIND the cardamom. It isn't really a popular spice here - at least to me I don't recall seeing it in any of the stores here that sell bulk spices. Most of our stores sell lots of Indian spices so I'd think I should be able to find it if I really look :)

I don't have instant coffee so I think I'd try putting it into my coffee mug and then have the hot brew filter in on top of it.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

In Aswan, the Nubian coffee is absolutely wonderful and contains cardamom seeds. If you go to a Nubian restaurant, they make a little ceremony of making and serving it. They also put straw in the spout of the coffee pot to catch the grains. It tastes out of this world and is my favourite coffee. Maybe the reason why we drink a lot of instant coffee here in the UK, is that it's a lot cheaper than buying coffee beans?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I would say its more down to customs, as a nation we are mainly Tea drinkers and as such most people use the teabag method which is a quicker way than messing about with teapots etc.. So I reckon it is just a natural progression for us to prefer another quick none messy method like instant coffee. Plus to be fair not many Brits are really coffee experts as such. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Grandad wrote:Best coffee I ever had was in a small backstreet restaurant in Aswan. Strong Turkish with a mocha flavour plus spices. Superb :up
Ruby Slippers wrote:In Aswan, the Nubian coffee is absolutely wonderful and contains cardamom seeds. If you go to a Nubian restaurant, they make a little ceremony of making and serving it. They also put straw in the spout of the coffee pot to catch the grains. It tastes out of this world and is my favourite coffee.
You have reflected my earlier comment RS......and I would go well out of my way if I could find somwhere that can make coffee like that :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Too late to edit my earlier post RS but I guess this is what you mean about the straw to stop the solids going into your coffee.

This was also at Aswan but on a boat trip around the cataract, just the two of us, and we stopped on the west bank where they would make you coffee from roasting and grinding to beans (pestle and mortar) then making the coffee and adding spices. Nothing commercial, just a family home right on the river bank. Very nice but did not come up to the backstreet restaurant coffee.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - I remember a photo you posted quite some time ago (I believe after your second to last trip to Luxor and you'd gone to Aswan) showing a pot of coffee with the straw in the spout and a whiff of steam coming up from Aswan. It was really a good photo and I still quite remember it.

Those cups though are definitely teeny tiny. More like you're having a sip of coffee than a cup of coffee! ;)

I think the traditional ceremony would be very interesting too almost like the Chinese tea ceremony. Over the years I've gone to a couple in Chinatown. You sit on low low benches or the floor with an equally low table. The server makes the tea, says prayers, pours some over the heads of the various statues on the table before pouring your little cup. I don't remember it exactly but it was more than interesting and the tea was delicious.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well you have a good memory LLL. I found the picture in my E4U album so you are right, I must have posted it in the past. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I loved the way the steam was floating up and it was the first time I'd ever seen a pot with grasses stuck in the end of the pot so I do remember it quite well. Really liked that photo ;) Was a good one :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Here is another picture of part of the 'ritual' LLL
(Don't worry about the full ashtray, this IS Egypt) :lol:

I got some Cardomom pods yesterday and put some seeds in my morning coffee. Could probably have used more and also more coffee but we are getting there. This is Kenco Millican, I used 2 large teaspoons of coffee but should have used more. The perfume of the Cardomom took me straight to Aswan ;) :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've come a long way from mortar and pestle but this was my original coffee grinder. It is probably 40+ yrs old. I then progressed to a plug in electric one that was sort of like a thick tube with a small grinder on the top. Made enough for 1 pot.

Now I'm up to an automatic grinder that I can fill up with beans every week or so and then drip it automatically. Measure the coffee out too with a spoon that is weighted in the handle so it can stand up straight on the counter. (And now that I'm looking at my coffee maker in the photo it can use (and will get) a good clean and polish (gheesh it is pretty grubby - too much time drinking coffee and not enough time swabbing out the kitchen) To the RIGHT of the grinder you can see the different coffee flavours that are also pretty common to use here to add that something extra special to your morning java.

Here as coffee drinking is BIG business it is quite common for people to have their own special style mugs they like to drink coffee out of.

These are my top three choices but I actually like the middle one best. These are hand thrown pottery mugs and I quite love them.

Some people here don't like the pottery mugs and opt for ceramic mugs. My daughter loves the mug with a blue and green pattern on it and will poke about the cupboard 'til she finds her favourite mug.

Then for the tea drinkers who prefer a more pottery based cup I have 'green man' which is actually the brown cup :) And the other smaller green pottery cup is also mostly preferred for tea. These are pottery and the artists spent lots of time on them. The claim to fame of the green cup which is supposed to resemble a tree it that the bottom is not flat and is supposed to resemble roots.

Lastly there are the bone china tea drinkers (me actually) who prefer their tea in bone china cups. ;) I tend typically to use the middle cup.

Nary a saucer anymore in sight - everything is in the style of a mug even if it is a cup.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You have a great collection of pottery mugs there LLL :up