Coffee

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Coffee

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Are you a coffee aficionado or could you drink black tar?

I do totally enjoy my coffee and so long as it isn't too strong I'm good for a couple cups in the morning. Prefer French Roast varieties but that is about as specific as I get. I have an automatic coffee maker that drips hot water through a filter.

Was out this morning and watched a lady in my local coffee shop ask the clerk aka Barista if they're make her a pot with a French press. I know what they are and actually have one that has proudly sat on the shelf save for 1 use since I bought it (at a garage sale for $1). I keep it just in case the electricity goes out and this way I can get a coffee.

She went on at length about how this was the ONLY way to properly make coffee but did have to settle for the Shops version of drip coffee.

I will admit the old coffee perks could and probably did often turn out tar as the perk could go for a long time.

My friends in Trinidad make coffee via boiling water in a pot and then just throwing the grounds into the boiling water. You really then NEVER drink to the last drop! ;)

How do you like your coffee? Special roasts on the beans you prefer? How do you make it?

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Coffee

Post by Grandad »

I don't go into coffee shops for coffee, just have one in a chain store cafe when we are out and about.

I have only ever been in a Starbucks once and that was not an experience I would wish to repeat. :(

We don't have a coffee machine and try to make the best we can with proprietary granules.

Best coffee I ever had was in a small backstreet restaurant in Aswan. Strong Turkish with a mocha flavour plus spices. Superb :up
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Me too, a good instant blend does me, although I do like a good strong Turkish coffee in places like Egypt if I can get one.
I absolutely hate American style coffee such as served up in the likes of Mc D's it is foul and bitter. :stp
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Oh my goodness - Granulated coffee? Honest or are you pulling my leg again? You both mean you're drinking INSTANT? That is (to me) terrible terrible stuff - yucky poo as the twins say.

I absolutely love first thing in the morning a good cup of coffee, don't like strong but do love the flavor of coffee that has been nicely roasted and then brewed to perfection. Maybe I sound like a TV commercial but I do love freshly ground coffee. I buy beans and have an automatic grinder that grinds the beans to the right fineness and then ice cold water is heated up to 'just right' in the automatic coffee pot and then is dripped down through the grounds. That first cuppa every morning is deliciously fantastic.

On weekend mornings I add one of three flavours I like - French Vanilla, Hazelnut or Peppermint. Add in a big splash of Soy milk and I'm good to go and I'm also good for a couple of cups but I am really only a morning drinker and don't imbibe much past noon.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

For years I bought Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee until it became unavailable in the UK - '70s I think. Then when it became available again in was out of my price range.

I like very strong coffee - quadruple Espresso was a regular when shopping. I gave up coffee when I was drinking 14 MUGS of perked coffee a day and didn't touch it for many years.

I usually have one filter coffee mid morning, but I'm having a bit of a problem with high blood pressure.

I tried decaff and to my surprise I actually like Kenco Decaff it's smooth, rich and full of flavour. For a "fake" surprisingly satisfying.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes that's me 'Instant' coffee drinker, the clue is in the name ;) I mostly drink tea, but have the odd coffee in the afternoon on most days. I do admit that the smell of fresh brewed coffee is very appealing, but to me it has usually been a big let down with the smell being far nicer than the taste. Other than a strong, sweet Turkish I could not drink black coffee as it needs milk and sugar before I will drink it, the biggest annoyance I found in America was that habit of waitresses topping up your coffee just as you had made it drinkable :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Fourteen cups a day!?!?!?! MD you WOULD have had a coffee buzz! ;) WOW! I drink 'about' 2 cups. I drink about half a cup and enjoy it. Then the rest is cold so then I add more coffee and zap it but this part is never the same as the first few sips of fresh coffee. Sometimes I drink another half cup before deciding it is too cold and usually tip out into the sink those dregs and sometimes make me another fresh cup - and then drink half/zap and it all starts again ;) I do drink coffee with soy milk which is healthier than cream or the half and half creams. Seems to be more of a morning coffee ritual and often I'll wander out late morning to go to a coffee shop with Kindle in hand so I can sit and read and have another cup.

Interestingly I'm also good with drink strong black tea + skim milk in the morning but mostly I do drink coffee.

Waiters and waitresses here do do the same thing as in the States which is to zip around all the tables topping up your coffee cup. I'm OK with this IF my cup is empty but I hate getting to the tepid stage when the top up doesn't give me another cup of HOT coffee but instead gives me warm to cold. Don't mind waitresses doing this and I don't mind asking to have my cup dumped out prior to getting another full hot cup.

Am still thinking about MD - wow - 14 cups is pretty impressive. I'd be so shaky I don't think I'd be walking ;) ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

What do they top up with LLL? Something that has been stewing on a hot plate no doubt. I would hate that. Even instant can be jazzed up if you find a good brand, make it strong (about 3 spoons to the cup) and grate in some very strong, unsweet, dark chocolate to give a mocca flavour. Not a bad compromise for REAL coffee. We only drink coffee in the morning, never after mid-day.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have had several cups of tea today, three I think :tk but no coffee.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - I know the kind of coffee you're talking about - old coffee that has been brewed and then left to sit. Believe me at the amount of coffee American drink day and night that POT of coffee is never left to sit. Most restaurants continuously brew new pots so there is never a complaint about old condensed down coffee. Usually the waitresses will announce too that they are topping you up with a 'fresh brew.'

I don't drink coffee hardly ever past about noon and at noon it can be either tea or coffee, all depends on where I'm going. Here in Canada I think we all drink lots of coffee in the morning but not so much in the afternoon. One of my big complaints in the USA is the restaurants there do not have tea pots. They tend to bring you a cup of tea via just hanging a bag in a cup and pouring hot water over it or they bring you tepid water in a clear small 1 cup size glass carafe. The expectation is you'll pour this water into your cup and then jig your tea bag up and down. HERE you usually get a proper tea pot brought to your table with a tea bag in it immersed in boiling water.

I'm not a fan of herbal teas but do like black tea.

I can't drink espresso - way too strong for me. I like weak mild coffee and a medium roast is about as hard as it gets. I find instant coffees here (which are sold but not too popular) usually come with a bitter taste.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

LLL When I was on the coffee big time I was simply mad.

My daughters told me recently that they had wondered if I was Bi-Polar at this time.

I rarely had more than 4 hours sleep a day, up at 4.45am shower, feed the animals walk the dog for half an hour - he had a very large garden for the rest of the day , but I believe in walking dogs - do domestic/family stuff, then ideally leave for work before 8.10am as soon after there was a traffic surge. Then drive 20 miles to work, mostly motorway and at great speed in an attempt to get there before 9.00am. Work in garden centre until 6.00pm back down the motorway stopping off 5 miles from home to see my mother and spend a couple of hours with her ( Pre-Alzheimer's). Back home see to animals including milking goats and cows, some domestic/family and back to bed hopefully by 1.00am.

I did have a day off a week, where I tried to catch up on domestic/family and I always said if I could have had coffee intravenously I would.

PS If I have told this tale before I apologise, it's my age, you know!
Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

We have numerous varieties and makes of instant coffee, so it is easy to find a blend that suits your own taste, they will range from very 'mellow' to really strong and from lots of different coffee growing countries. You can also buy all sorts of beans and ground coffee and even fresh ground beans, but I would guess that instant coffeee was the biggest seller in the UK.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We just have one cup of coffee mid morning and drink tea for breakfast and the rest of the day. SO a coffee machine and all the associated accessories are simply not justified.
The latest 'instant' that we are trying is Kenco Millicano. Not much different from the others and I still need 3 spoons in a cup to anywhere near 'taste the coffee' :lol:

Taking about coffee, anyone remember 'Camp' coffee, an essence of coffee and chicory. Takes me back to the forties when that was what we drank as coffee :lol: It was even my mothers choice until she died nearly 20 years ago....
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We just have one cup of coffee mid morning and drink tea for breakfast and the rest of the day. SO a coffee machine and all the associated accessories are simply not justified.
The latest 'instant' that we are trying is Kenco Millicano. Not much different from all the others and I still need 3 spoons in a cup to anywhere near 'taste the coffee' :lol:

Talking about coffee, anyone remember 'Camp' coffee, an essence of coffee and chicory. Takes me back to the forties when that was what we drank as coffee :lol: It was even my mothers choice until she died nearly 20 years ago.... Apparently it is still available but used mostly for coffee flavouring in cake and pastry making.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I can remember Camp coffee Grandad, more chicory than coffee methinks ;)
It used to have the Scotish soldier on the label sitting on a stool drinking it if I remember correctly
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:I can remember Camp coffee Grandad, more chicory than coffee methinks ;)
It used to have the Scotish soldier on the label sitting on a stool drinking it if I remember correctly
Yes, and sitting beside him a turbaned Indian gentleman, all Very Empire :lol: :lol:

But it was/is horrible stuff. :evil:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - OMG with that schedule you must've been running on pure caffeine!

Going into the coffee aisle of any of our grocery stores will show lots of various blends and varieties however re: instant there are maybe 3 varieties at best. There is usually whatever generic brand the store sells and that instant will look like powder. Usually Maxwell House and Folgers are the other 2 brands if the store even carries 3 types. There are no blends or mixes as instant isn't popular here.

What is a small and growing grass roots type industry is roasting coffee. These places usually have the walls decorated with the burlap coffee bags all the different varieties of coffee come from and some of them will usually display an old and ornate coffee grinder (I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to find one as it would go on display immediately in the kitchen). The fragrance is wonderful.

My friends in the USA from India drank a granulated coffee that was mostly chickory. I used to have a jar of it as I'd serve it to them when they came over. Tasted awful to me. The label was green with yellow lettering but no picture(s) on it.

Coffee nowadays seems to an accepted drink to bring into business meetings, weekly staff meetings and is acceptable everywhere. I guess one could smuggle in tea in a to go mug ;) but methinks coffee has taken hold and is a national drink in many places (although here in Canada we're probably 60/40 or 55/45 coffee to tea.)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad it is even more vile when you are about 8 years old and your mother mistakenly picks up a small bottle of Camp thinking it is cough mixture and insists despite your spluttering protests that you and your brother “stop messing about and swallow it” otherwise you were going to get a slap (no such thing as children’s rights in those days) :lol: :lol: Its a memory that will stay with me forever :sk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Was this Camp stuff liquid?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Was this Camp stuff liquid?
Yes LLL, it is described as an essence. Dark brown and horrible but in small amounts it will give a coffee flavour to cakes and cream filling.