Best Kitchen Gadget

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Best Kitchen Gadget

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Not counting knifes/kettles and coffee pots - what is your most favourite or most used kitchen gadget/small appliance?

I think the kitchen gadget or small appliance I use the most is my juicer followed by my bread maker. The juicer lives permanently on the kitchen counter and I'd guess I use it minimum 5 times a week. I vouch for anybody to have a juicer but then I realize it meets my needs and might not be everybodies cup of tea. I don't buy bread in the store and probably haven't for several years now. Probably make 3 loaves of bread/week (which might seem lots but when the grandkids come over they can clean up a full loaf at a sitting)

I know from time to time different kitchen helper items come into vogue. Some end up as staples in the kitchen cause they're really useful but other items are no more than fads that come in and then go back out i.e. George Forman Grill (must be a bizzillion of these in the Thrift Stores here. Never owned one but cause they're plentiful in the Thrifts I've assumed they don't do what they're supposed to do)

What kitchen gadget or small appliance could you not do without?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Best Kitchen Gadget

Post by Horus »

The George Foreman grill's biggest drawback is that they are difficult to clean and according to my daughter who does own one my two grandsons allways leave them dirty after they use it. My most used devices would be my 'Crock Pot' slow cooker followed by my electric toaster.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Electric Steamer. :up

How times have changed for the better - once it would have been a deep fat fryer! :o
Smile! It confuses people
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I'm the same with Horus on this one...............my slow cooker is my favourite at the moment :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

MD, I also use my steamer more so than pots and pans, but mine sits on the gas hob :up
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

my husband :lol: :D I use the kitchen to make coffee.
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I actually have a rice cooker/ slow cooker and I do use it mostly to cook rice as it is so simple and easy and the clean up super easy. Don't use the slow cook function too often although sometimes if I'm on the run I'll put my soup in there to continue to cook as I can't leave it on the stove.

Never realized the George Forman grill was hard to clean. I've just seen LOTS of them in the Thrifts so assumed there was something with them that people didn't like.

And I actually forgot about my electric steamer. I use it exclusively for cooking carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. Haven't boiled them for years.

There always seem to be new kitchen gadgets coming forward. I just cleaned out everything & I was looking at what I had and wondering to me if there was something everybody else had and was happily using while I was still sloughing away. I guess there really are only a few basic kitchen items that are necessary.

I saw small round infrared ovens recently that are supposed to cook your meat really fast. Don't have one but was wondering if they're really efficient?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Robbo - you'll have to ask Omar what HIS favourite kitchen gadget is! ;) ;)
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Mine has to be my 5 blade scissors, a few seconds to reduce a bunch of herbs to tiny pieces so they go into my daily salad. Also my whizzer for soup, pancake mix etc, both easy to clean ( you get a little plastic comb with the scissors )
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I love gadgets - especially kitchen gadgets! One I can never see me doing without is my Kenwood processor. I cook lots and it is a food mixer, processor and a liquidiser. I use it for cakes, pastry, grating, chopping, making meringues, whipping cream - you name it, I use it! :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote: What kitchen gadget or small appliance could you not do without?
'er indoors! :lol:

But as I have said a hundred times, the kitchen is out of bounds to me......and I like it that way. :lol: :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - how is the processor cleaning? Is it easy? or do you have to take it all apart?

I really like to go for easy peasy, no muss no fuss and all with easy clean up. I sometimes wander the gadgets and think to me if there could be an easier way but usually I wander back out of the small appliance section empty handed.

I will say I do tend to use a knife to cut, chop, slice and dice and if I can't get it to where I need to go with a knife then it doesn't go there. I use wooden spoons quite a bit for stirring, flipping, moving foods around and the ladle gets a regular workout. The microwave is rather a must (although usually I just re-heating things in it). Don't think I've ever actually cooked anything in it.

I see some peoples kitchens are just FULL but I seem always to just use a few things -
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Another favourite of mine, not an appliance, but rather a tool and it is those flat flexible bladed spatulas made from silicone, great for scraping around mixing bowls. I actually own two, one Blue and one Red which I keep for different jobs, the Blue one for baking and the red one if I am say pushing fried liver around a non stick frying pan. I also like to use those tongs with silicone ends that lock closed for tidy storage as you pull the ring at the end, they are great fot 'hot' cooking like turning sausages or bacon under the grill. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I year or so ago now I was at the Dollar Store and bought some bamboo wooden spoons. I really quite like them way better than the other wooden spoons that I have. They hold up lots better in water and so far have stayed quite smooth. For $1 each they're virtually indestructible and the handles are thicker and more moulded to your hand than the old wood spoons.

I also got 1 bamboo cutting board and wish now I'd bought more - cutting boards. They're small but quite handy to move about the counters.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

LLL. I have bamboo here, so would like to see your bamboo cutting board or a description of how it is made ? How does the bamboo spoon work ? is it 2 pieces or one ?
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Another kitchen gadget made its appearance in my kitchen today - a new breadmaker! :lol: my old one was given away quite a few years ago to my eldest son, so I decided it was more than time to get another one. Being out all day, I haven't even had time to unpack it yet, so fun and games tomorrow!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I use my breadmaker anywhere from twice to four times a week and sometimes more. Pure luxury to always have fresh bread.

There are lots of recipes but the recipe I use daily:

1 1/3cups hot water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt

3 and 1/2 cups flour
Then on top of this I throw in about half a teaspoon of: flax seed, poppy seed, sesame seed (white or black and sometimes both), chia seed and psyllium seed.

1 tablespoon yeast granules

I put this into the breadmaker and click 'til I get to RAPID BAKE (2hours) and press start. Comes out as super nice bread every time.

I sometimes throw in half a cup of whole wheat flour instead of the half cup of white.

ENJOY your NEW breadmaker! Super simple and easy to always have fresh warm bread :) :) :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

The breadmaker had its first outing today and made its first loaf! :up I have never tasted such delicious bread and it knocks my old one into a cocked hat!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Not a kitchen utensil, just another domestic device. For vacuuming around the house we had a Samsung bagless, so called , lightweight upright cleaner that weighed in at 7 kilos. We also had a Hoover bagless pull along. A few weeks ago I bought Mrs G a Dyson V6 cordless wand cleaner. It only weighs 2 kilos and she absolutely loves it. The plus side is no trailing cords, very light weight, and goes anywhere even wher an upright won't go. The one downside is its very small dust collector but that is just my view and Mrs G is happy to just push the button and empty it every time it is used.

The old cleaners (both in excellent condition) are now in the garage for eldest grandson to choose which he would like when he moves with girlfriend into thier first flat. (He may take both ;) )
:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Lucky Mrs G! I solved the problem of heavyweight vacuum cleaners by having a separate one upstairs, one downstairs and a small one for the stairs! :oops: