The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - movie and book

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

cbrbddd

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - movie and book

Post by cbrbddd »

I read the book then went to see the movie! Both are good! Not sure what the possibility of a Swedish sub-titled movie getting to Cairo but they do have movies from all over . . . so if it shows up there it would be worth going to see.

CATHERINE

I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . . . I went down down down and the flames went higher . . . and it burns, burns, burns . . that ring of fire, that ring of fire!
Morgita

Post by Morgita »

This is the first part of a trilogy. Apparently the author died shortly after completion and never saw it through to print. The first two parts got me through four very painful days in hospital last October. I was loaded up with Tramadol and apparently I would read, sleep a bit, wake up and read again. All the time holding on to the book with my one good hand. I read the third part three weeks later without benefit of drugs and found it vaguely disappointing. I felt it would benefit from a good edit. I haven't seen the film yet but I would probably avoid it. I usually find film adaptations do not live up to the book. The sets I create in my imagination are usually far superior ( in my not so humble view). Certainly in this case I have very clear vision of the sets and the characters. Who says the drugs don't work!
cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

I thought the movie was a good adaptation and was pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, they can't put everything in the movie so some things did have to be left out. . . otherwise, we would have been there for way too long. It would have been a good candidate for a mini-series.

And I know what you mean about having visualized much of it so it can be hard to watch the movie. I was afraid that would happen for me too. But I'd read some good reviews so decided to give it a chance.
CATHERINE

I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . . . I went down down down and the flames went higher . . . and it burns, burns, burns . . that ring of fire, that ring of fire!
cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

and, yes, I have read all 3 books now . . . I rather agree about the 3rd one but I still enjoyed it.
CATHERINE

Morgita

Post by Morgita »

I will certainly try to see the film although I haven't seen any publicity for it here. It's such a good story that it's bound to make a good movie in any language. I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking the third part the weakest of the three. I wonder if the author might have tightened it up a bit had he lived. It was an excellent read as it stood but lacked the measured pace of the first two. My visualisation of this novel in particular was so strong because of the circumstances that I almost feel I've already seen the movie!
cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

I just went to see the 2nd movie in the series today. It was still good but not as good as the first. They must leave so much out since they can't make the movie too long. In fact, right now, as I have finished the 3rd book a few weeks ago, I am feeling confused about what was in the 1st, 2nd, then 3rd book . . . The movie makes it a bit more disjointed as it doesn't follow all the plots of course.

Maybe I should have waited to see any of the movies . . . assuming they did make the 3rd one in Sweden. AND Hollywood will do their adaptation soon . . . I wonder if it will show more of the violence and less of the sex/nudity???
CATHERINE

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - movie and book

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I loved the trilogy, struggled with the names but enjoyed each book and enjoyed the anticipation of getting into the next part of the story. I haven't watched the movie yet, not sure I will as I'm not sure the "Hollywood" version will equal the book(s). Might be better but am waiting 'til I hear first hand from a few more friends who have actually seen the movie.

These were also one of the first books I read on my Kindle.

I don't think I was alone in liking these books. They were all on the best seller list for a long time.

As (ahem) the Christmas season/holiday season is coming up soon are there any releases that need to scouted as prezzies?

I'd still encourage anybody who hasn't yet read "The Girl" trilogy to purchase them.......
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have read or rather listened to the first book on audio and seen the original film, dubbed into English. I found both to be very good, but like LLL I found the names hard to remember. The original film follows the book quite closely, but leaves out much off the build up regarding the main characters life and problems, it also skips most of the sexual violence and for obvious reasons is not as graphic as the book. This is understandable, but to me it took away the real reason for the main female character to behave as she does because of being abused. Overall the book 5* and the dubbed original film 4*
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hmmmm - if you're giving the film version a 4 I might just wander on down to the theatre - well OK - rent the dvd and watch it. There is only one theatre here and I doubt their showing this film now......but will add it to my list to watch this up coming holiday season :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, remember I am talking about the original film with a dubbed soundtrack and not the Hollywood remake which I have yet to see. This afternoon I watched again the film 'Kingdom of Heaven' with Orlando Bloom a truly great storyline and a message in tolerance between religions, well worth a viewing. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - ohhhhhhhhh the original!! Geez I doubt I'd find that around here as "HOLLYWOOD" sort of tops all here.........

My daughter has Netflix and I'll be in Canada for Christmas soooooooo 'maybe' I can find the original there......

Do you get Netflix in the UK? Do you like it and use it?

In Canada (and I don't know about here in the US) for $8/month you can get unlimited movies, shows etc. Quite a few people there subscribe to it and don't get cable TV. The only downside to Netflix is that you can't get daily news and stuff like that.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes we can get Netflix here at around the same cost £6 P/M, but up to date I have not tried it as I never even get to watch everything I pay for on 'Sky' which is a satelite service here in the UK.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

So far on all my forays north this past summer I've been watching movies that are on dvd as I do not have any form of cable hooked up 'yet' and as everything is now 'High Definition' (HD) there is nothing that can be gotten via antennae. Once I'm there I'll have to decide if I want cable or not. Most services in Canada are bundled in that you have to buy internet, telephone and cable TV service. You can't seem to get 'just one' anymore.

My plan is to travel so am not too sure which service I want. I have a cheapy cell phone there (just like here) and while it works am not sure I really want a landline. I like watching TV news but I can't just get cable AND I want internet too so ???? Decisions decisions decisions.........