Minions - the Movie

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Minions - the Movie

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Right now here we seem to be seeing "Minions" everywhere. The little yellow one eye'd guys who speak gibberish. They are now plastic toys that you can buy in McDonald restaurants.

Just got a blurb sent by a friend, in French, that explains that "MINIONS" was the word that was used in Nazi Germany by Germans in reference to the Jewish children used in scientific experiments. These Jewish kids, the subject of heinous experiments often screamed and verbalized in pain and were not able to speak German and so their language and screams of pain sounded like gibberish to the Germans who thought this - their language and pain quite funny.

Is this really the true origins of "Minions?"

I've been with the twins to McDs and have been seeing these Minion things everywhere. There is now even a movie out about them but I'd heard a critique of the movie in that these Minions do not speak at all in the movie. They use grunts and gibberish to convey their messages and feelings but no words are spoken. The Movie Critic said the Minions movie was cute but he grew tired of there being only gibberish talking.

Anybody else have any knowledge of what the Nazi German scientists called the Jewish kids they experimented on? (I definitely hope this article isn't right cause I don't particularly want my grandkids idolizing Minions if really they're kids who were subjected to horrendous medical and scientific experiments)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Minions - the Movie

Post by Horus »

That sounds like an urban myth LLL, I doubt very much if it has any connection to Germans and death camp experiments, the connection would have been too obvious to survivors or historians and as far as I recall they used the same word to describe all races that they disliked from Jews to Russians, from Gypsies to the mentally infirm as 'Untermensch' which is German for underman, sub-man, or subhuman.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

LLL, DID YOU NOT SEE THE PHOTO ?? I sent you a photo of the children in the one eye helmets in Nazi germany and made my usual sarcastic remarks on the Minions inventor must be an old Nazi . .
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Jayway - I did see the photo (but couldn't copy it) and I basically translated to here from French what the article said.

I know that the Minions are everywhere here right now, cartoons of them all over Facebook and they are even selling them here (little plastic guys) in McD's restaurant. There is also a full length movie.

What caught my attention was hear a Movie critic say that while the move is "cute" the Minions only speak gibberish for the entire length of the movie and use 'sounds' to approximate feelings.

I dunno if, as per the French article it is true or not but in the French article it gave sufficient info that correlates to what the Minions are now. I do think Horus has a valid point though that IF truly the Minions did evolve out of Germans using Jewish kids for experiments it would be all over social media as abhorrent ........ wouldn't it?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I would like to see the link to that article or the photos as I just don't believe any of it, its too far fetched. ;)

Edit: I just did a quick search and every site that had any similar claim always seemed to be run by a nut of some sort :st
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have always thought of 'minions' as people of relatively low intelligence who follow a trend without much thought.

Whoops! Just shot myself in the foot.....I upgraded to Win10 with all the other minions :lol: :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Somehow I just don't see you as a Minion ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I was a little intrigued by this original claim that Minion characters were in some way based upon Jewish children who were tortured by nazi’s in the death camps, so I asked LLL to send me the image. As you can see it is a very poor photograph and I would say it was not faked in any way, but the claim is ridiculous to say the least. I have enhanced the image as seen here to make it clearer, but apart from removing a sad face emoticon it has not been altered in any way by myself.

The supposed 'Minion' image

My first reaction was to think that yes they do bear a resemblance to the Minion characters, but that’s about as far as it goes. For a start, if you look closely at the figures they are not children at all, but adults when compared to the obvious other adults in the image. Further more the people (not children) are disembarking from a naval vessel possibly from WW1, in this case a ship as can be seen by the officers in naval uniform and the ships anchor visible in the top left of the image. They are all leaving the vessel via a lowered steel walkway and stepping over a gangplank onto the harbour side. Judging by their dress I would say that they are probably some sort of naval diver team or possibly a mine demolition or underwater inspection/repair team.

Those are certainly helmets of some kind with a fixed glass face plate for viewing similar to this one:

If I had to guess I would say that they are intended for fairly shallow water use, if you look closely you can see a haversack on each persons chest and you can make out a tube connecting this to the helmet and are almost certainly an early ‘re-breather’ unit to avoid using pumped air lines as in conventional diving apparatus used at the time and giving more freedom of movement. Whatever they are they are not Jewish children being tortured and I have no interest in making the Nazi’s look good and am well aware of the real atrocities that they did commit against many children in the death camps.

It is a fact of life that almost anything can be likened to something else and an assumed connection made, here is a good example.

Now is that proof that ancient people drew images of Minions on rock walls? Or is it in fact just a coincidence that this image often called ‘The Great Martian God’ and painted by Australian Aborigines just looks like a Minion? I rest my case ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Thanks H and thanks for all the research too. I think you've put this one to rest quite definitively. I have no idea where the original photo came from but as you point out it seems to be quite a stretch to link it to the cartoon characters flitting about the TV screen today and I do agree that anything can be linked to anything else is one tries hard enough.

I don't know if you get a TV show called "Ancient Aliens" which is on either Discovery or History channel here. I've watched it a few times and while I'm sure the people on there probably are quite well educated and spend copious hours on their theories some are a real stretch as they're always trying to link something from the past to aliens visiting earth. Sometimes their theories sound real plausible and are backed up with some sort of art work or the other from way back when but it is all couched in heavy suspicion as to whether it is true or not.

I think in this case it is possible somebody came across an old photo and made a leap that it related to the cartoons of today.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks LLL :up and yes I have watched the program you refer to and its presenter with the mad haircut Georgio Tsoukalos who is a Swiss born Greek. Actually I will watch it quite often when having my dinner just so that I can rip his theories apart, I would love to be in the program and challenge their assertions, but I supposev that would not make good television :urm:

I found you this video clip for you ;)
phpBB [video]
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - yes that guy. I've watched Ancient Aliens (not often but often enough to know the show) and they are desperately searching and trying to make connections between this that or the other to desperately prove ancient aliens visited here (Earth) and I even think they postulate that us humans may have derived from the interbreeding of us and aliens.

Not that I can right now recall a single theory but sometimes I hear a theory that is possibly plausible but in the absence of any other evidence it is all "possibly plausible"

I don't believe it was Ancient Aliens but recently I watched a show - not on a sitting down concentrating on the content level but rather I caught part of it - but it was proposing that humans derived from distinct groups of humanoids rather on the idea that there are different breeds of horses but all horses have manes and tails and that these groups Neanderthals and Cro-Magnon were interbreeding (but if memory serves I believe they had more than just these 2 groups but not terribly sure now).

Now that theory I could see the merits of (wish I'd seen more of the show) however Ancient Aliens is somewhat entertaining, the guys are trying real hard and the one fellow definitely has an interesting hair style. He must use a TON of gel to get his hair to stick up that way......make me wonder what he was thinking or doing to ever arrive at a hairstyle like that in the first place.