Shows at Christmas???

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Shows at Christmas???

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Usually coming into the Christmas holiday season there are newly released shows. I missed getting tickets this year to the Nutcracker so have started to check out the Movie theatres but am not seeing anything that looks promising.

Anybody going to any that are sounding or likely to be really good?

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Shows at Christmas???

Post by Grandad »

We don't have any plans along those lines over Christmas LLL but have decided that we will have a few short breaks in London in the new year to see a few shows and museums etc.
You are probably aware that over Christmas the most popular outing for families with children is a trip to the Pantomime. Most towns and cities have a 'panto in their local theatre for around 4 weeks into the new year. Our local Marlowe Theatre is putting on Aladdin with many TV personalities in the cast.
It is a standard 'fun' format and whether it is Aladdin. Cinderella, Snow White, Jack and the Beanstalk or whatever, there are always the same bits to get the kids involved.....Great fun. :lol: :lol:

Do you have anything similar in Canada or the US
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Nothing along the lines of Pantomine here. Our local theatre is desperately trying to raise funds to expand because it is too small, old, outdated. Box office-wise they can't get the $$ to encourage big theatre performers but because they're not getting the $$ they can't expand. Chicken 'n egg.

The only typically child venue over Christmas is the Nutcracker but the twins at 4 (5 in January) probably wouldn't sit through it and at $65/seat it gets kinda pricey if they're not interested and we doubt they are. Now if there was a truck to drive across the stage they'd be right there but ballet? I'll just have to wait 'til next year to take them.

The only movie that I saw that might be of interest to them is another Penguin Madagascar movie. Their mom and dad have the dvd of Happy Feet about Penguins but there was zip for interest in it.

The twins were taken to see Father Christmas known as Santa Claus here and he was a huge hit. Both boys sat, even had their photos taken and were totally thrilled to tell him all their wishes, wants, secrets. Baby girl on the other hand was having absolutely NOTHING TO DO with the old guy. She wasn't going to go even close without screaming but was happy to sit and watch her brothers.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Santa Claus, Father Christmas, and just Santa are all used here LLL. I find it SO wonderful that the little kids are in awe of Santa and entirely believing in the deceit.

A friend of a friend has a son who is just 13 and as he was still a believer his parents thought they MUST come clean because most kids have seen through it all long before that age. They told him and then had big problems with him until he eventually accepted what they told him. I found that story almost unbelievable but it is entirely true.....
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think I was probably around 7 yrs old when I came to the realization that Santa wasn't a reality. I think nowadays most kids have it figured out when they reach school. Thirteen is a big of wishful thinking or being very naïve but if holding a belief gives one comfort, fun, good thoughts then why not believe?

We have Santa's in special Santa Castles and chairs in the middle of the mall. The fellow around here that plays Santa does have a real long white beard and does have real long white hair so he is pretty convincing. Santa here also arrives via helicopter in the downtown. Reindeer don't fly too well over open water!

When my girls were little Santa used to arrive on top of the local Fire truck. Poor guy used to sit on top of the cab and really had to hold on. Am sure he had a numb bum from the cold off the cab too. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

A few months ago I read this book: Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand

It was based on the true story of Louie Zamerini who started out as a juvenile delinquent, turned into an Olympic runner and did a stint in the Army during the War. It was a can't put it down book and I just saw on TV that it has now been turned into a movie.

If the movie "Unbroken" is anything like the book it will be terrific. Just an FYI to all if you're looking for a good read over the holidays and/or if you're looking for a good movie to see.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I think I saw a documentary once on Louie Zamerini............or at least I think it was about him :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Don't want to give away the book or movie but Louie was a juvenile delinquent, took up running, joined the Army and had an entire host of adventures there. He didn't fare too well following the war but his running brought him to the Olympics. It was a really interesting book (I got it from the Library) that has been in the Best Seller list for probably well over a year now.

I'm going to wait for reviews of the movie and 'might' go to see it or not. I really enjoyed the book and sometimes after reading a book when I go to see the movie it just doesn't measure up however other times but not as often at all the movie is better than the book. Need to see what the movie goers say once the movie comes out. Course the reverse is also true too - once I see a movie then I do or don't sometimes read the book.

I remember seeing, way back when, the movie "ROCKY" with Sylvester Stallone. I thought it was wonderful particularly after the sequels came out. Somewhere along the line I got my hands on the book and it was simplistically awful. I was so disappointed in the book and I had such high hopes too.