Christmas Song for the Season

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Christmas Song for the Season

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Here and in the USA it is considered very inappropriate by the PC Police to say "Merry Christmas"

There is a growing sentiment against the PC Police on this one........the song rather reflects the attitude

**Not sure why clicking "VIDEO" isn't bring this up

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Christmas Song for the Season

Post by Horus »

Iv'e often wondered about that myself, if it is Christmas then that's it, it is a celebratory day for Christians and not for any other religion or for a none believer in Christianity, you eithjer subscribe to it or you don't. What you don't do though is turn it into something it is not just to keep other religions happy, you would for example not wish someone of the islamic faith anything other than Eid Mubarak or similar at the end of Ramadan, you wouldn't say "enjoy your three days of stuffing your face after Ramadan" you would out of respect use the traditional greeting and even if it has nothing to do with your own religion then it would only be a polite greeting as the actual holiday would mean very little to you, so why would you want to change Eid Mubarak or Happy Christmas as traditional greetings that apply to those two religions?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

For quite a few years here it has been considered very politically incorrect to say "Merry Christmas" as apparently saying that is very offensive to 'some' people. Nobody can ever really elaborate WHO these people might be but by me saying Merry Christmas to a coworker in the office and being overheard by "some" person could have been cause for discipline as apparently I would be offending somebody and by extrapolation offending their religion!!!

It was all BS and often Merry Christmas just fell out my mouth cause just seems natural to me to say that. As natural as it was for me to say to my Jewish coworkers Happy Hanukah or Happy Kwanza or Eid Mubarak if applicable however saying Merry Christmas is pretty verboten.

I sort of threw a wrench into it once in the office claiming that I had "cultural" considerations too being Canadian in an American office. Got to admit my American compatriots never quite knew what to do with that.

It does seem Christianity is under attack and if people need, want or wish to wish each other Merry Christmas I think they should be openly doing this. I honestly cannot see how this is offensive to anybody (unless they chose to take offence by it). I would honestly welcome being told you ascribe to whatever religion. Tell me about it, explain your customs and I'll happily wish you a Happy whatever when I see you. What I object to is the claim that I'm being disrespectful to you by using one of my own common phrases that celebrates a holiday season for me.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ditto that :up