For WI, re laptop mouse click

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

For WI, re laptop mouse click

Post by Horus »

WI, just a thought on your Right Mouse Click problem, you said that you had a Mac, well this is always a pain in the butt on these machines. Usually if they are configured properly a single finger tap on the track pad will represent a LEFT click and a two finger tap on the track pad will be a RIGHT click, for this to work it may need to be set up in order to do this.

See if you can access ‘System Preferences’ and then go to Keyboard & Mouse. Make sure "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click" is checked. Then you hopefully afterwards you can just right click using two fingers on the trackpad.

Other things that may be relevant are that on some Laptops (I don’t know about Macs) there may be another key to the right of the ALT and Space key with a little mouse pointer icon on it, if so this would be a RIGHT click key.

You could also try highlighting the thing you want to select and see if pressing ALT + Enter gives you a Right Click Menu, You could also try using Shift + F10 to do the same.

Also have a close look at your trackpad to see if there is a small square in the Top Right corner, or try tapping in this part of the trackpad to get a Right Click.

Hopefully one of the above will work for you. :)

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Oh H, how kind of you to try to help! Nothing like that listed on my Systems Preferences, and tried all the others, but nothing doing. :( Never mind, but it was sweet of you to take the time and trouble. Will have to ask next time I'm near the Apple shop; but that's an hour from my village. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ah that's a shame, I thought that maybe one of those methods would work.
If you like, you can tell me the make and model of your laptop and I will try to find out some more for you, or PM me the details, unless of course you just want to wait until you visit the Apple shop, but if you do make sure you take the laptop with you in case they need to change some O/S settings for you.
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

It's a Powerbook G4, with Mac OS X, 10.5.8. due to die next year, apparently. Sigh! :roll:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Mmm, doing a bit of research it seems that this is a particular problem with the Mac Powerbooks :(
There are a couple of programmes that replace the Mac driver and give you a right click or can make a part of your touchpad operate as a mouse button, they are called 'SideTrack' & 'Scroll' the first one was a Shareware programme, but I don't think it is available now, but it may be a bit technical for you to install without some local help.

However, if you already have a key on your laptop that you currently use to give you a LEFT click, have you tried holding down the Ctrl key and at the same time pressing this key and see if that then gives you a RIGHT click?

Or maybe try the F12 key?