CAR - HELP!!

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

CAR - HELP!!

Post by Kiya »

Nothing to do with Egypt but I need advice/help, as some of you know my son is overseas at the moment with work.
His sister tried to start his car engine today but it didn't ! Its been ok other times when shes' taken it out for a spin.
Electronics & battery is ok but when she turns key we only hear a click sound coming from engine ??
The car has been left in 1st gear with handbreak off & blocks behind wheels for extra safety.
I don't want car engine to cease as he is away for some time.

Any suggestions whats wrong or what to do..........Thanks.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Batteries flat! (or a less likely cause is a poor terminal connection)

There may be enough power to show a light but not enough to turn the engine. The click you hear is the starter motor trying to kick in.....

If it has run down so quickly he probably needs a new battery. It is always a good idea to disconnect the battery if it is to be left for some time.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I second what Grandad has said :) definately a flat battery. Even a duff one will seem OK if it is used every day, especially if it gets a little run to and from work, but often what happens is that someone else uses it and maybe just does a short run to the shops and back and thats it, it goes flat.
The other thing that will make a clicking sound can be a sticking starter motor, this is easily checked by putting the car in gear WITH THE IGNITION OFF and rocking the car back and forward. If it is sticking this action usually frees it off and you often hear a click as it frees itself from the flywheel. Once free you can try starting the car again, but it is almost certainly a flat battery. The best thing is to charge it up again if you know someone who can take it off the vehicle for you, then go to a Tyre & Battery dealer and have them do a discharge test on it for you, this will prove that it is a duff battery and needs replaceing.

If you are in the AA or RAC you could call them out to check it for you.

One word of warning, some vehicles will lose the radio code if the battery is disconnected, so if you can, check this with your son before removing the battery for charging or replacement, best way if your not sure is to phone a local dealership and ask the question, they are usually obliging. ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad thank you :D 1 of my neighbours just returned home & after checking everything he thought the same as you....battery!
Although Jennifer has had the car out shes' only done about 5 mls in 2-3wks.
All lights are showing on the dashboard ok & as you say Grandad, I think it may need a jump start & a good run for a few mls.
Hopefully that is all it needs, other than that its a good running car.

Horus just saw your post before my pasting reply to Grandad, you both know what your talking about.....I don't :roll:
As said above Jennifer only had it out a short time so will have to see somebody tomorrow & get the battery checked....I doubt if Roy will no the radio code Horus so I'll check with A Clarks where he bought it.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As I said Kiya, lack of daily use will ALWAYS show up a poor battery. Getting a jump start will help, but it will not cure the problem if it is not holding it's charge properly because the battery is failing. A slack fan belt can result in poor charging and also a faulty Alternator not supplying the correct charge to the battery. If I were you once you get it going again and have given it a road run for at least 30 minutes, you should get it tested as it will only happen again once it stands for some time. If it is the fan belt it would need adjusting up and if it were the Alternator it would need repair or service exchange, again a faulty Alternator can never charge a battery up properly.

Most Tyre & Battery dealers can check this in minutes to see which one is at fault, but it is almost certainly the battery as these are the most common thing to fail, some cars 5 years or so, others never make it to 3 years old.

The danger from losing a radio code will only come if (a) the radio has a security ;) code, or (b) if the battery is disconnected and taken out of the vehicle.

Jump starting or bump starting will not affect the radio code (if it has one) and even a really flat battery will usually keep the radio code alive.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I just checked with his sister, we don't think he has a radio code as he bought his own radio,dvd sat nav combined & fitted it himself.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Wel if that's the case that he did it himself and it did have any security codes, he will have kept then all safe somewhere I would imagine. :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Good Luck Kiya - I think you're in capable hands!
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

When I go to Egypt, usually 2 months and minimum 1 month, my car is at my parents'. I always disconnect the battery, then no-one has to worry about it. Easy peasy! :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

A good idea, but a poor or failing battery will not stay charged for two months regardless of being disconnected. Another thing that many people do not realise is that a fully discharged Lead/Acid car type battery is almost impossible to recharge again after it has gone totally flat, regardless of how new it is. ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Just off the phone from Service Manager at A. Clarks he suggested the same as you guys......flat battery & to give it a jump start & fairly long drive with side lights on, this helps to kick in a quicker charge, then to start engine every other day & a short drive.
My son loves his car but, looking after it is different matter! always left to mother to sort out :roll:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Good advice from him Kiya :) as an Alternator responds to the load that is put on the battery by upping the output supply to compensate for the side lights being on. Stop, starting a car without a decent enough run to put back what you took out to start it is a battery killer, also try and avoid using the horn as this also takes a lots out of a poor battery. Anyway I am glad you are now sorted. :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Since we're on about batteries and I don't know if this is true or not but will leaving a car battery sitting on a concrete floor or cement floor kill it?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Basically no, but with the caveate that you must charge the battery up say every 3 months or so to keep it fully charged. However it all depends upon the state of the battery when it was taken off the vehicle.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thank you all for your advice :) eventually got car started today but not without some worry, following what the service manager at AC said to follow in the manual about jump starting, we had to be careful for the electronics, starting with positive - positive then negative from battery providing the start - to ground on car eg: engine block or screw connection in the engine suspension......that did not work no spark nothing!.......so much for car manual !
Doing it our own way battery - battery with leads.......perfect.......first time with sparks & going like a dream.
Jennifer drove it back to her village 22mls away without a hitch, hopefully tomorrow all will be well when she starts it up.

Thanks all again :D
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Horus wrote:A good idea, but a poor or failing battery will not stay charged for two months regardless of being disconnected. Another thing that many people do not realise is that a fully discharged Lead/Acid car type battery is almost impossible to recharge again after it has gone totally flat, regardless of how new it is. ;)
As I do a round trip of 96km per day to work, I never have the worry of my battery being underutilised. That and regular servicing means its an absolute age since I had a flat one, but you never forget that sickening "click". :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That's great WI but what you don't know is if the battery is holding a full charge. Batteries deteriorate slowly and although it starts the car every day you can reach a point where it is only just doing it then one cold morning it won't. :(

A battery that has given 5 years of good service is worth changing in my book. They are not expensive but essential to the reliable running of the car.

And it may be that replacement is what Kiyas son should be thinking about.
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Your more than likely right Grandad, the battery is 7yrs old, same as car.
It was always ok when Roy here using it back & fore to work + weekends.
Standing here next to the cold air coming off the Nth Sea probably hasn't helped at all.
Other than that for the age of car its been well looked after with previous 2 owners & low mileage on clock.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad is absolutely right, a car starting every day is no proof that the battery is actually any good. The everyday usage to keep it topped up only applies to a good battery, once a car is started it is unlikely to use more power than is being replaced by the Alternator and tops up the 'leaking bucket' so to speak. On a long run it will seem to be OK and it may even start with no problems the next day, but try leaving it for a couple of days parked at an airport, especially in cold weather and see what happens when you return to it again, the bucket is empty :(

I have had company vehicles that were regularly serviced and started every day at the touch of the ignition key and they never gave any indication of not starting, but on at least two occasions I have had a total battery failure occur between switching off the ignition and returning to the vehicle within 30 minutes. Everything has a life expectancy and batteries are no different, constant use will make them appear to be OK, but as lots of people find out, at the first cold snap, click, click, ........
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Agree with all the above. On the few occasions I've had it happen, it's been suddenly.

My mechanic/friend reminds me to get a new battery before the expected expiry, so I guess that helps. Plus my car is always garaged and we are fortunate our winters are mild anyway (no snow for a start). As I usually trade in my cars every 4 or 5 years, and apart from my first (my Mum's old one), I always buy new, I don't give the batteries much chance to let me down either! :)

I guess I've just been very lucky, as it's only happened 2 or 3 times in decades of driving, alhamdilulah. :)

The main thing is the good news that Kiya has sorted her problem. ;)