Given up now!!!!!

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Done another scan tonight, everything seems ok........I think :roll: its submitting posts 1st time so far.

Grandad I'm too trying to do all what you do daily but I'm not sure what the registry clean is????? or "start up to minimum"

BillH

Post by BillH »

Horus wrote:I agree with that Bill :) and also about the site becoming slower at times.
I have a sneaky suspicion that Keefy has swapped the servers over to appease the Blue side and we have now got the duff one, we never had a problem up until they had their latest problem fixed ;) Ah well :roll:
It's a dark art these SQL servers and PHP Bulletin Boards, but we probably share the SQL server with many other clients.

The SQL server can handle queries from many different data bases at once. BUT, when the server is quite, it will perform maintenance such as garbage collection, or hoovering up as I call it.
It's complex, but basically all the resolved queries had a history and set in a queue waiting to be processed. G.C cleans up all the dead cells.
It would hardly be woth while for Keefy to run a dedicated SQL server for all the 4U sites he owns, the traffic is just too low volume to justify it. So I imagine he opts for a co-hosting option, using one of the ISP's servers and the 4U databases are added to the SQL manager.

I suspect that Luxor4u had a garbage collection day on a Sunday, and it can be quite an intense process, so much so that some databases go offline.
I am sure Keefy moved L4U to a new host. maybe this site will move over as well. ?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya said
Grandad I'm too trying to do all what you do daily but I'm not sure what the registry clean is????? or "start up to minimum"
Kiya the problems I have had in the past have mainly revolved around slow operation. I am a duffer when it comes to REALLY understanding how a computer works but I can understand that a cluttered hard drive is likely to slow down operations.

Some time ago it was suggested to me to regularly clean the registry. I use a registry cleaner on a nominal annual subscription. This finds from a few hundred to a couple of thousand items to delete each week when I run it.

The 'temp' file clean up is another area that can clutter things up and is easy to clean via Run > %temp% > ctrl (with)a to highlight everything and then shift (with)del to clear it all out.

The 'start up' thing is not an area to play around unless you know what you are up to.

Disc clean up and defrag can also help to make things run more smoothly but remember, my concerns were about slow running, it sounds as if you have had some infection or conflict in your machine.
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Ok thanks Grandad...............maybe now I'll get back to normal, engineer has been, did a full scan, another Trojan found!!!........he got rid of that & did all bits & bobs & checking a few things all for the price of a fiver.
Everything seems to be ok at last.... fingers X it will last..............Happy days :)
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Horus wrote: I have a sneaky suspicion that Keefy has swapped the servers over to appease the Blue side and we have now got the duff one, we never had a problem up until they had their latest problem fixed ;) Ah well :roll:
No I would not do that :roll: but I think the hosting company might be picking on another server since too many people complained about their sites been down.

The Blue side is on a new server, im sure once that gets busy we will be back to square one. :(