Utube

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Utube

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just home from being out all morning, turned on TV and there is now an active shooting incident at UTube HQ!!

Can't believe there are that many deranged people out there these days that are taking their anger out by shooting everybody else!

Just heard the first info re: the active shooter and they're saying it is a woman wearing a head scarf.. :( :( :(

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Utube

Post by Grandad »

I am just watchifng a live report on this on News night.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Seems the actually shooting has resolved and from what I'm hearing now seems it was more a domestic violence incident than any attempt at terror.

Nothing much else is being said right now and all news has gone back to the regular stuff i.e. a mass caravan group of 1000 migrants or so making their way up through Mexico to the USA and Trump ordering troops to the southern border, DACA kids and all the new taxes here that came into effect April 1 courtesy of Trudeau.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

It's funny LLL but the first time I read "a woman wearing a headscarf" might be an assailant, I honestly was bemused. If I think of a woman in a headscarf I think of an elderly English woman going shopping, I couldn't get a handle on it. Then the penny dropped, getting slow in my old age.

It did remind me of a time, soon after I started to go to Egypt, that I went into our local English country town shopping and stopped at our favourite coffee shop for a rest. It was pouring with rain and I was wearing a headscarf. Lots of women were wearing headscarves, the Queen regularly wears one.

I asked for my coffee and the waitress who had known me for many years just stared at me. I couldn't think why - suddenly she sort of shook herself back to reality and said "I didn't know you were a Muslim!" It surprised me because I rarely wear a hijab in the UK.

There is a very, very slight difference between a scarf and a hijab when just simply put on the head. The English way is put the fabric straight over the head and simply tie under the chin, making a little peak over the forehead. I had recently been in Egypt and got used to folding the scarf so that it laid flat across my forehead with the sides tucked under before knotting under the chin.

At that time I didn't know that Samira was an arabic name, nor that I knew anyone in the UK who was a Muslim. Islam at that time didn't have a low profile here, it simply didn't have a profile. The waitress who was Turkish and a Muslim took it upon herself to see if she could find any other local Muslims - she travelled in from another town every day for work.

We found the nearest Mosque was about 25 miles away, and couldn't find one other Muslim living in the town of about 50,000 people at that time.

How we see others and our attitude towards them changes, but that's life I guess?
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The problem is how any particular dress code is perceived by others. Many cultures and groups have certain styles of dress that identify them as belonging to that particular group and I am afraid that the Hijab is one of those items. The Hijab is also seen by many as just a lesser version of a the Niqab and that headdress is associated with Islam. You may just be wearing it as a headscarf but many people will see it as a symbol of male oppression and adherence to the Islamic faith where even the name means and denotes ‘modesty’. The problem today is that it is associated with extremism in many peoples minds and in today’s world not without some justification, whereas a plain headscarf is not seen in the same light. This woman was apparently an animal rights activist and they too are often associated with holding extreme views and most people with extreme views should be avoided.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

It took a Muslim in the UK to notice my head scarf. :lol:

About 20 years ago I was taking a fairly long taxi ride in London (as usuall not wearing a hijab in the UK) and getting on very well with the driver until he started on the Muslim subject. He ranted on and I let him until finishing with "They're all the same b****y Muslims - all terrrorists" and caught my eye in the driving mirror as I smiled sweetly at him and agreed "Of course I'm a terrorist, I'm a Muslim".

After "But you can't be, you are a nice English lady* and then apologies, I assured him he was welcome to his opinion but in turn apologised for laughing at him, though I did think it was funny.
By the time we reached our destination we had a better underrstanding of each other's points of view and parted on good terms.

I don't usually wear the hijab in the UK after a close call with some louts in London. I can't run fast enough these days :lol: :D
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As I said its more the association to the Islamic religion for others who see them being worn and in the current climate even moderate Muslims get tarred with the same brush as extremists, a bit like wearing a Swastica in Israel.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

News is reporting this morning that the woman is "Nasim Aghdam" so possibly/probably was wearing a head scarf.

Personally if I was living in Egypt or anywhere in the Middle East where the dust was blowing constantly I'd probably wear a head scarf & long coat type covering too to simply keep the dust off my hair and clothes. Nothing to do with religion or modestly I'd be more concerned with just keeping clean.

Again personally if a person opts to wear a head scarf that is totally 100% fine by me so long as it is their own personal choice. Where it bothers me is if it IS mandated by a husband or cleric or anybody who has the attitude "you're a woman so cover up and stay at the end of the line" and takes the choice away from the woman.

To a certain extent too but I haven't really thought much about this - I rather resent when Society is so strict (for lack of a better word) that a style become almost a MUST WEAR. We had it hear more when I was young when, for example, mini skirts were in. Seemingly everybody had to wear one and over time that was cause stores only sold mini skirts however if you had of strolled out with anything other than a mini skirt you would have been looked at and probably treated as "different."

Some people could have handled being different very well but others couldn't and would adhere to a style just because they were not strong enough to handle being different in a crowd.

I wonder if more women took off the hijab how many others would too? In other words right now it is the norm to wear one because everybody always does and always has. Would as many women actually go out wearing one IF the norm was 50/50?

Niqabs and burqas are different to me. I see these as being much more imposed on woman than it being a free choice (again always was so I will continue). Wear one if you want but if required to remove it for identification (airports, banks etc) then my expectation is that it is immediately removed. Sorry but your right to privacy doesn't extend to compromising MY safety.

I also see these as just downright dangerous to the wearer in that vision is compromised so a fall is a distinct possibility.

@MD - BTW when I first heard the announcer say woman with headscarf what comes to my mind is an elderly Polish lady visual with a thick heavy cotton headscarf on her head tied under her chin in a big knot.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

LLL I think there was a time. possibly in the 1950's where the hijab and "Islamic" loose covering wasn't de rigueur, if the old films are to be believed. It is undoubtedly much more comfortable to wear traditional clothes in the Middle Eastern environment. I always wore western clothes, arms and legs fully covered plus a hijab when out and about around Luxor and added an abaya if travelling.

The great thing about hijab is you never have a bad hair day. I have Celtic colouring and don't like the sun on my skin. I love the light, that's quite different.

My DH was very doubtful about me wearing the hijab when we started the business. He wondered if the Tourists would find it off putting and asked me if perhaps I would prefer not to wear one. I didn't think what I wore was any of the tourists business and insisted on wearing it because as I said previously, it's more comfortable. Didn't bother me and I don't think it ever bothered them.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - I hear ya. When I've been in Trinidad for lengthy periods of time I've worn what the locals wear as it IS definitely much more comfortable than my western clothes. If I was going to spend any time in the Middle East I'd probably do the same.

Even today I can see fashion at some point pick up the head scarf as a fashion statement. It can definitely be worn as a fashion statement too!! ;)