Prince Charles & Camilla Accused of being Disrespectful

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Prince Charles & Camilla Accused of being Disrespectful

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Prince Charles and Camilla have been here celebrating Canada's 150th. Many of our "Indigenous" aka Aboriginal aka First Nations aka Native American Indian people have opposed the celebration saying it is really conquest day and the day we stole their land that they apparently owned for 16,000 years.

Be nice to see the documents.

Anyway - during one of the ceremonies there was throat singing by Iqaluit (Artic people again aka Eskimos aka Aboriginals and on and on)

New article as follows:

Prince Charles and Camilla have been accused of showing a lack of respect during a traditional indigenous welcome ceremony in Canada.

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall can be seen laughing while two singers welcomed them with a traditional throat singing performance in Canada's Arctic capital, Iqaluit.

After the footage was posted online, one YouTube user commented: "How disrepectful – their laughing was incredibly rude" while another said: "Extremely rude and disrespectful on both their parts" and "An appalling lack of respect."

Taking to Twitter, someone else wrote: "Bad form from Charles & Camilla. Hurtful & unexpectedly immature".

Another added: "I watched the video: Camilla burst out laughing; Charles was trying hard not to .. shameful".

But there were also people who came to Charles and Camilla's defence in the YouTube comments, with one person writing: "Isn't the point of throat singing that it's a competition to see which singer laughs first?

"The singer on the right looks like she's going to laugh as well. Indigenous people aren't all stoic you know. They enjoy a fun time."

"Look it up. It's a competition, whoever laughs or runs out of breath loses," another wrote.

"It's common for a performance to be done for visiting dignitaries and special occasions and people always laugh, if it wasn't okay to laugh they wouldn't keep doing it."

"The challenge is to outlast your opponent either by them running out of breath or by making them laugh," a third person explained.

"It is a game rather than a form of singing...It is meant to be enjoyed... It is meant to make people laugh..."

Inuit throat singing – known as katajjaq – is an extremely difficult breathing skill to master. It's performed in a duet by two performers, usually female, who engage in a competition to see who can last the longest.

Here's a clip of a throat singing performance from the swearing-in ceremony for Canadian president Justin Trudeau's government in November 2015.

As CBC News explains, traditional throat singing "is a performance and type of contest where two women [or] girls face each other and make sounds to imitate animals or their surroundings. Whoever laughs first, loses."

The senior members of the Royal Family arrived in Canada last Thursday (June 29) in a visit to coincide with Canada's 150th birthday.

Judge for yourself ;)

phpBB [video]

To laugh or not to laugh - THAT IS THE QUESTION

Would you? (laugh that is)

If you didn't get enough this is another example

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Prince Charles & Camilla Accused of being Disrespectful

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you for putting three different examples LLL, it's obviously a very difficult skill to become expert in. I didn't laugh I was fascinated.

Do only women practice this?

The "accompanists" playing their computers in the second video had a level pretentiousness that inspired irritation to the point of violence in me - a full 5 minutes of centre stage droning that had nothing to do with tradition. :x
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I would have laughed even if it was to be taken seriously :oops: mind you, I laugh at Morriss dancers and have had many a dig in the ribs from Mrs H over the years :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have never in person witnessed this tradition. To my knowledge both men and women can do this but seems women do it more than men.

Personally I find it a bit monotonous and boring. I had no idea this was something to be engaged in until one or the other laugh. I almost think that was added by some well-meaning soul for the benefit of Charles and Camilla to lessen the fact they broke into laughter over this (or was it some other inside joke a couple shares? Particularly a couple who travel the world and have to endure whatever ceremonies a country might put them through). There are records and CDs (I guess "record" came out as a flash from the past in my old brain) that float about here from time to time with this or that song that is throat sung - but NONE ever end in laughter. Some of the CD's I've heard have a much broader range of sound than what is on here. I always thought throat singing was something to be enjoyed much like a concert. Had no idea it was any sort of competition broke by laughter (I really don't believe that is part of it but ?? Am not an expert)

The Inuit are a distinct ethnic group from our First Nations Indian people and their traditions and customs are different and derive from living in a stark landscape (Artic) covered in lots of snow for pro-longed period of time with absolutely no commodities hence I can see something like throat singing develop. In a way I'm very thrilled it is something that is being carried on.

On another note - I'm sure from time to time re: Charles and Camilla when they're on the point of physical exhaustion from hours of travel and having to sit for hours and maintain 'interest' in whatever is being presented to them they must crack and what better way to shed the, shall I call it, stress than to break down into laughter. OMG they are HUMAN! ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A lot of fuss about nothing IMO. I am sure I would find it amusing and at least chuckle. Charles is obviously his fathers son. Philip has often been accused of being disrespectful by laughing or saying something 'inappropriate' in the past but to many people that endears him to them, including me.
Why do so many take life SO seriously?
:gg: