Gordie Howe - RIP

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Gordie Howe - RIP

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just hearing this morning that one of our hockey legends Gordie Howe passed away today at 88. He played hockey when the sport was just brutal. He had one of the longest hockey careers in the entire sport. He was married with 4 children and one of his claims to fame is that he was always 'such a nice lovely man' who was real 'down to earth.' Definitely a legend here. One of our most famous Canadians.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Gordie Howe - RIP

Post by Mad Dilys »

RIP Gordie.

Nearly 60 years ago, I used to go to Brighton in Sussex to watch the Brighton Tigers team. Tame stuff compared to the Canadians but I loved it. I tried to find out as much as I could about the Canadian players, in fact I was forward in my plans to move to Canada with a girl friend in 1965 when my boss proposed - the rest is history. 8)
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Gordie Howe - RIP

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hockey until recently used to be a really brutal sport here. Most of the older players have no front teeth and in the 'good old days' they never wore helmets. Fighting was rife. I flatly refused to allow my daughters to even consider it - however - lots has changed in recent years and now there are lots of sanctions against anybody who throws a punch and helmet standards have dramatically increased.

The grandsons are already following the Canadian kids dream of being star hockey players and have skates (they can skate already), hockey helmets, sticks and various pads. One square meter of ice anywhere here and kids will flock to it in complete gear.

Gordie Howe was one of the originals of the game who set a standard that I don't believe has been beaten.