PreHistoric Find

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

PreHistoric Find

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just saw on MSN (so am sure you're all seeing this) a report of a find of 10,000+ yr old lion cubs! This I personally find extremely interesting and can only wait and hope this new find will be made into a documentary. I do find this type of research fascinating as it is tangible proof of how we lived eons ago and what was roaming the earth way back when. I guess it just symbolizes another piece of an elusive puzzle.

The news article announcing this is by no means extensive but here it is (Just in case you're not getting it in your neck of the world)

10,000-year-old extinct lion cubs discovered in near-perfect condition in Siberian permafrost

Two extinct cave lion cubs were discovered in permafrost in northeastern Siberia, a "sensational" and unprecedented find according to The Siberian Times. The cubs are believed to be at least 10,000 years old, though they might be even older, and were found almost perfectly preserved thanks to the permafrost.

The region where the cubs were discovered, the Sakha Republic, has yielded discoveries before, including woolly mammoths, woolly rhinoceros, bison, and horses. The remains of the lions are the most complete specimens of their kind ever discovered, according to researchers involved.

Cave lions lived during the Middle to Late Pleistocene eras in Eurasia, the British Isles, to the far east of Russia, and into Alaska and northwestern Canada. Their extinction remains something of a mystery because they had few predators and, due to their smaller size, they wouldn't get trapped in bogs like woolly mammoths and rhinos. One theory is that their extinction might have been due to a decline in prey. By studying the cubs, scientists hope to reach firmer conclusions.

Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Re: PreHistoric Find

Post by Jayway »

This is very interesting, do you think the this dating process is anywhere near accurate? Rather makes one feel like an unimportant speck on this planet, so much has gone on before.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: PreHistoric Find

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think the carbon dating is pretty accurate. It is widely used now and what is a hundred years in one direction or another! ;)

I'm hoping for a documentary to be produced soon. These are the kind of documentaries I really enjoy.