Gang Rape in India

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Gang Rape in India

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This has been making major news here in Canada. Not so much in the USA. I don't think "India" is on the radar of the USA so they're not as interested but this is major news in my area. Possibly due to the large Hindu and Sikh populations here however that being said this topic seems on par with some of the issues happening in the middle east with regard to women. I guess to essentially get to the core of the matter is how MEN in these areas of the world see WOMEN which is as property. Am sure in many cases they treat the family dog better.

Also a pretty sad commentary on law enforcement in these areas when they're attitude towards women is equally archaic and they refuse to act.

What has disturbed me more in this case is that not only did the men rape they then hung the girls in a public spot. They wanted to defile and they wanted it seen and known. To me this is another form of terror and for those people living in that area I'd call it domestic terrorism. Very sad commentary.

This is the cut and paste:

New Delhi (CNN) -- A police officer and two other people have been arrested after two teenage girls were gang-raped and left hanging from the branches of a mango tree in a northern Indian village, authorities said Friday.

The shocking attack on the girls -- two cousins aged 14 and 16 -- sparked outrage in the village of Katra Sadatganj and beyond.

Angry villagers protested around the bodies, preventing police from taking them down from the tree for about 15 hours Wednesday, the day after the attack, said Mukesh Saxena, a local police official.

A photo from the village, in the state of Uttar Pradesh, showed the body of one girl, dressed in a green tunic and pants, hanging from the tree. A large group of people, many of them young children, were gathered around the grisly scene.

Police said an autopsy confirmed the girls had been raped and strangled. The cremation of their remains took place late Wednesday night in line with Hindu customs, Saxena said.

Armed police officers have been deployed in the village to prevent any further unrest, he added.

Alleged gang rape, hanging of 2 girls in India sparks global outrage

Police under scrutiny

The girls' families accused three brothers of carrying out the rape and killing. Two of the brothers are now in custody, said R.K.S. Rathore, a deputy-inspector general of police. One was arrested Thursday night, he said.

Police are still searching for the third brother.

The families of the victims have accused local police of initially failing to respond and siding with the suspects when the parents went to report the case. The allegations have fueled anger among the villagers.

Saxena said three police officers have been temporarily suspended for negligence of duty, and one has been arrested.

He said the girls had gone out into the orchard to relieve themselves Tuesday night when they were grabbed by the attackers.

Some people saw the abduction but were unable to stop it, he said, citing eyewitnesses.

'Endemic' violence

The horrific gang rape and murder of a 23-year-old woman in New Delhi in late 2012 shook India, focusing sharp attention on violent crimes against women in the country, the world's second most populous after China.

The case prompted protests in many cities, soul-searching in the media and changes to the law. But shocking instances of sexual violence continue to come to light with grim regularity.

"Laws can only do so much when you have to end something which is as endemic and as entrenched as violence against women," said Divya Iyer, a senior researcher for Amnesty International in Bangalore, India.

The country's new prime minister, Narendra Modi, has said he wants to take steps to make sure woman are safe, particularly in rural India. But women's rights groups have criticized what they say is a lack of specific proposals to tackle the problem, suggesting gender inequality doesn't appear to be high on his list of priorities.

"There is a lot more to do," Iyer told CNN. "That political leadership is unfortunately missing."

Four men convicted over gang rape of photojournalist in Mumbai

'Medieval lawlessness'

An opinion article in The Times of India, a prominent daily newspaper, linked the attack this week to rising crime and a crisis of authority in Uttar Pradesh, which it said was sliding into "medieval lawlessness."

It wasn't immediately clear whether India's entrenched caste system, which continues to cause prejudice and persecution in some rural areas, played a role in the attack. Rathore, the police official, said that the victims and the suspects belonged to different low caste groups.

Zainab Salbi, the founder of Women for Women International, pointed out that "violence against women is a global issue," not limited to developing countries.

But Salbi told CNN that in many Asian and Middle Eastern countries, "the concept of women as property is still a common thing," meaning they don't get treated as equal human beings.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Gang Rape in India

Post by Horus »

What I don't understand is
Some people saw the abduction but were unable to stop it,
why could they not stop it, or report what they saw or called for more help, it all sounds a bit suspect to me after being seen by other people abducting these girls they then carry on with the rape and murder. :x
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Apparently too even after the officials arrived the villagers (men/women/children) refused, for about 15 hours, to bring the girls down.

Doesn't seem much respect for human life. No respect for the dead either.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I could not understand that bit either :ni:
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

It was because they did not want the local police to interfere, they had to do this so the other police force came to investigate. If the bodies were cut down there would be nothing to see and all brushed under the carpet -
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ohhhh - I didn't understand that part.

Seems lately there has been quite a bit on the news re: crimes against women. Question becomes how to change this attitude in men and other women? Given this attitude and behavior has been entrenched for all time it'll be super difficult to even start the conversation and because 50% has no real power in any sense makes it more difficult. And whose responsibility is it too?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I can see that now and it makes some sense, what a sad indictment that they cannot trust their local police, no doubt down to nepotism and family connections perverting local justice. There will never be equality of the sexes whilst we still have such things as caste systems that condemn a large proportion of people to being of lesser worth than others and archaic religious practices that treat women as chattels. I have often wondered about the so called Martyrs, if they get themselves a reward of 72 virgins in heaven, then what does a female (if there is such a thing) martyr get? 72 fine strapping blokes at her beck and call? :urm:
No I didn’t think so either!!! :x
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Besides there being ongoing sexual assaults happening by the minute in India on also finds the caste system, rampant poverty, arranged marriages, mutilating acid attacks, buring via gas/kerosene, infanticide and on and on. Not sure about genital mutilation however that is only one small mercy if it isn't happening.

From my close relationships with some Indian families I do know that women hold an entirely different value from men. The "man" is king and does expect, even in well educated professional homes where to all intents and purposes both male and female partners are equally educated and employed, to be waited on hand and foot. It is demanded and it is given. It is really sad to see and I have to say I've seen it. Seen arranged marriages, the 'talks' that go on between families etc and the undercurrent is definitely not progressive.

Just read an article here about what Jayway said. The villagers didn't allow the bodies to be taken down until this matter could be properly investigated as, it seems, local police had no interest in it. Same article also talks of a 16 yr old who had kerosene thrown on her and set on fire over a land dispute. Tragic and horrendous.