UK holiday bookings down

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

UK holiday bookings down

Post by Horus »

Thomas Cook reported that UK holiday bookings for this year were down by 3% and said it was down to civil unrest in holiday destinations and the really good Summer we have had in the UK.

Meamwhile tour operator Tui have reported that 2/3rds of their package tours are now sold out which may be good news for the Egyptian ecconomy in the comming season, but not if those holidays are to other destinations, which they probably are.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: UK holiday bookings down

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hard to say how Egypt is going to fare in the long run. Takes money to make money and keep everything looking good and neat and nice and in conditions that tourists would want to find. I think Egypt is rather marginal in some of these areas anyway in that neat and clean and sanitary aren't exactly words that comes to mind when thinking about Egypt. Throw in political unrest and downed numbers and one wonders why anybody really wants to go there anyway - except there are the pyramids, VoK and all the history. Hard for me to get my mind around that young people today are really that interested in the pyramids anyway these days but ???

I'd think that tourism worldwide could be down. It was definitely way down last couple of times I went to Hawaii. Dramatic for the emptiness and I can't say that Mexico has exactly been overflowing with tourists either. Too much uncertainty everywhere in the world and I think most people are hunkering down and touring locally. Costs a mint just to get a passport and if you have to provide 'paperwork' for a family even that can start to put a dint in the travel budget.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It's a fact that all those periferal items like re-newing passports, travel insurance, in flight meals, pre-booked seats, travel to and from the airport or long stay parking costs can really add some extra to your initial holiday.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We are having withdrawal symptoms because we can't go to Luxor again this year. :(
However Marrakech is proving to be a good alternative with amazing weather, friendly people, and fascinating sights, sounds and smells. :lol:
Tell you about it soon.....
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Looking forwards to some good piccies and a travelogue to go with them :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Waiting to see all the photos Grandad!

One of my personal gripes re: travel these days is the surcharge now charged on luggage. TWO bags and a carry on was free. Then it was $25 for the second bag with the first free. Now it is $25 for the first suitcase and $40 for the second. I can live out of one suitcase but why not just include this into the ticket price? WHO is going to go for a holiday albeit a week, 2 week to 6months without taking, at least, ONE suitcase?

I dislike immensely the nickel and diming. Just tell me the cost and I'll say yes or no. Don't keep adding another fee another fee another fee.

Nowadays holidays are down cause there are just so many things peripheral to travel that MUST be done.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Will tell you about our trip next week after our return. Bit of a mixed story but Jay, we have not seen one rat. ;)
:gg: