25 arrested after Hotel attacked for 6th time

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

25 arrested after Hotel attacked for 6th time

Post by DJKeefy »

25 arrested after InterContinental Hotel attacked for 6th time.

Egyptian security forces have arrested 25 suspects after the InterContinental Semiramis Hotel on Cairo's Nile Corniche was attacked for the sixth time on Tuesday evening.

The suspects stormed the five-star hotel, set the back door on fire and ransacked the lobby.

Police confiscated a safe filled with jewellery from the suspects. It is believed to have been stolen from one of the shops in the hotel.

"We have evacuated all guests since Tuesday morning and have stopped taking new reservations," Nabila Samak, the hotel's marketing and communication director, said. "The hotel is being viciously targeted."

Security forces have built a concrete wall around the InterContinental and nearby Shepheard's Hotel.

The hotel was attacked for the first time at 2am on Tuesday morning as clashes between protesters and security forces raged nearby.

Dozens of armed looters ransacked the hotel as staff used Twitter to call for help.

A number of protesters responded to the pleas, securing the besieged hotel and helping guests to flee.

The police and army failed to respond to the hotel staff's calls for help.

"Security forces are now securing the hotel but we need much more support than this," Samak said. "We are pleading for help."

The Intercontinental Hotel is one of the most famous luxury hotels in Cairo and lies only a few minutes away from Tahrir Square where protesters have been demonstrating since Friday's second anniversary of the 25 January Revolution.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/63649.aspx

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: 25 arrested after Hotel attacked for 6th time

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Guess 3rd time a charm wasn't working
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

So that's another nail in the tourism coffin then 8)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

One thing protesting on the street and fighting but this seems different and, to me, almost more like looting and looting to me I define when individuals start attacking businesses just "coz" and with the deliberate hope for some sort of gain.

It is definitely another nail and as these nails are being hammered in they're going to take lots more time and trust to rebuild before they can be completely pried out. Tourism is not a manufacturing job where the machines can be turned off and on spitting out a product.

"Country on the Brink" is what is all over the news here. Words no exactly condusive to people planning a holiday or vacation.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I'm afraid I agree with you, it is all getting out of control and I fear that the gennie is out of the bottle and there is no going back, how long before these people start to take their anger out on other assets and property. This lawlessness has crept steadily forward and with each step a new boundary is crossed and it does make you wonder at what point it will stop, if ever, until the military steps back in again and we return back to square one for many years. There is no doubt that a showdown is on the cards between the MB supporters and those who oppose them and if it gains momentum then I would not want to be living there when it all blows up. 8)