Just how safe is it?

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Just how safe is it?

Post by Horus »

I know that the situation was hysterical within Tahrir Square, but this report is very worrying, as it was an attack upon a single woman by a very large group of men. They were not aware of who she was, or that she was a reporter, so why was she singled out for such a brutal attack when the only thing to make her stand out was the fact that she was a Western woman? Thankfully the decency of a group of Egyptian women who came to her rescue prevailed over the mob, maybe this too was a reaction to the sexual intimidation that they have to endure on a daily basis?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110216/twl ... d0ae9.html

JOJO

Post by JOJO »

What a shocking incident!
:x
I was talking to a cafe owner when in Marrakesh and he could not believe that I found Egypt safe. A couple more men joined in the conversation and they were amazed that I hadn't experienced any trouble of that sort when in Egypt.Basically they said that they thought Egyptian men had no respect for women and were known throughout the world as being intimidating to women and gropers!
Mimimay

Post by Mimimay »

Oh JOJO what a shame that the Egyptians are viewed this way, worldwide by the sound of it :( We all know why and we know the sort he means, but I do think it so sad that they are thought of this way :(
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Mimimay wrote:Oh JOJO what a shame that the Egyptians are viewed this way, worldwide by the sound of it :( We all know why and we know the sort he means, but I do think it so sad that they are thought of this way :(
I was surprised how they viewed Egytpian men and found myself defending them but they just rolled their eyes and said Egyptians are gropers. :roll:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

At the height of the revolt many journalists were intimidated and there was a strong suspicion around that the crowds were infiltrated with Israeli and government spies.

I can understand their suspicions but that in no way excuses the treatment of this or any other journalist. One would hope that, with the promises that have come from the military leaders, a period of restraint will now prevail at least until the elections. That could however be another period of unrest if what is offered falls short of expectations.

Jojo, I think men in any country or culture are a basically similar cross section from the good to the bad. Look at some of the scum that we have here and unfortunately, to the world looking in, they can be viewed as representative of all men (and many women).
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Stereotyping is never good but that being said 'impressions' are formed when a certain pattern of behaviour or actions is common enough for observers to note it. I'm positive there are many many very decent Egyptians but I think some of their own beliefs (i.e. a single solo woman out and about on her own is probaby 'seeking' male attention) and actions have contributed to how the world views them.

I heard all about the assault on this woman journalist and I have to say that when I was watching CNN early on in this upset one of the women News Reporters with TV News Man Anderson Cooper was wearing a skimpy sleeveless top. This was just after News Crews where being told to get out and this group from CNN opted to broadcast an entire news show from a flat somewhere around Tahrir Square. I do not remember the name of this News Woman but OMG her 'dress' was barely fit for American TV. The thought that kept going through my brain was how totally ignorant of other cultures customs American really are as this particular woman was NOT dressed in any way to be out in public in Egypt. She also did talk about be groped and grabbed and they had a very short excerpt of her with an Egyptian man who 'rescued' her from other Egyptian men by saying "she is mine" etc. etc. etc. to the crowd.

Just my 2 pence worth on this topic ;)
Morgita

Post by Morgita »

I've contributed to discussions of this sort before on the blue side and always ended up getting a roasting. I still maintain that it's not rocket science to have as a baseline behaviour that it is unacceptable to lay hands on another human being without their consent. I recall other women putting hands on my pregnant belly (in Britain) and feeling almost murderous. I lived in Paris as a very young woman and endured the semi-professional gropers of the Metro. These are men who ride the trains in rush hour for the specific purpose of groping with impunity. It's not just an Egyptian problem but Egypt is one of the few cultures where the woman is almost exclusively blamed for thhe problem.