Egypt opens border with Gaza

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Egypt opens border with Gaza

Post by Horus »

Egypt has just opened its border with Gaza to allow ambulances to cross into Egypt.

jewel

Post by jewel »

So egypt drops the ball ....again :roll:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I would not put it that way, after all showing that humanitarian acts come before doctrine cannot be a bad thing.
LivinginLuxor

Post by LivinginLuxor »

What planet is Jewel living on, if she thinks that medical aid should not be given to wounded civilians?
jewel

Post by jewel »

What planet is Jewel living on, if she thinks that medical aid should not be given to wounded civilians?
The same one as Hamas stan who refused to let egypt receive the wounded through the rafah crossing! unlessit is opened for the entire 1 & 1/2 milliom gazans........think about it
http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2008/12/28/62955.html
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Good point :) why after all this time have the bordering Arab countries not dealt with the Palestinian refugee problem? Is it in their own political interest to to keep the problem festering?
jewel

Post by jewel »

You may be right there H - this article has a valid point on the gaza situation
http://www.alarabiya.net/views/2009/01/01/63253.html

Also I was in agreement with tzipi livni when she explained Israels actions - she has a no nonsense approach which is what the situation calls for or there will never be any peace in the region, after all it has rumbled on and on, and very unfortunate hamas hides among civilians but that is the nature of the beast.
On yahoo news:
Israel's foreign minister says the Jewish state had "no alternative" but to launch a series of attacks in Gaza.
Tzipi Livni (TSIH'-pee LIHV'-nee) said her country "tried everything in order to avoid this military operation," but that Israel would not live under attack by Hamas.
Livni said, "Israel is looking to give its citizens a decent life, the right to live in peace and quiet like any other citizens in the world."
The foreign minister, interviewed Monday on CBS's "The Early Show," said she wishes Israel could live in peace, "but this is not the situation unfortunately."
The Bush administration has blamed the renewed violence on Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip. The United States said Hamas broke a cease-fire by firing rockets and mortars deep into Israeli territory. The Arab world, however, has reacted with rage to the aggressive Israeli counterattacks, which has killed and injured hundreds.
LivinginLuxor

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Sorry Jewel, but Hamas is the democratically elected party of government in Gaza. The US and allies insisted on fair elections, but for them the result was not the right democratically elected government. Hence the blockade of Gaza to punish the people living in the biggest concentration camp on the planet for voting for the wrong party!

None of the rockets, by the way, have penetrated deep into Israeli territory, as that territory was taken illegally by the Israelis. And as in 8 years, only around 20 Israelis have been killed by these obsolete weapons, compared to the 1000s of Palestinians who have died in that time, surely even you must consider the Israeli responses to be totally out of all proportion.
jewel

Post by jewel »

I am afraid that at the end of the day everyone has a right to live in peace and until the rockets stop and suicide bombers etc cease and the supporters and promoters of such activities are given the clear message that this type of behaviour is not acceptable, there is no hope of that, therefore indeed I feel that a tough response is required (possibly more so than we have seen to date) otherwise the situation will continue ad infinitum....ad nauseum. I am afraid past history and numbers just do not figure in this game ....the current situation is the one to be dealt with :)
jewel

Post by jewel »

Yes hamas may have been elected democratically ....but how democratically as I seem to remember a lot of palestinians - christians had reservations at the time :)
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/01/news/islam.php

and I quote from the article:
In the end, many Palestinians, even devout Muslims, said they believed Hamas understood that it was elected to bring to government honesty and strength, not Islamic rule.
Bahiega Isiefan, 19, a student at Al Quds University who wears a head scarf, said her mother was worrying last weekend that one son about to be married would not be allowed, under the new Hamas leadership, to have a wedding with music. Isiefan said she could not believe Hamas would risk its new power so recklessly.
"We are Muslims; we respect Islam," she said. "But we don't want things to get complicated by religious fanaticism."
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

LivinginLuxor wrote:Sorry Jewel, but Hamas is the democratically elected party of government in Gaza. The US and allies insisted on fair elections, but for them the result was not the right democratically elected government. Hence the blockade of Gaza to punish the people living in the biggest concentration camp on the planet for voting for the wrong party!
It's my understanding that the blockade, which had nothing to do with the US, is because Hamas keeping lobbing rockets and sending suicide bombers into Israel while refusing to negotiate at all. Not very responsible for a government elected to take care of their people. Egypt is a party to that blockade. What are other arab countries doing to help these poor people?
"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain
KJB

Post by KJB »

Take a look at this article for a likely answer to that question:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 20048.html

Does anyone else find this so very disheartening? I despair for the survival of the human race and, maybe we shouldn't survive as a species when we have so much rotteness as part of our make-up. :cry:
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

All I got was some advertisements from that link. :(
"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The link worked OK for me in the UK :)