US Air Strike killing Qassem Soleimani

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

US Air Strike killing Qassem Soleimani

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Strangely Canadian News Media is reporting this but nobody is offering much of an opinion unlike the US News media that is all over the place ranging from this terrific to the worst possible thing that could have ever happened. There are Media people (movie star types who think people care about their opinions) tweeting that this man was a "revered military genius & leader" whilst others are lumping him in the same category as Hitler.

White House is claiming he had active plans to attack and is now setting the tone that if the US is attacked they're going to strike back harder.

Am of a mixed mind about this but I do rather think that peace through strength works.

How is your News Media reporting this? As a good thing? Or an "oh no should never have happened?"

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: US Air Strike killing Qassem Soleimani

Post by Grandad »

I didn't see the midday news LLL but the immediate reaction seems to be one of grave concern.
A learned professor on international affairs this morning criticised Trump for not taking full account of his actions. He said even Bush and Obama recognised what a dangerous man Soleimani was but resisted taking action against him calculating that to do so would be far worse than the invasion of Iraq.
I believe the Russians are also expressing concern over Trumps action and, if it comes to taking sides, which side would the Russians side with?
As for little old Britain, if the muck hits the fan, we are bound to be drawn into it taking account of how the US has come to our aid in the past. That would not be popular here, not least because of the large muslim population resident in the UK.
Whatever, it could either escalate rapidly in the coming days and weeks OR Iran may think better than to take on the US.
Interesting days ahead but, we have Boris at our helm and I am not too sure he is at the behest of Trump as Blair was to Bush in 2003.....
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am in the States right now and found it interesting this afternoon to watch Military helicopters flying over and then landing in quite odd places IN the City.

Am back at the hotel now and seeing on TV News that Iran started lobbing missiles at US compounds earlier today.

I think Trump WILL (not at doubt in my mind) retaliate big time for this.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well it looks as if the complete 'C*ck Up' by Iran's military may have contributed to an easing of tension in the region. Many lives lost and egg on the face of the Iranian leadership. The tables seemed to have turned with Iranian people now becoming anti government. Hopefully the heat has been turned down.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Definitely. I have no idea why they didn't clear air space. Why was a commerical airliner allowed to be taking off in the midst of military action?