ASWAN trip

Get the best advice about your holiday in Egypt.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

ASWAN trip

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun May 16, 2010 4:35 pm

Any thoughts or suggestions on the BEST time of year to visit Aswan?

And any tips as to the best and most scenic way to get to Aswan from Luxor and where have you stayed that is better or worse?

Want to include Aswan, Abu Simbel next trip but need to start the plans now.

Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine » Mon May 17, 2010 11:22 am

LLL there ae a couple of ways to get there, you could book a nile cruise 4 days from lux to aswan this would include a trip round aswan and an option to fly to abu simbel which is very scenic plus you get the bonus of also being able to visit esna edfu and komombo, prices vary but the best deal ive ever had is from american express office winter palace in luxor.
Or you can go by road, about 4 hours to aswan, depending on where u r staying your hotel should be able to help u to organise this, they will also have places recomended to stay.
This is of course a less scenic route.
But it does afford you more time in aswan.
Also about 3-4 hours from aswan to abu-simbel by road if memory serves me corrsctly, prices for this would also vary, you would save a lot of money by avoiding booking with a tour operator, failing all of the above there is Keefy :)

Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine » Mon May 17, 2010 11:29 am

Its warmer in aswan and abu-simbel so depending on how hot you like it my advice would be go later in the year autumn , october is good but when ever you go its going to be warmer than Lux, happy planning.
Tip while you are there hire a felluca and visit Kitcheners botanical gardens , Elephantine Isle, The mausoleum ( aga khan ) so thinking about it you may be better off going by road??
The high damn needs to be seen its huge.
Also there is the Temple of Isis, Philae, its lovely there.
So much to do, so little time !!

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis » Tue May 18, 2010 7:09 am

Agree with Christine! It is the best place on the Nile for feluccas as it has such a variety of scenery... tree-covered rocky islands, sand dunes, camel-trains, villages and the city itself.

Go by cruise, or if you prefer land, try the train which is about 3 hours and gets very close to houses and through fields and then right beside the river and desert by turns.

You must stay a night at Abu Simbel and see the Sound and Light Show... by far the best in Egypt. Stay at Seti I Hotel... only two to choose from, both government operated (say no more!) and the best one. My clients enjoyed it as it is right on Lake Nasser and every room with a view, is not some giant sterile tower but little semi-detached blocks, had a very good buffet and helpful staff.

Philae Island S and L Show is probably the second best choice... but IMHO there is too much sitting down and listening to voices with coloured lights flashing on and off. Abu S has great graphics as well.

Basma Hotel has the best location, with a lovely garden terrace over-looking all, but might be too expensive. Ditto the Old Cataract.

Visit the Coptic Cathedral and ask for a lovely lady called Manar who will give you a free tour (just make a small donation at the end).

Don't forget the Western Quarry with the Unfinished Obelisk... take water as it is very exposed to the sun and involves many stairs, but well worth it.

Have a great time! ;) :)

BENNU

Post by BENNU » Wed May 19, 2010 12:26 am

- Isis Island is one of the places that feel like home to me! It is a tranquile island in the middle of the Nile with views of the town with Old Cataract, Nubian architecture, the ruins of Abu and the Mausuleum of Aga Khan, the desert, birds, flowers - life and magic surrounding you. Just sailing there you feel privilileged to get away to your beautiful place, but it really is central and a lovely place to return after a long day. The Nile is fragrant and extremely beautiful in the south, like the entire landscape, and this piece of nature is divine.

- Since I am in Upper Egypt anyway, I go there in the summertime to have the pool to myself and enjoy the view while I float, but I go back in November, when it is just wonderful and the weather allows you to get around. The whole island is a five star hotel, but I book it through hotels4u.com with an incredible value.

- The Nubian Museum is a very important place to go!

- I haven't been tempted to attend the Sound and Light at Philae Temple, but I can easily spend the whole day there... :angel:

- For a long time I have been planning to go today :!: But I'll have to stay here in Luxor juuuust because I spend all my money on a trip to Tuscany this summer, so I guess nobody feels sorry for me... 8)

Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine » Thu May 20, 2010 9:11 pm

Nope u r right we dont ;)

A-four

P{ost

Post by A-four » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Bennu I shall be writting a major post on Upper Egypt, which will include Asswan, I hope it will help you in future discoverys there. It is such a beautiful place Christine, I don't know if you know it well, but when I write up my essay I hope it will help in future tours there. Best Wishes.

A-four

Post.

Post by A-four » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:54 pm

The first essay will be on the West Bank Luxor, then my final essay will be Upper Egypt in mid July. But do not tell that lot on the blue zone.

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:55 am

[quote="BENNU"]- Isis Island is one of the places that feel like home to me! It is a tranquile island in the middle of the Nile with views of the town with Old Cataract, Nubian architecture, the ruins of Abu and the Mausuleum of Aga Khan, the desert, birds, flowers - life and magic surrounding you. Just sailing there you feel privilileged to get away to your beautiful place, but it really is central and a lovely place to return after a long day. The Nile is fragrant and extremely beautiful in the south, like the entire landscape, and this piece of nature is divine.

- Since I am in Upper Egypt anyway, I go there in the summertime to have the pool to myself and enjoy the view while I float, but I go back in November, when it is just wonderful and the weather allows you to get around. The whole island is a five star hotel, but I book it through hotels4u.com with an incredible value.

So glad to hear this, as that is where my next tour is staying! :)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:23 am

My gf just got back from Aswan. She reckoned it to be "baked in an oven" as most of the days she was there the temperatures were 50+C.......BAKED is the word however she too remarks on the absolute beauty of Aswan.

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:06 am

Not surprised... my first trip 8 years ago was in January i.e. the middle of winter, and we were getting 28 - 30 degrees. :sd:

sue

Post by sue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:22 pm

I prefer to go to Aswan by train, it feels more leisurely. Sitting back in air con carriages watching the world go by. If I remember rightly it takes about 2 1/2 to 3 hours and only cost us about £6 English return fare but that was a couple of years ago.
On one occasion we stayed at The Basra at the top of a hill past the Museum, lovely place with beautiful views, another time we stayed on an Island at the Pyramis Isis a sprawling pink hotel that has a motorboat shuttle 24 hours a day, I thought both were good but the Basra was closer to the real life in a way.
My worst stay was in a back street hotel, so bad I can't even remember the name of it, electric wires hanging out of the wall and door locks that were very dodgy.
It is always at least 10C hotter there than in Luxor.

BENNU

Post by BENNU » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:38 pm

- It is not always hotter, but often ten degrees. Last year I prolonged my stay, as it was suddenly going to bevery hot in Luxor, more than Aswan, and my a/c did not work in Luxor. It was November and the sun had not heated up the granite, which is what makes Aswan stay very hot for a long time.

- Of course, when I run away from Luxor, I love to stay in resorts -retreats for me - that I would probably find boring if I would just spend a week or two in Egypt, and would want to get closer to "real life". Sue's post just reminded me of that!

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:14 am

sue, I think you mean the Basma Hotel that I mentioned above.

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:26 pm

Aswan is beautiful, and the Nubian people are a race apart! So friendly! Time to go - well, October is still very warm at all times; November, the heat is beginning to abate but it's still warm; December is lovely during the day although sometimes you could do with a light jacket or cardigan, but the nighttime can be quite cold, especially if you are staying on one of the islands and travel back and forth by ferry; January can be bitterly cold in the early morning and evenings!

Places to see: The Sound and Light at Philae is well worth a trip. The Tombs of the Nobles ditto. San Simeon's Monastery is worthwhile too - even if it's just to have it all to yourself with no other tourists around! Kalabsha is also somewhere to go for a half day visit. Abu Simbel is a must!!! It is awesome! I've seen it 3 times and it never fails to excite me! :)

Places to eat: One particular floating resaurant on the Corniche is the Aswan Moon. Good food; friendly staff and very cheap. Chef Kalil is a great (but small) fish restaurant in the souk. Highly recommended! :D El Masry (behind the Corniche, approx. the 3rd street behind) is good for local food but gets packed when the tour boats dock. The Nubian Restaurant on Essa Island is excellent. Catch the free ferry opposite Egyptair. The other Nubian Restaurant is up the hill near the Basma. Great views over the first cataract.

Places to stay: The Isis Island (not to be confused with the Isis on the Corniche!) is fine but the service is diabolical and very slow. The Basma has great views but always seems a bit dark to me, although it's quite a poular hotel. The Cataract is closed for refurbishment. The Movenpick on Elephantine Island is the best hotel in town IMHO! Quite pricey but worth it for the comfort level.

I hope this info. helps a little, LLL. :)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:19 am

Ohhh yessss I'm collecting up ALL this info. Have never made it to Aswan but it is a 'must go to'! Thank you for the tips RS. They're GREAT and truly appreciated too!

Karenh

Post by Karenh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:02 pm

I agree with everyone Aswan is abeautiful and HOT place with so many things to see, the people are lovely Ohilae and Abu Simbel are awsome I cant wait to go back!
A day without laughter is a day wasted :lol: ;)